Expectations of Live Tuning? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2012, 01:11 PM
The Silent Service

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Expectations of Live Tuning?

Posing a new question I think seldom gets asked around here. What are the tangible gains of having a truck live tuned?

I agree that for a build level of only electronic programming, and an exhaust, its unnecessary, but what level of modification does this option start making sense?

Those members who have been lived tuned, if you wouldn't mind listing your basic mods - injector/turbo combo, and approximations of power before and after live-tuning I'd appreciate it.

Second topic of this discussion, is it possible to simulate towing conditions during a live-tuning session, and having a tow file written?

Looking to the ORG to share your experiences and expectations on the subject. Not intending to turn this into a 'who's the better tuner', but knowing the tuner and the file would help out as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2012, 02:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

I know live tuning would have expedited the testing of the MTW turbo's, but for anyone doing just your normal tune, intake and exhaust it would be a waste of money. Once you start getting into relatively uncharted territory though, like a new turbo ( MTW, RCD, Non-VGT) it can be an asset. While adding injectors and a turbo seem like a minor addition, with all the new options that havn't really been in the hands of tuners yet, live tuning would be great. Anything above say 205's would probably benefit as well as compounds. JMO
Old 08-12-2012, 02:34 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via ICQ to Duncan's KR Send a message via Yahoo to Duncan's KR
for the sake of this thread maybe someone would like to explain want is involved in "Live tuning" for those who do not know what it is.... JAT
Old 08-12-2012, 02:43 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by colo_dually View Post
...Second topic of this discussion, is it possible to simulate towing conditions during a live-tuning session, and having a tow file written?...
I believe this is possible or is at least theoretically possible anyways. I know tuners with a loaded dyno can simulate almost whatever load they want provided that the load can go that high. I'm sure Matt knows how Bill operates his dyno and he adjusts the load on the dyno to account for the weight of the truck so I would presume he could just keep jacking it up to the "weight" of a trailer.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
First off, for considering live tuning, you need to know everything about the tuner him/herself. You don't want some joe blow tuning your vehicle.

Now, it is basically the same thing as the tunes you get through email. Except, you can have the truck dialed into what you exactly want(within the capacities of your mechanical parts of course.)

It's mainly recommended for folks who have wild or very large capacity combinations(ie, large turbo, compounds, big injectors, etc..) The basic 155/stage 1-2, or pmax would benefit some from this but nothing like what the big sticks(190's plus) and chargers(non vgt's, stage 2's and up) can do. And you get the tranny dialed in exactly as well, that is a nightmare of parameters from what I have seen on the 5r110.

Compare that to custom tunes from canned tunes. The tuners do an excellent job for what they do, but they cannot possibly know the details of every truck and subsequent quirks that every truck has.

Hte best I can tell you is have all the hard parts on the trucks before you get it tuned, then you can really see what the truck will do vs tuning it and then getting some result.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:28 PM
The Silent Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWilbur516 View Post
I know live tuning would have expedited the testing of the MTW turbo's, but for anyone doing just your normal tune, intake and exhaust it would be a waste of money. Once you start getting into relatively uncharted territory though, like a new turbo ( MTW, RCD, Non-VGT) it can be an asset. While adding injectors and a turbo seem like a minor addition, with all the new options that havn't really been in the hands of tuners yet, live tuning would be great. Anything above say 205's would probably benefit as well as compounds. JMO
This was along the lines I'm thinking, useless for the electronics only builds, could have accelerated the tuning of the MTW's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan's KR View Post
for the sake of this thread maybe someone would like to explain want is involved in "Live tuning" for those who do not know what it is.... JAT
kdogg85, explains it pretty well. Basically, the tuner with a dyno and your truck, fine tuning everything in a particular file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrunner408 View Post
I believe this is possible or is at least theoretically possible anyways. I know tuners with a loaded dyno can simulate almost whatever load they want provided that the load can go that high. I'm sure Matt knows how Bill operates his dyno and he adjusts the load on the dyno to account for the weight of the truck so I would presume he could just keep jacking it up to the "weight" of a trailer.
I am interested in seeing if this can be done, and if anyone has had a tow file written this way. If I could get a tune dialed in for 26K gross, it would go along way for my build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg85 View Post
First off, for considering live tuning, you need to know everything about the tuner him/herself. You don't want some joe blow tuning your vehicle.

Now, it is basically the same thing as the tunes you get through email. Except, you can have the truck dialed into what you exactly want(within the capacities of your mechanical parts of course.)

It's mainly recommended for folks who have wild or very large capacity combinations(ie, large turbo, compounds, big injectors, etc..) The basic 155/stage 1-2, or pmax would benefit some from this but nothing like what the big sticks(190's plus) and chargers(non vgt's, stage 2's and up) can do. And you get the tranny dialed in exactly as well, that is a nightmare of parameters from what I have seen on the 5r110.

Compare that to custom tunes from canned tunes. The tuners do an excellent job for what they do, but they cannot possibly know the details of every truck and subsequent quirks that every truck has.

Hte best I can tell you is have all the hard parts on the trucks before you get it tuned, then you can really see what the truck will do vs tuning it and then getting some result.
Thanks for your input. I intend to get all the hardware installed before moving toward getting my truck live tuned.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:03 PM
PROUD AMERICAN!!!

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
You can also have your truck lived tuned while driving with an actual load. I know Bill from PHP has been out here to CO the last couple years and you can bring your loaded trailer, he'll ride with you and tune it. A great option, especially if you tow in high elevations.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Lowdown89 Send a message via Yahoo to Lowdown89
On 7.3s and the few 6.0s I have been around sometimes it might not really be getting more power but more usable power and better driveability suited to how you drive the truck. Like with my old Setup while very mild, bill got the truck driving super nice after we rode around for a bit. And he has/is doing a lot to make it drive really nice with the new injectors. And like someone else mentioned I'm not sure about all dyno's but on bills he can simulate up to a certain weight by loading the Dyno I know since my trailer is at his shop I'm just going to see about loading up my car on the trailer and pull it around some while he plays with it to get my tow tune where I want
Old 08-12-2012, 05:13 PM
The Silent Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake18 View Post
You can also have your truck lived tuned while driving with an actual load. I know Bill from PHP has been out here to CO the last couple years and you can bring your loaded trailer, he'll ride with you and tune it. A great option, especially if you tow in high elevations.
That's of course the other option. Not sure the cost of that, or where I would find a load heavy enough.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:32 PM
PROUD AMERICAN!!!

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by colo_dually View Post
That's of course the other option. Not sure the cost of that, or where I would find a load heavy enough.
I am not sure of the actual cost, but I know it wasn't ridiculous. You can always do like Nicholas did and get a hold of a big inclosed and find all the heavy stuff you can and load it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.