Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

EGT Probe clamp vs threaded install

3K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Marty 
#1 ·
I wondering if the clamp installation of a probe is as good as the tapped one. I'd like to do the tapped one but I'm a little sketchy about tapping things, especially when I only have one chance.

This is what I'm talking about in case anyone doesn't know.
3-Gauge Install Pictures

#2 ·
Tapping is easy! But if you went with the clamp style that works also.

#3 ·
That picture on the link shows the install well after the turbo in the down pipe. I would think you would want it before the turbo for a more accurate reading.

#4 ·
there are separate reasons for doing it preturbo as opposed to post turbo. but for sake of monitoring egt's for engine damage reasons, you want it preturbo !! and this is better with a tapped setup.

the clamp setup is good for post turbo readings, which are mainly for monitoring egt's for sake of idle down time before shutting off.

#5 ·
Actually thats on the uppipe pre-turbo in the pic:thumb:

#6 ·
Actully your right with that pic, but you can use the uppipe instead of the dp.

#8 ·
My post wasn't directed at you guys pointing out that you guys were wrong because your not I was just adding my two cents that you can also clamp it to the uppipe:)

#15 ·
do the clamp on style ones hold up to the amount of increased pressure you would see preturbo ??

i thought the main reason you could get away with clamp on post turbo was that the exhaust backpressure is low post turbo and preturbo you have higher drive pressure ?? i could be dead wrong on this though

#10 ·
I haven't yet. I have done mine and my dad's 06. Plenty of space as your drilling into the back of the manifold where it turns to go to the uppipe:thumb:

#12 ·
No you shouldn't have a problem. When you crawl underneath you will see that you have clearance at the bottom of the uppipe:thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.