EGR Delete and Head Studs - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 06:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGR Delete and Head Studs

I just bought a 2004 6.0 with 128,000 miles. It came with a K&N intake on it already and recently I put on a 4" straight pipe (turbo back). I want to do the EGR delete so I just purchased the Sinister Diesel kit. My questions is what else do I need to make my truck reliable and ready for a tune. Is an Oil cooler necessary? What about doing the Head Studs and gaskets? What are the best and where should I get them? Anyone have an opinion on doing any of this work yourself? Looking forward to the feedback. Thanks in advance!

JT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 06:34 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Read post #2.

04 harley
Old 11-06-2012, 07:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks so much!!
Old 11-07-2012, 04:50 AM
Powerstroke Techie

JT, now that you have read those links, you'll need to start with a monitor solution.

After you have checked your ECT/EOT delta, fuel psi, FICMv and OBDII codes, you'll know if your gonna need to fix/replace any issues that will need to be addressed while you have the top of the motor off for a EGR delete.

It's up to you when to do head studs, some guys stud the motor as a preventive measure, some guys wait until it happens. There are several current threads floating around where members have done their own head stud installs, even one guy who has done the install wearing flippy floppies!! LOL!!

Welcome to the ORG!! Feel free to ask a lot of questions, their is alway someone ready to answer, especially the one member who gets to be a post wh0re!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App
Old 11-07-2012, 05:35 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Everything said above is spot on. Not sure if he was referring to me or not, but I did my own head gasket replacement in my garage with the cab on in my flip flops and shorts. It's not that bad of a job really. I just recommend having a cherry picker for lifting the heads out and putting them back in as well as 1/2in 25-250ftlb and 3/8in 10-100ftlb torque wrenches.

I also can't stress enough that you NEED a monitoring device. Such as a Dash Boss, Edge CTS, ScanGauge II, or at worst analog gauges. For monitoring temps, I would really just get either the Dash Boss or Edge CTS. Best mod you'll ever do.

Also welcome to the .ORG. Let us know if you have more questions. Great bunch of guys here. Take care.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrunner408 View Post
I also can't stress enough that you NEED a monitoring device. Such as a Dash Boss, Edge CTS, ScanGauge II, or at worst analog gauges. For monitoring temps, I would really just get either the Dash Boss or Edge CTS. Best mod you'll ever do.
I'd also like to add our new Infinity system to this list of monitoring devices. It's a true all in one unit that can display all your parameters, hold custom tunes, datalog and work as a diagnostics scanner.

Running a post Election Sale on them today as well...
INFINITY-DX Touch Screen 6.0L NOW AVAILABLE (Order today thru Dec. 31st, 2012 and get the introductory price of $549.00) - Featured Products
Old 11-07-2012, 06:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrunner408 View Post
Everything said above is spot on. Not sure if he was referring to me or not, but I did my own head gasket replacement in my garage with the cab on in my flip flops and shorts. It's not that bad of a job really. I just recommend having a cherry picker for lifting the heads out and putting them back in as well as 1/2in 25-250ftlb and 3/8in 10-100ftlb torque wrenches.

Also welcome to the .ORG. Let us know if you have more questions. Great bunch of guys here. Take care.
I think he meant Bryan lol
Old 11-07-2012, 07:11 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Between Nate and Bryan, flippy floppies will become a head stud install standard!! He He!

Now we just need a pic of Shawn wearing BPD banana hammock! Buahahahahaha!

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App
Old 11-07-2012, 08:25 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob@DP-Tuner View Post
I'd also like to add our new Infinity system to this list of monitoring devices. It's a true all in one unit that can display all your parameters, hold custom tunes, datalog and work as a diagnostics scanner.

Running a post Election Sale on them today as well...
INFINITY-DX Touch Screen 6.0L NOW AVAILABLE (Order today thru Dec. 31st, 2012 and get the introductory price of $549.00) - Featured Products
Unless this thing can support custom tunes from main stream custom tune writers, I would stick with the SCT X3 or SF3 and then use either a Dash Boss or Edge CTS for monitoring.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:12 AM

I recently had the EGR delete and ARP headstuds done. While the mechanic had the truck he installed the Edge insight and EGT probe. I also had a turbo timer installed on it to hopefully prolong the life of the motor/turbo. Its currently set to 2 minutes to "cool down" I currently have the Edge insight set to the 8 perimeters. Only downside is I don't know what half of them are :/ or what they stand for. Any help would be appreciated. Just want to know what the abbreviations mean and what they should be at operating temp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
egr delete, head gaskets, head studs, oil cooler, powerstroke 6.0

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.