new diesel owner and new motor build - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2012, 10:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
new diesel owner and new motor build

Bought the truck just over a year ago, first diesel 2005 King Ranch 2wd. Now it looks like my truck has a very small head gasket leak and the injectors are starting to give me problems, put over 45k miles on it, reads 168K now. After things going wrong and paying lots of money to have them repaired I've started doing research on how to make my truck work with how I drive it. I roadraced sportbikes for years as a somewhat pro and owned a shop for many years. Now the shop is closed for customers and I only mess with my stuff now. Having said I'm a racer, I drive this truck like a sports car and enjoy performance vehicles. What I don't want is a bunch of aftermarket parts that get expensive with little gains and take money to instal, plus make you buy something else to go with it or monitor that and something else. This is my daily driver and it has to be totally streetable for in town and long trips, I don't tow very often and it isn't much usually. All that said this is a list of what I plan to instal with a friend of mine that is a FORD diesel tech specializing in 6.0l motors. Let me know if I'm missing something or overkill on anything. Also, vivian will be tuning my truck when it is all together.

ARP head studs
OEM head gaskets
IPR stage II EGR delete
IPR collant filter system
*ATS coolant recirculator kit (is this needed?)
Electric fans
new radiator cap (discount #10238)(already installed)
OEM Degas bottle(just installed)
*Bullet Proof water pump(if it looks good should I replace it?)
CAT ELC collant
Diamond exhaust turbo back 4" w/resinator & cat delete
Blue spring upgrade(already installed)
*Stage I fuel lines (is this needed or just do 6.4 banjos?)
*Fuel X over stainless steel line(is this needed?)
SCT Ts 5015 with custom tunes & probe for monitoring
GoGo tranny selenoid(new filter,gasket,fluid)
Tru Trac rear diff. with 08 aluminum cover and new fluid
AFE cold air intake(sealed box with zoodad mod)(was a gift so it's already installed)
CFM+ intake kit(I need a new metal tube w/boots & this kit is just a little more $)
Mad Turbo Werks stage II
OEM thermostat
OEM update parts(turbo lines,stand pipes,Glow plugs,dummy plugs,HPOP kit)
OEM ALL hoses and belt
CCV mod

My FICM was just repaired and programmed so it's staying until I can shell out the cash for the Bullet Proof or that would be on the list. My oil cooler just got replaced with a new OEM also or I would change it out as well.

I need injectors but not sure what to get. Was going with 190cc and do the fuel system but can't afford it and the gains are not worth it when the steup I have mapped out should make 500hp on stock fuel system and 155 or 175s. What should I go with and what nozzle? I will be getting these injectors from Warren, thoughts on that appreciated(I've read only good things). The second part of my question: Should I just do 6.4l banjos or run stage 1 stainless fuel lines? Also should I run a stainless X over fuel line? Thanks guys.

Last edited by roadracer669; 10-21-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2012, 12:32 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Wow man you have quite a list. Here is what I recommend doing. I recommend doing this in stages. This does two things. 1) It allows you to see how what mods affect what so this way if you do something and it ends up hurting performance, you know where to look. 2) It saves you some money or rather allows you to pay as you go sort of deal. Could be worth it to you or may not. Here is my list for you based on what you are wanting to do.

1st Stage of build:
ARP head studs
OEM head gaskets
IPR stage II EGR delete
IPR collant filter system
*ATS coolant recirculator kit (is this needed?) Not really needed but I haven't heard anything bad about them and would do them if/when I do my heads again.
new radiator cap (discount #10238)(already installed)
OEM Degas bottle(just installed)
*Bullet Proof water pump(if it looks good should I replace it?) You can if you want to. You definitely wouldn't have to worry about it after that.
CAT ELC collant
Diamond exhaust turbo back 4" w/resinator & cat delete
Blue spring upgrade(already installed)
*Stage I fuel lines (is this needed or just do 6.4 banjos?)* I wouldn't do anything with the fuel system yet.
*Fuel X over stainless steel line(is this needed?)*
SCT Ts 5015 with custom tunes & probe for monitoring- I would recommend a SCT SF3 or X3 w/custom tunes and either an Edge CS/CTS, Dashboss, and/or gauges.
GoGo tranny selenoid(new filter,gasket,fluid)
Tru Trac rear diff. with 08 aluminum cover and new fluid
AFE cold air intake(sealed box with zoodad mod)(was a gift so it's already installed)
CFM+ intake kit(I need a new metal tube w/boots & this kit is just a little more $)
OEM thermostat
OEM update parts(turbo lines,stand pipes,Glow plugs,dummy plugs,HPOP kit)
OEM ALL hoses and belt
CCV mod

2nd Stage of build:
MTW Stage 2 Turbo
Injectors
FICM
Fuel System

3rd Stage
Tranny
Intake Manifold
Exhaust Manifolds

If you want 500hp, the MTW Stage 2 and 175s should MORE than do it with a healthy HPO system, Fuel system, and right tuning. As far as doing the oil cooler goes, I would just slap one in since you are already that far into the motor. I would just make sure I did a coolant flush and ran the coolant filter before you tear into it so you could hopefully get a bunch of stuff to clog your current oil cooler and coolant filter and not clog your new one. Hope this helps man and welcome to the .ORG.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.