"Sneeky Pipe" - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2007, 07:25 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
"Sneeky Pipe"

Ok I understand that egr valve helps controll the emmissions. And you can order the sneaky pipe to delete the valve. And sometime it sets off an alarm in your truck the the Xcal 2 can fix. But what pipe does it replace? Does this pipe run between exhaust manifold to turbo or what? and can you do this swap while the motor is in without having to tear the whole top part off? But i dont understand the egr cooler at all, whats it purpose and should i be worried about doing a mod to bypass that or would the Xcal 2 automaticly bypass that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2007, 07:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I dont know but heres a bump
Old 10-19-2007, 08:16 PM

I just asked this question a couple days ago, and a tech chimed in on the thread and told me it wouldn't set the check engine light but it could store an EGR low flow code.

As I understand it, the EGR cooler function is to cool the exhaust gas with engine coolant to a point where it won't cause the EGR components downstream to self destruct. As I'm sure you know, the exhaust temps can easily top 1400 degrees.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:20 PM
Banned

here goes:
the egr runs some of the exhaust back through the intake for smog reasons.
the passenger side up pipe has a "T" spliced into that feeds exhaust off before it ever reaches the turbo.

it goes thru the egr cooler. which is like a little tiny intercooler sitting on top of the motor on the passenger side of the valley under the turbo and intake setup.
it is liquid cooled with engine coolant so it's not as hot when it goes thru that egr valve and back into the intake.

i dont know what year your truck is, but 03-04 will not set off a CEL when you unplug the egr valve. the 05-up will .

the sct will program the ecm to not even use the egr function at all and disables it thru the programming.

the sneaky pipe is a new passenger side up pipe that runs exhaust from passenger side ex manifold straight into the turbo without the "T" that allows some to bleed off .
then you just block off the egr cooler so no boost bleeds out of it.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:37 PM
Banned

you have absolutely NO boost loss because of the EGR system. Anyone who wants proof of that just come see me. The EGR system operating properly will not affect power (to the average joe), boost, or anything else. The main problem with the 6.0 EGR system is EGR cooler failures. The exhaust gas, expecually in tuned trucks or trucks that tow hard a lot even with stock programming, can actually melt the solder that seals the coolant from the exhasut gas...thus causing a massive coolant leak into the Y pipe... by preventing the EGR from flowing through the cooler, you prevent cooler failures...

if you install a sneeky pipe in a 04.5 or newer truck you will probably get a check engine light (p0401) any time you run a stock tune....if you run it with a custom tune that eliminates the EGR from functioning anyway...you will have no issues and be better off in the long run....

as far as the CEL goes....i had one today on a custom tune throw a code for egr flow.....didnt do it on the high performance or tow tune...it did do it on the street tune. Tuner just suspects the file got corrupted in the email, and ive delt with this tuner before and i have no doubt they know what they are talking about...but the fact remails that on that 06 truck...it did turn the CEL on and set a P0401 with the sneeky pipe in (with an incorrect tune)...
Old 10-19-2007, 08:47 PM

So I guess if I want to block my EGR off I'll have to reinstall the factory up pipe every time I take it in for service. Why does everything have to be difficult? LOL
Old 10-19-2007, 08:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech10002 View Post
So I guess if I want to block my EGR off I'll have to reinstall the factory up pipe every time I take it in for service. Why does everything have to be difficult? LOL
all depends on the dealer......and what kind of service...

the sneaky pipe i was referring to...i installed.....at the dealer (along with headstuds....a 4" strait pipe, and an SCT) some dealers are a bit more mod friendly...
Old 10-19-2007, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
all depends on the dealer......and what kind of service...

the sneaky pipe i was referring to...i installed.....at the dealer (along with headstuds....a 4" strait pipe, and an SCT) some dealers are a bit more mod friendly...
I'm not sure how my dealer is, but I have a feeling they'd try to void the warranty for using Diesel Kleen instead of the ford additive. The service manager is a real jackass.

I wish I knew some mod friendly dealers to go to. Your dealer is a little far for me, though--about 3000 miles. LOL
Old 10-19-2007, 08:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech10002 View Post
I'm not sure how my dealer is, but I have a feeling they'd try to void the warranty for using Diesel Kleen instead of the ford additive. The service manager is a real jackass.

I wish I knew some mod friendly dealers to go to. Your dealer is a little far for me, though--about 3000 miles. LOL
there are others out there...just talk with some people in your area....im sure there is a mod friendly dealer around...
Old 10-20-2007, 03:57 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
One thing to consider is the loss of exhaust veloicity due to the EGR. Since exhaust flow is redirected to the EGR the turbo will have slower spool time. I have done this mod myself and noticed the results quite easily. I find the turbo spools quicker and has a quicker response when driving to pedal inputs.

The install can be done in the drieway, it is a pain, and takes some time to complete. With all the right tools it can be done in under 2 hours, with air tools maybe less than an hour.

There are several reasons that people will perform the mod. To prevent puking; this is prevented since the hot exhaust gases can cause the coolant to flash boil causing pressure to build in the wrong places. To help turbo spooling; the pipe feeds exhaust to the turbo, if there is a diversion of flow you loose velocity that can be used to spool the turbo. On my '06 there is an actual scoop inside the pipe to insure flow goes to the EGR. With this removed and the hole plugged my turbo response is much better on take off and when driving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.