Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Everyone says to get gauges if you get a programmer, why?

4K views 44 replies 20 participants last post by  barry1me 
#1 · (Edited)
I guess I don't see the point of gauges. Is it so that you can see if you are pushing the engine too hard? If that's the case I don't want a programmer that puts my engine on the ragged edge. I would like more power and better economy sure but not at the cost of engine life.

Do these programmers setup the engine to run so high strung that if you run the truck too hard you can damage things? Sure it would be fun to get the hole shot at a light every now and then but that would be about it for me. So I don't see a need for gauges in my situation........Does this make sense?

#4 ·
I guess I don't see the point of gauges. Is it so that you can see if you are pushing the engine too hard? If that's the case I don't want a programmer that puts my engine on the ragged edge. I would like more power and better economy sure but not at the cost of engine life.
The reasons for the gauges is to prevent engine damage. Even with out the programmers and tuners, and chips it is possible to cause damage to your truck when you are pushing it to far. The gauges allow you to monitor things like Exhaust Gas Temp, Boost Pressure, Trans Fluid Tempature, things that are not easily or accurately monitored with the gauges from the factory. It has already been proven that the Trans Temp Gauge from the factory is not very accurate.

If you are doing heavy hauling or towing with your truck I suggest gauges. Yes most likely you are not going to reach the limits of the turbo with boost pressure but, or the high temps of the Exhaust Gas Temps with out a programmer or tuner or chip. But also gauges will tell you when something is not running right. Like if you are getting a low boost reading, you may want to inspect your turbo, intercooler, cac tube boots for a leak which would cause a low boost reading.

I hope I have helped you out with your question.

#5 ·
I hear where you guys are coming from but don't push my truck. I do tow a 5,000 travel trailer but that shouldn't make it even break a sweat.
I was leaning towards the Hypertech Max energy because I read that it doesn't run the engine on the edge but still improves everything across the board.

#7 ·
I hear where you guys are coming from but don't push my truck. I do tow a 5,000 travel trailer but that shouldn't make it even break a sweat.
I was leaning towards the Hypertech Max energy because I read that it doesn't run the engine on the edge but still improves everything across the board.
Even with the Hypertech Max energy I would run gauges.

#6 ·
I agree with big country and raul. Before I had a trans temp gauge I would never have believed how innacurate that the stock trans temp gauge can be. Since installing the trans temp gauge I have seen my trans temps climb to 220 when hauling up a steep grade. THe stock trans temp never went above half way up which is where it normally sits. The aftermarket trans temp gauge allowed me to notice that the temps were getting high and I was able to back out of the throttle to cool it down. If I would have had gauges before my stock trans crapped out I probably would have known it was about to go out. But I did not and got stranded on the side of the road. In fact had I caught it soon enough the repair would have only been a torque converter replacement. But because I had no gauges I ended up a few thousand more for a trans rebuild. Oh and that was on no chip or anything. Just driving to work and pow...trans gone.

#8 ·
If you are towing you need gauges. Period. Your stock gauges are way off. It will give you peace of mind while towing that you are within the parameters you should be. You might not think that towing 5000 lbs is making your motor sweat but I can gaurantee you will be shocked at the difference that the aftermarket gauge will show for your trans temp while towing. Heck I see a huge difference when I am not towing and just going up steep grades I can hit 200 degrees in about 4 miles uphill at 75 mph. Get gauges. you won't be sorry that you did.

#9 ·
Are gauges difficult to install?

#13 ·
trans temp guage

who makes the best guages, and if I have no trans temp guage now where do I cut in the new one on the tranny? I have a STOCK 95 7.3L CC SRW with a shallow pan E40D trans, I was considering buying a deep pan to give me the clearance to cut in the sensor...recommendations?

I have been reading tons of threads on this, but just wondering what y'all think today on who makes the best guages and where to put the tranny sensor if I don't currently have one in there.

#16 ·
Gauges are easy to install and hopefully one day I'll get a video writeup on how to do it for ya'll!

I've installed more then 10 sets now and they're a breeze. Take your time the first time and do it right!

#17 ·
Looks like you are covered, but I will add my two cents and say that knowing what I know from owning my truck for a year I would add gauges to a totally stock truck if I was towing. I just installed a quad commander on my dads 06 that is totally stock and couldn't believe how hot the egt's get on his truck without it being tuned up. His egts are alot hotter stock then mine tuned up but I do have supporting mods to keep the egt's in check.

