Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

coolant questions

670 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Gearhead2012 
#1 ·
Most people say to flush out your coolant and use "cat elc" i beleive is what its called. But im wondering is all green coolant the same? I work at a "haydite" mine and we have lots of CAT equipment d9's, haul truck, shovel, loaders and we use a green coolant that says it meets and exceeds the cat elc standard along with cummins and a bunch of other standards. I have used it in my truck for a year and a half and im just wondering if i should continue using it or flush it and go with the proven cat coolant?

#2 ·
No, not all green antifreeze is created the same. Most of the standard parts store fare doesn't do well with the high temps of an egr cooler...it breaks down the coolant which in turn gums up the oil cooler, leading to higher oil temps. I use rotella ELC, it's pretty highly rated, but also pretty hard to find, it's pretty new, only about a year old. Some international dealers carry it. There's a rating, and I can't fo the life of mine remember what it is...I'm sure someone will chime in, but whatever that rating is called, it is what it should used in order to not break down. Any coolant with that rating, delvac, or a few others also ranked high. Cat has several standards by which their fuilds are rated, like different benchmarks, to kind of "grade" differences in the coolant. I think it's Cat-EL9 or something like that, but don't quote me, it's 3am now, and I have slept maybe 6 hours in the last 2 days...I've learned you can be far more productive if you just don't sleep...lol. I've been up till 2 am putting my sh!t wagon back together 2 days this week, then going to work at 5, lol. And, wouldn't ya know, after 4 redbulls and 2 cups of coffee to make it through the day, I can't sleep, lol.

Anyway, here's Mitch's link:
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0-maintanence-info/203548-flushing-cleaning-6-0-a.html

Good info here too:
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-...er-still-difference-temps-21.html#post2063212

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.