EGR delete info - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 04:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGR delete info

looking into deleting my egr and i have been looking at all the forums it seems like and im not finding the anwsers do i leave the valve in and pluged in or take it out completely will it effect my turbo or fan if i take it out or whats the deal with that even with it turned off whats the best to do with it? ive even heard to just leave it on the motor plugged it so it will oporate so whats the best to do and whats the best kit out there one with a plug for the exhaust or one tht replaces the pipe going nuts here thans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2012, 05:35 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
It depends on your year, as I understand it, the early years can be unplugged and not throw a code, and after about 2004.5 (someone correct me if I'm wrong)...it'll throw a code if unplugged. In my 05 it throws a code if unplugged, but when I deleted mine, I just took the valve out and left it resting next to the oil filter housing still plugged in. No codes or issues at all. Also, a custom tune can turn tell the computer not to look for the egr valve, and therefore not throw a code.

While we're on the subject, if your egr cooler went out, it's likely because your oil cooler is bad, or going bad (starting to clog up)...a rebuild or replacement is usually necessary, I flushed the crap out of mine still in the truck, lots of distilled water and "restore" and "restore plus"...there's write ups on how to flush it...anyway, then the use of an ELC coolant is recommended (I used Rotella Ultra ELC). It doesn't gum up the oil cooler the way the ford gold coolant does. Then I added a sinister coolant filter...it's relatively cheap, and my temp delta's have been great since, without changing the oil cooler. I may have gotten lucky...so I was told by several on here who reamed me for not changing the cooler while I was in there. Anyway, good luck. Hope it helps.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

well im not having any issues with y truck just want to prevent sothing from happening as best i could beacuse im getting a programer next spring/summer so just looin for the best way some say its a way to make some more hp but little bit of both would be good but whats the better way to do it by replacing the exhaust pipe or getting the one with just the plug and whats a good quality reliabe one lots out there what one do you have
Old 10-20-2012, 11:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed Rig View Post
well im not having any issues with y truck just want to prevent sothing from happening as best i could beacuse im getting a programer next spring/summer so just looin for the best way some say its a way to make some more hp but little bit of both would be good but whats the better way to do it by replacing the exhaust pipe or getting the one with just the plug and whats a good quality reliabe one lots out there what one do you have
if you dont have inspections, go with just an EGR delete and leave the EGR valve in. all it will do is cycle on and off, but wont do anything, obviously because the EGR cooler isnt there. with mine being an 04, i installed the XDP EGR delete and took the valve out completely, and installed the supplied blockoff plate. if you have an 03-04, it wont throw a code. if you get a programmer, you wont have to worry about it anyway.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yeah mines an 04 to. did you notice any kind of performance increase in it or not beacuse according to truck you it helps but not to sure how uch of that is true. yeha im in ny so we have inspections here but it helps to have a lisense to do them
Old 10-26-2012, 04:28 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
EGR valve disconnect issues
Old 10-26-2012, 07:47 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed Rig View Post
yeah mines an 04 to. did you notice any kind of performance increase in it or not beacuse according to truck you it helps but not to sure how uch of that is true. yeha im in ny so we have inspections here but it helps to have a lisense to do them
I noticed slightly cooler egt's...possibly slightly faster spool up, but mine is an 05, and it has "the dreaded scoop" in the up pipe to direct flow into the cooler. The thought is that by sending that much more air to the turbo, instead of into the egr cooler that it spools it faster. That's probably true, but it's not a light switch, on/off difference, it's subtle. I don't know if earlier years with out the scoop would notice anything.

Be sure to update your turbo drain tube and whatever else needs updating while you're in there. I'd also ad the blue spring while you're under the hood, it'll be easier without the cold side cac tube in place. I might have mentioned it already, or someone else might have, but I've slept 6 hours total over the last 2 days and can't remember...but add a coolant filter if you haven't. Clean coolant is imperitave if you're going to run a stock oil cooler. Even if everything is good now temp wise...I'd still ad one. Cheap insurance. There's a reason tractor trailers have coolant filters. Anything with a engine oil cooler needs a coolant filter in my opinion.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

honestly i didnt notice any difference except the exhaust sounded a little different, but thats because i replaced the up pipe also.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:48 AM
Premium Member

Depending on your stategy, the EGR valve is REQUIRED for proper VGT cycling. Considering how Ford butchered our ECUs when they "serviced" our trucks, I'm more concerned about VGT cycling than codes/lights.

sent from a dumb guy with a smart phone
Old 10-31-2012, 03:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

so from what im reading now i should leave the valve in ang pluged in, i already have my blue spring in, how much work is it to change the oil cooler as long as im in there, also does the intake need to come off ive seen in dp magazine that they didnt have to remove it, thanks all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.