I learned more about my truck - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 07:37 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I learned more about my truck

As many of you may know, the previous owner of my truck had done quite a few mods to it before selling it to me. When I bought the truck he gave me a list of the mods he did, and I based my own grocery list of mods off what he had already done. He had quite a few receipts, and I was able to verify some of the other mods; like studs, regulated return, EGR delete, etc.; just by looking at it.

Well, I ran into him on a construction site just last Friday, and he informed me that there was some things that he forgot to tell me about.Apparently, in addition to the mods that I knew about, he also informed me that the truck had 205cc injectors, not 185s like he originally said, ported and fire-ringed heads, coated pistons, cam, studded mains, and high strength steel oil pump gears. Unfortunately, he couldn't remember the name of the engine shop that did the work, and only knew that parts came from Elite. Being the resourceful individual that I am, I called Elite and got his past invoices from 2008. The invoices verified that he had ordered ported (not fire-ringed) heads, 185/70 injectors so what he told me when I bought it was correct, Stage 1 Cam, and several other parts that I already confirmed. So I am excited about my ported heads and stage 1 cam, maybe that is why I don't know what turbo lag feels like...

But, I would like to verify the other stuff he mentioned. The heads he bought were not fire-ringed, but it is possible that the shop that did the work had them fire-ringed and did the main studs, coated pistons, and oil pump gears while they had it. It is also possible that his memory is not perfect. Does anyone have any idea how I could tell if the truck has fire-ringed heads or studded mains or coated pistons without taking it apart?

Meanwhile I am trying to find the engine shop that did the work. Sure would be nice to find out they did rods too... I guy can dream right
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2012, 07:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Interesting that may be why your powermax never has any dead spots for sure
Old 10-22-2012, 07:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
damn wish I had luck like that
Old 10-22-2012, 02:47 PM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by scparrish View Post
Interesting that may be why your powermax never has any dead spots for sure
Probably.

I think I may need to invest in a bore scope and see what is in there next time I change the oil or pull an injector...
Old 10-22-2012, 02:57 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Adam without contacting the engine builder directly and giving them the vin of the truck and not pulling it apart I don't think there is a way to verify o-ring heads. Try seeing if you can see the head gasket tab that sticks out from in between the head and block. If you can see it and get a part number to cross reference that may be one way to tell.

I know an engine builder up here that fire rings his heads and they use a cloth or cork type head gasket to seal the mating surfaces as the fire ring they use is very good at keeping compression in the cylinders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.