i dont wanna roll coal - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2012, 05:37 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i dont wanna roll coal

So as the title says im going to tune my truck later this month but i don't want to be rolling coal like a cummins jack@$$. i haven't been able to find a thread about what tunes smoke the least. Im more than likely going with the X3 with unlimited tunes from Vivian. so my question to the guys running Vivians looney tune is how much "coal" am i going to be rolling? and which "performance" tune is the cleanest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2012, 05:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

from my experience, a vxcf9 tune runs cleaner than a vxcf4 tune. with my FICM tuned (ID Moderate) and running a vxcf9nz ID Aggressive street tune the only time I get that to smoke is if I'm at a dead stop and just smash the skinny peddle but it clears up real quick. crusing say 55-60 and if I smash it I only get a small amount that clears up real quick. Now with a vxcf4ng aggressive street tune any time I roll into the throttle say through a curve and roll back into it then it's roll coal time. over all on the dyno if your FICM is tunes there not much power difference if at according to Eric@ ID.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:06 PM
Premium Member

I am running vivians looney wild. Only smokes when you make it. vivian claims this is her most eficient tune if you drive it right. On the interstate if you give it too much pedal with the tc locked it will belche badly. You will learn what causes the smoke and is easy to correct. It is nice having power to spare when you need it. My tow tune she recomended the vxcf9 flash.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondajb View Post
On the interstate if you give it too much pedal with the tc locked it will belche badly.
This is what I found with my vxcf4 or non inferred releases do that the vxcf9 inferred don't seem to do it or when they do it's not as bad. And for my setup (which won't be the same for everyone) the vxcf9's seem to have better cleaner throttle response.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:24 PM
Premium Member

I notice the same when I flashed. Even in stock form it was more resposive....less lag. Much smoother tuned expecially with looney wild.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:01 PM

My innovative street tune is pretty good. I have a 6 speed and it only smokes a ton of I'm lugging the engine and smash it.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 08-12-2012, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdoug View Post
So as the title says im going to tune my truck later this month but i don't want to be rolling coal like a cummins jack@$$. i haven't been able to find a thread about what tunes smoke the least. Im more than likely going with the X3 with unlimited tunes from Vivian. so my question to the guys running Vivians looney tune is how much "coal" am i going to be rolling? and which "performance" tune is the cleanest?
I'm running non studded MPD right now and I can barley get it to smoke no matter how hard I punch it. Vivians tunes are awesome and my favorite still but they will roal coal
Old 08-12-2012, 03:21 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Try Gearhead automotive performance. Matt's SRL tune has good power without the light switch effect and is the least smoking tune that I have found.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.com App
Old 08-12-2012, 03:08 PM

thanks guys i appreciate the info. I'm still leaning towards vivians looney, but if i find it too obnoxious i will be trying the gearheads tune, and as lots of people seem to say some tunes work better on different trucks, I'm just hoping to find a clean running tune that both my truck and I like.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:20 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The looney does not smoke to bad on my truck. The looney wild, on the other hand, will blow some smoke.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.