full flow vs bypass coolant filter?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2012, 09:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
full flow vs bypass coolant filter??

Wondering if anyone has measured results from running a full flow vs bypass (like my Sinister one) in the coolant system? Anyone run both types of filters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2012, 09:36 AM
Premium Member

What stops a full filtration system from clogging the filter and causing catastrophic failure? A bypass sytem will not do t his if the filter is clogged by nature of its design.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:10 AM

A full flow will obviously filter more, but I don't like them. First, noone has answered the question about how much a clean, full flow filter restricts coolant flow. Second, its the same as a clogged oil cooler when it does clog. As Karl mentioned, a bypass filter will still allow coolant flow even when its fully clogged. Hence the reason its called a "bypass" filter.

Some people will swear that a full flow filter is the only way to go, but I just don't buy it.

Last edited by Snake; 10-14-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:12 AM

I'm wondering how long it takes for a bypass filter to completely clean out the system.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
A full flow will obviously filter more, but I don't like them. First, noone has answered the question about how much a clean, full flow filter restricts coolant flow. Second, its the same as a clogged oil cooler when it does clog. As Karl mentioned, a bypass filter will still allow coolant flow even when its fully clogged. Hence the reason its called a "bypass" filter.

Some people will swear that a full flow filter is the only way to go, but I just don't buy it.
I am going to assume we're talking about the IPR Full Flow coolant filter here. As I pointed out when this product was first announced the name is misleading because it is in fact still a bypass filter, it is just using a higher volume source than the others like Sinister, Diesel Site, et. al. It uses the heater circuit as a coolant source so it filters much more coolant per minute BUT the heater circuit is still a bypass circuit. If you stop the flow to the heater nothing bad will happen and your truck will not overheat. So in spite of the name it is still a bypass filter but much more effective than all the others.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:13 PM
Premium Member

I'm using my ipr filter to filter 100% of the coolant before it goes into the oil cooler, as long as you have a monitoring sorce it's fine......deltas go up, clean the filter it's that easy.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
I am going to assume we're talking about the IPR Full Flow coolant filter here. As I pointed out when this product was first announced the name is misleading because it is in fact still a bypass filter, it is just using a higher volume source than the others like Sinister, Diesel Site, et. al. It uses the heater circuit as a coolant source so it filters much more coolant per minute BUT the heater circuit is still a bypass circuit. If you stop the flow to the heater nothing bad will happen and your truck will not overheat. So in spite of the name it is still a bypass filter but much more effective than all the others.
Interesting, and really appreciate the clarification Mitch. For some reason I thought the filter was in a location that cleaned 100% of the coolant, or there was some type of change in the coolant routing that sent 100% of the coolant through the IPR filter.

I'm not sure what to think about the IPR kit.....in one regard, this diminishes the value in my opinion. If there's unfiltered coolant going through the oil cooler, its obviously much more likely to clog again at some point in the future. Obviously not as quickly as a motor without a coolant filter (or a bypass filter that cleans less coolant), but the risk is there. On the other hand, a clogged coolant filter won't completely block the flow of coolant, which is a plus.

I dunno. There's an advantage with the kit for sure, but I still don't believe it's a 100% solution.

Last edited by Snake; 10-15-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:17 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Mike the only 100% solution to clogged oil coolers is the BPD kit and even then some will argue that it isn't capable of handling the cooling duties on 100% of the uses these trucks see, so I'm with you. I dunno.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
Interesting, and really appreciate the clarification Mitch. For some reason I thought the filter was in a location that cleaned 100% of the coolant, or there was some type of change in the coolant routing that sent 100% of the coolant through the IPR filter.

I'm not sure what to think about the IPR kit.....in one regard, this diminishes the value in my opinion. If there's unfiltered coolant going through the oil cooler, its obviously much more likely to clog again at some point in the future. Obviously not as quickly as a motor without a coolant filter (or a bypass filter than cleans less coolant), but the risk is there. On the other hand, a clogged coolant filter won't completely block the flow of coolant, which is a plus.

I dunno. There's an advantage with the kit for sure, but I still don't believe it's a 100% solution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by windrunner408 View Post
Mike the only 100% solution to clogged oil coolers is the BPD kit and even then some will argue that it isn't capable of handling the cooling duties on 100% of the uses these trucks see, so I'm with you. I dunno.
Mike and Nate, if you run the IPR coolant filter in conjunction with their remote mount setup for the oil cooler you have a very effective solution to the oil cooler clogging. The filter goes in line with the coolant in port on the oil cooler so 100% of the coolant going into the oil cooler is being filtered immediately before entering the cooler. That "should" prevent the oil cooler from ever becoming clogged again. It doesn't protect against a possible internal failure within the oil cooler and cross contamination of the cooling and oil systems though. IMO it is a valid solution to the oil cooler clogging issue in that configuration and a well done product.

Even using the coolant filter by itself without the remote oil cooler mount it is the most effective coolant filter currently on the market and still well worth it from that point of view as well.

Last edited by PGreenSVT; 10-15-2012 at 09:44 AM.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Quote:
The filter goes in line with the coolant in port on the oil cooler so 100% of the coolant going into the oil cooler is being filtered immediately before entering the cooler.
Mitch, you win! I'm officially confused. Is their filter a bypass or does it filter 100% of the coolant?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.