Nate's Version Of The Stage 3 (MTW Stage 3.5) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 10:51 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Nate's Version Of The Stage 3 (MTW Stage 3.5)

Just when you thought the craziness was getting close to plateauing, the MTW Team has done it again with a new ingredient for MADDNESS and have OFFICIALLY left the reservation of known turbine/compressor combinations. We are truly in a frontier that is uncharted and previously unexplored.

We were getting ready for the Deep South Dyno event in Dallas, GA and I had asked Adrian to update the Hackey Sack Prototype Stage 3 turbo to a current Stage 3 turbine end and the wheel Adrian had planned to use ended up being trashed because it looked like a beaver had eaten the blades off of it. So I showed Adrian a dimension and an emergency machining session was scheduled with his machinist, and about three hours later a new turbo was born.

I won't say much as I will leave that to Adrian. He had thought of doing this for a while, I just showed him that it was already possible. The bottom line though is that this here is the biggest turbine stuffed into ANY light duty diesel VGT turbo (powerstroke, duraturd, or cummings).

So I got the turbo on and tried to run it with my favorite Stage 3 tune and wasn't even close for driveability. I will have to get some tuning done for it for sure and soon. I also didn't get a chance to to see what sort of power and boost it puts out as we had to go. So iwe threw it on the trailer and headed out. I have no idea what to expect tomorrow. I just hope nothing goes boom.

As always, we will post the results when we get them. It's just crazy how something pops up and bam there's a new turbo. Stay tune for the development of this bad boy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 05:11 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Sweet! I can't wait to see and hear about the results!
Old 11-03-2012, 06:31 AM
Premium Member

I will be keeping an eye on this, subscribed. Good luck today.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to extremlx
Nate your are going to have to quit improving the stage 3, you making making me jealous! LOL
Old 11-03-2012, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Waiting anxiously for the numbers Nate.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:34 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Old 11-03-2012, 10:14 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Old 11-03-2012, 11:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Hold on let me get some popcorn and beer. and i wanna see some turbo pics!!!
Old 11-04-2012, 01:14 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Well we got the turbo on the truck and I started it up and took the truck out for a test drive and I couldn't get it to spool the turbo to save its life. Turbo felt like it was flowing more at given boost levels but it felt like it was REALLY hesitant. I didn't get on to the turbo because I didn't really know what was going on with everything and for all I knew, the truck felt like it did when I put the Stage 3 on and tried to run it with a performance tune for a Stock turbo down low so I just let it go and put the truck on the trailer so we could get on the road and go to the dyno event.

Well about 3/4 of the way there, the truck towing mine lost an injector due to the hold down loosening and blowing the seals so we had to pull the truck off the trailer and pull the towing truck and trailer to a truck stop so we could continue on to the dyno event and come back when it was done.

On the way there, spool up was horrible and EGTs could 1300F without even trying while running down the highway. In fact, I ran the truck at like 80-85mph to keep the turbo spooled.

On the dyno, the guy operating the truck for me had a VERY tough time getting it to light. In fact, out of four attempts, he only got the turbo to light twice and when it did, it was when the truck was over 90 mph and I put down 559 and 558hp with 38-39 psi of boost. Well after we were done we were definitely scratching our heads because we know that this truck has more in it than that but the turbo just wasn't allowing it to come out.

So we load up, start the truck back up, and start driving home; and immediately the turbo starting responding better and after about 5 mins in some more stop and go traffic, the turbo was responding and spooling quicker than the Stage 3 and building boost as fast as the stock turbo. I wanted to head back and redyno but we had a truck that was 100 miles away that needed to be fixed so that was the priority unfortunately. We stopped about 15 miles away for Adrian to get some coolant for his truck so I shut mine down and loaded up my Xtreme X tune that I had because it had better tranny shifting for the way the turbo would behave and I drove the rest of the way home. I don't know if the truck has been learning or not but it feels WAY stronger than it ever did with the Stage 3 before and spools up super fast. I'm gonna get some videos of it here in the next day or two and I'll post em up to show how responsive the turbo is. I know right now my fuel economy is WAY up and the truck just sounds so good and is even more quiet. In fact the drone that my stack made when I was doing about 72mph has almost gone away.

So while the dyno event was a bust, we did get some good data logging done with the Stage 2 (w/billet wheel) towing 16k on Vivian's tow tune and we learned some more about what does what with turbos. We'll get numbers on this and post em up. I know when I was driving the Stage 3 around before, I had serious doubts as to whether or not it could work well as a towing turbo but after doing this turbine mod, I have no doubts now that this will make an excellent towing setup with 190/100s.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:34 PM
Premium Member

Before anyone one ask, I'm not saying anything about the size of the turbine, it is bigger than the orginal and there was more to do than just a quick machining. The turbine wheel also needed tweeked to fit to get all the torerances to work. It was something I showed Nate awhile ago and there still is one more mod I plan on to even go bigger. Now as far as this wheel it seems to be a winner and the art of matching turbine wheels is a very hard one, do to the many trim and different sizes, the turbine area is very very sensitive to any little changes. I do believe that this change not only helps the turbo spool but also makes it more powerful. I also will be modding my turbo, and moving up to stage 4. Why? well stage 3 is a really good turbo I'm not happy with the amount of smoke of the injectors at all. Even tho the smoke is caused by tuning and turbo not spolling when it needs too, and my issues with my truck,(up pipe leaking, head gasket or head) I love more air than smoke so I really want to clear the fuel big time. I do think that the MAD truck will be hitting new numbers nobody as seen I'm no saying a word untill it happens, I will tell everone the things I did to truck(combo) but that's afterwards.

The reason I'm not yelling anyone what wheel it is or what I had to do to wheel is it is a MTW secret like some of the other tweeks that I won't tell, so I continue to stay as one of the top builders. Thanks, Adrian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.