#18 ·
I think this kinda shows that a little higher egts are okay. Some people get so afraid of them, I know th 1250 number is where I get nervous, but I ran my truck stock for a while and was also suprised at the egts I got towing and not. If I dont get higher tuned pulling than when stock I dont worry. Thats how ford designed it, so I have to believe that itll be ok.

#19 ·

Do these programmers setup the engine to run so high strung that if you run the truck too hard you can damage things? Sure it would be fun to get the hole shot at a light every now and then but that would be about it for me. So I don't see a need for gauges in my situation........Does this make sense?
to me, it does. It's just nice to know what your truck is doing and how hot it runs and what boost numbers it puts out. If you're trying to get a new quarter mile time every week and you're running any tuner/programmer then yeah you are definitely gonna need gauges. I don't have any....yet. I haven't had any for months. The way I look at it, your truck is gonna do whatever it's gonna do whether you have gauges or not. the only thing that is gonna determine how "high strung" or hot it gets is your right foot. Gauges just let you see your truck melting. lol

#20 ·
That's along the lines of what I was thinking darsey..............

#22 ·
Why are you so against guages? I dont have them in my PSD yet but i do have them in my F-150 Lightning..... infact i need more. Guages let you see whats happening and allow you to adjust your driving at that point in time or pull over and avoid a retarded repair bill

#23 ·
I'm not against them. Just wondering what everyone's take is. I am leaning towards not getting them due to the fact that I don't hot rod nor do I tow in the mountains. I live in the flat midwest.

#29 ·
sounds like it could be a fun trip to get some milk.:D

#30 ·
seriously they will shoot past 1000 easy at half throttle just trying to get up to speed from a green light. keep in mind this is a pretty hot tune, but i'm just saying that even with daily driving if you are going to mod it, gauges are definitely going to be necessary.

#33 ·
Gauges gauges gauges!!!

Not only do you know what is going on (expecially with a tune) they just plain look cool. LOL.

Seriously, even my post-turbo EGT helped me diagnose a clogged air filter. (forgot to clean it) AND a clogged fuel filter (again...I forgot.) I was also able to see what is going on with each tune and each upgrade. Turbo upgrades lowered my EGTs AND my boost...but it runs better. Eventually, I want what (DockBoy I think it is) has....13+ guages monitoring EVERYTHING!!! You can never have too much information.

#36 ·
Eventually, I want what (DockBoy I think it is) has....13+ guages monitoring EVERYTHING!!! You can never have too much information.
That should be a ton of fun in the 1/4 mile Ditty! Trying to deal with 13 gauges and 6 speeds is going to require Jesse to stay sober and ride co-pilot like the rally racer guys!

If you don't get a co-pilot, you're gonna need bigger curb feelers to keep you off the wall!:roll1:

#34 ·
I say don't get guages because they won't hurt your truck because its going to do whatever its going to do...

.... just don't come saying you melted anything or can't figure out whats going on when your truck breaks. 99% of the .org will recommend guages -- its up to you to do whatever you want.

#39 ·
I have been running the Edge Evolution on Extreme setting since I got it three years ago. 250,000 miles stock charger and injectors. I pull a 20,000lb job trailer all over the US. I run the **** out of mine and seldom see over 1150 F I recently added the Steriod T from DFuser and no real change in EGT but way more go!

I previously had a 2000 running a Hypertec, this one had 4'' free flow and AFE stage II, 1400+ common. I am free flowing on the 2001 but with factory down pipe. I had the Pyro located exactly the same on both.

So I would recommed the guages.

#41 ·
it not that a programmer or downloader is pushing ur truck to the extreme its just addin additinal horse that the motor was not desigined with the guages are a piece of mind knowing what the enginge vitals are to see if somethins goin wrong no differnt than stock guages if u run like a 50 60 horse chip you dont neccisarly need guages just keep it in the back of ur mind that you could be gettin high egts on my 00 with 75 hp edge intake and 4 in i can get high egts from pullin hard on hiils or even holding out like 6th so its just a precaution to have guages

#42 ·
(Holy run-on sentence Batman!!!)
:poke

#44 ·
that sounds about right. stock tuning will usually not go over 1100 degrees no matter what. what were your egt's before you put the bigger turbo in , where they hotter i'm sure ??

i'm getting ready to take out my pyro and find a 2000 degree one, because my 1500 degree one gets pegged most of the time the truck leaves the driveway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.