what will i gain with more voltage - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 06:23 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Post what will i gain with more voltage

i am not that sharp with the ficm units ( fuel injection control module) i would like to know if it this is a point of running a higher voltage ficm unit than stock on a stock truck????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2012, 06:51 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I'm curious as to whether they can tune the 58v ficm and if so, what kind of bennifit that might give. I see on swamps site where they offer a 48v, 58v, and they also offer tuning from php. My question is if they will tune a 58v...not to hijack.

Also, while we're on this, vivian at quick tricks also offers a 58v ficm...not sure if it's via swamps, or if its their own deal. I actually just started a thread asking about peoples experiance with her ficm's.

And, to try to answer your question, I think I read on swamps site a while back, I couldn't find it now, or i'd post a link...but from what I gathered the higher voltage aids in cycling the spool valve open faster, and thus being able to introduce fuel for a longer period of time (same effect as heavier ramp angles on a camshaft with the same duration as a less agressive camshaft...opens faster, stays open longer). I could be totally wrong, and I think there's more to it, but that's what I can recall. I think the result was better throttle response. I'll be watching those too, eager to see if anyone tunes a 58v.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:18 PM
Premium Member

Heres a good link
48v vs 58v FICM

Which also amswers some of my questions from earlier post, apparently pgreensvt was a beta tester for the bpd 58v ficm. He then used his gryphon tuner to tune the ficm so indeed you can do both. Having never ridden in various setups to compare, i can only speculate based off what ive read. It sounds like the differences in voltage will only net you small gains in smoother driveability and idle, perhaps a mile or two per gallon...

Mitch, if you read this, correct me if im wrong. Btw how goes the beta testing? Was there as much difference with the ficm tuned vs stock as there was with your idp 48v? Or did any gains of the 58v kinda wash out or blur some of the tuning gains?

Last edited by Gearhead2012; 10-15-2012 at 08:01 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

From what ive read upgrading to 58v isnt worth it and it makes your FICM run even hotter then before. If you need 58v to get your injectors to work right then get your injectors repaired. I think they do a 52v or something less then 58v but more then 48v, I would look into that instead.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:37 AM
Premium Member

The bullet proof diesel ficm is selectable between 48, 53: and 58...however theirs is ground up totally re-engineered with redundancy in circuitry. If money was no object, I'd order up one of those, then slap the atlas 40 tune on it...then you're approaching 1k in a ficm...mines not bad, so that's a lot of money to dump into it.

Pgreensvt hasnt steered me wrong yet...he says you won't be dissappointed by running the 58v...and I always trust 'strangers' online! Lol...but I might try the upgraded swamps 58v with the PHP tune. Then again I might leave mine alone until it craps out...
Old 10-16-2012, 07:28 AM

I have a swamps 58v FICM and flashed it using the PHP Gryphon with the Atlas 40 tune. I havent noticed any real power gains but the truck is much smoother running. I personally find that some of the lag is gone as well. I should mention that other than the swamps ficm and the tune my truck is COMPLETELY stock, exhaust and all! LOL
Old 10-16-2012, 08:00 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
you can run a FICM tune on a 58v FICM and you can run it on a bone stock truck.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:55 AM
Premium Member

After reading lots of threads about this, I think I might actually go with vivians rebuilt/upgraded 58v ficm, athen order the gryphon ficm tuner, trying to find out how much that is now. I like the idea of selecting the different tunes, like running atlas 40 day in and out...but come dyno day, or track day being able to dial it up to herculese, and it gives you that much more tunability, as youre adjusting different parameters/more parameters than you can with just ecm tuning. Perhaps this would really let you dial in that exact perfect tune for your setup, especially those with bigger turbos to better use the new fuel
potential...just thinking.

As far as voltage, I haven't come across any threads where anyone has fried their injectors or anything, or for that matter burned up a ficm because of extra heat, maybe they're there but I haven't found such issues. I like that all reports have said 58v is definitely smoother, and i think it'd help the stiction issue in the cold too.

Edit, plus with her lifetime warranty its hard not to try 58v.

Last edited by Gearhead2012; 10-16-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Yeah guys I have a BPD FICM at 58v with the Hercules FICM tune on it. No worries about running the BPD FICM at 58v because all of the internals are built to handle it. The FICM has 2 components to it. It has the power board which supplies the power to the injectors and it has a separate logic board that has the programming. They are 2 different unrelated functions so tuning and power output are totally unrelated. Tune and set your power level as you desire.

As for running at 58v it really depends on who's FICM you choose to run. All it takes is a resistor to change the voltage from 48 to 58 volts. If all the person that repaired the FICM did was resolder the power board and add a resistor then I'd be skeptical about running 58v. The components in the oem board are nearly maxed out at normal output and IMO there isn't sufficient head room to step the output up without compromising the longevity of the board.

If the components on the power board are replaced with better components with more head room then I wouldn't worry about running 58v. Since the BPD FICM has a totally redesigned power board with properly sized components and failover redundancy, not to mention the size and quality of the heat sink, there is no reason to be concerned about 58v output. The others you need to find out what was done with the repair. In the case of Vivian's FICM or anyone else that will give you a lifetime warranty on a 58v FICM why not run one.

My stock tuned 58v BPD FICM felt better than my moderate tuned IDP 48v FICM. Engine started better, ran smoother, and throttle response felt better. It was a very subtle difference that many might not have noticed but it was definitely there.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:16 PM

I 'm running with Swamps 58v fimc.
about two years now with no issues.
The stock one was shot allready when i bought the truck..
Was not hard to decide what to do when i was sure that my stock fimc is goner..

Cause of ;
you can bought stock new one from one ford dealer in this country there is only this one thing..
It need to be ordered from u.s. with no returns(takes about a month), it cost about 1800 usd and no one in this country can programm it to your truck to get it work...

So couple of e mails and 58v version was on its way to here. Arrived in less than 2 weeks
And it was plug and play and did cost half of it including all shipping ,taxes and duties.

Sent from my GT-P5100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.