Fuel system, is one pump enough? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2012, 06:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel system, is one pump enough?

I am installing my fuel system shortly, probably within the next few weeks.
I have all the parts, from the sump, lines, fittings, pump, filters, etc.

Opinions, do I need a second pump in the system?
This is my pump- Holley Performance Products HP™ In-line Fuel Pump; Up to 700 Horsepower EFI; Up to 900 Horsepower Carb*12-700

I see a lot of guys running an AD into other pumps. Not sure of the need for a second pump if you are running a sump?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2012, 06:53 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I run an AD2 from a sump to a Y-block then to the heads with a regulated return off the back if the heads. So I'm not using any of the OEM fuel supply.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:17 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
You can probably run this pump without a second pump but I wouldn't. The reason I wouldn't go with out a second pump with this pump (and I dont with my pump) is because these pumps are supposed to be mounted even with or lower than the bottom of the fuel tank (and that is not really feasible with our trucks) to ensure that sufficient Net Positive Suction Head (NPSH) is provided to keep the pump from cavitating and failing prematurely.

Now there are plenty of guys who just run a sump feeding a pump like this have no problems at all but my recommendation is to run two pumps.

I run a sump to an AD150 to an A1000 to a Y-block to the heads with a RR kit coming off the back of the heads and sending the fuel back to the tank.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:43 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Weren't you running a 6.4 pump ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrunner408 View Post
You can probably run this pump without a second pump but I wouldn't. The reason I wouldn't go with out a second pump with this pump (and I dont with my pump) is because these pumps are supposed to be mounted even with or lower than the bottom of the fuel tank (and that is not really feasible with our trucks) to ensure that sufficient Net Positive Suction Head (NPSH) is provided to keep the pump from cavitating and failing prematurely.

Now there are plenty of guys who just run a sump feeding a pump like this have no problems at all but my recommendation is to run two pumps.

I run a sump to an AD150 to an A1000 to a Y-block to the heads with a RR kit coming off the back of the heads and sending the fuel back to the tank.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:18 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
No, you must be thinking of someone else. I have only ran these two pumps aside from the stocker and my AD150 kit was for a 6.0 powerstroke.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I gues nobody bothered to look at the specs on this pump. It is only capable of 52 gph at 50 psi. 47 gph at 60 psi. This pump is not a suitable pump for our trucks in my opinion.

The A1000 flows around 95 gph and the Fuelab 41402 I am installing flows 140 gph.

I would rethink what pump you want to use on your truck but I wouldn't use the one you posted above.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:30 AM

you can run one pump, but that depends on the spec's of the pump and what it's designed to do. If it's a high pressure pump with over 90gph...then one pump is good(depending on your HP application). I have a tank sump, low pressure FASS pump system feeding my fuelab pump. Originally i ran my low pressure FASS with factory pickup tube feeding the factory pump with no issues running 190/75 injectors.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:58 AM
Premium Member

Next week we're going to start putting in an AD2 into a guys 6.0 truck. Since he's read all about the good and bad experiences on the AD2 he wants us to fab it up so he can easily switch back to the stock pump if the AD2 gives him problems as he doesn't want a system without the air removal capabilities and doesn't want to run a pump supplying another pump unless he's absolutely forced to do it. Should be interesting as we're hoping to be able to do the switching from inside the cab and still keep the cost out of the stratosphere.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:03 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Term3 View Post
Next week we're going to start putting in an AD2 into a guys 6.0 truck. Since he's read all about the good and bad experiences on the AD2 he wants us to fab it up so he can easily switch back to the stock pump if the AD2 gives him problems as he doesn't want a system without the air removal capabilities and doesn't want to run a pump supplying another pump unless he's absolutely forced to do it. Should be interesting as we're hoping to be able to do the switching from inside the cab and still keep the cost out of the stratosphere.
Keep us posted, bro. You know we are all interested in something like that. At the very least let us limp it back on the stock pump.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:07 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Eye View Post
Keep us posted, bro. You know we are all interested in something like that. At the very least let us limp it back on the stock pump.
Will do. The guy has seen "my" AD2 setup on a few of our groups trucks running an AD2 ONLY but the posts on the forums has him wanting a "limp home" system. LOL chicken chit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.