Braking options for my 6.0L - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2012, 10:07 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Braking options for my 6.0L

Hey guys, so because this is the 6L performance section i figured id post this here. If this belongs in the general braking thread, lemme know.

Basically as stated in some of my other few threads, Im new to diesel trucks. I bought the truck to mainly tow my R32 to track events and such along with anything i might need it for. Plus ive found trying to move (which i do often) sucks in a little VW.

Pic of R32 for reference.

Although a 3400 lb car plus the weight of the trailer aint nothin to pull, ive found trying to stop on a dime isnt what it is when ur towing. I live in Frederick, MD and frequent in Baltimore or DC traffic. I want to be confident i can stop as quickly as possible if i have to for whatever reason, towing or not.

Comparing the 6L to my R32 prformance wise isnt even close.. so ill try not to haha but im going to. The R32 Calipers are large and all the car needs to stop in normal driving ( non track days ) is rotors, pads and uprated fluid.

This leads me to ask what is available as far as Big Brake Kits/ Larger Calipers and acessories. I am curious if our calipers are good enough and all i would need is a good pad and rotor combo w/ fluid or if a 6 piston caliper and larger rotor would benefit me more?

Also while on XDP.com the other day, I saw exhaust brake options as well. I am not familiar with EXH Brakes whatsoever. However, from what I know of with the Army Trucks i have driven, exhaust brakes dont exactly stop u that quickly.

I found a thread for a Wilwood BBK BIG BRAKE kits now available!! and this looks like a nice kit but was also curious if anyone made brackets to fit Brembo or Stoptech 6Piston calipers?

Thanks for any input and let me know if this is the wrong forum.

-Ellery
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2012, 01:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

First things first.

Have you flushed your brakes and hydroboost/power steering ?
This makes a big difference.

Next, I replaced my rotors and pads last fall with ones from ART.
They are cyro slotted rotors and they made a nice improvement.
Applied Rotor Technology

Now this is all on a 12,000 work truck that tows a 10,000 dump trailer so I would think it would improve your braking also.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:00 AM

Pretty good article on it....

Super Duty Slotted Disk Brake Upgrade - Part I .: Articles

D
Old 08-11-2012, 08:42 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for the info. To answer the first question, no i havent flushed my system yet and I never would of thought to do powersteering fluid for braking system. Im currently in Afghanistan and wont be returning to the states for an additional 6 months. I am just trying to gain knowledge and see what others have done.

Thanks for the links
Old 08-11-2012, 09:34 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
SSBC has eight piston calipers for stock rims. Not as good as Cary's idea but I don't have the cash to switch all eight of my rims (have a set of winter rims).

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app
Old 08-11-2012, 10:28 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boudah View Post
Thanks for the info. To answer the first question, no i havent flushed my system yet and I never would of thought to do powersteering fluid for braking system. Im currently in Afghanistan and wont be returning to the states for an additional 6 months. I am just trying to gain knowledge and see what others have done.

Thanks for the links
Our trucks use transmission fluid in the power steering and brake booster. Do not put power steering fluid in there.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.com App
Old 08-11-2012, 09:19 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaslord84 View Post
Our trucks use transmission fluid in the power steering and brake booster. Do not put power steering fluid in there.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.com App
Well i do apprciate the heads up, would never have considered that. Im sure i would have came across this eventually, but it might be my luck id dump PS fluid in there.. Ill have to get a book on the truck then, which is something i have yet to do.

Can anyone attest to the quality of SSBC braking systems? Deff looks like a cheaper caliper design, but looks can be deceiving. Im still doing some research on those. i have read good reviews drom some members but nothing on the caliper design/construction directly.

Again, im newer to trucks since ive been out of the scene for a few years (used to have a 2002 5.4L ECSB.

I got intouch with Carey at CT performance and the Price tag was a little higher than i was expecting. Even for a 8 piston brembo setup/ stoptech for my car is still cheaper for just a front setup. ( again im not trying to compare, but when u own a european limited production car, parts are crzy prices. )

Thanks for the info guys, I really do appreciate it.

-Ellery
Old 08-12-2012, 02:14 AM

Quote:

I got intouch with Carey at CT performance and the Price tag was a little higher than i was expecting. Even for a 8 piston brembo setup/ stoptech for my car is still cheaper for just a front setup. ( again im not trying to compare, but when u own a european limited production car, parts are crzy prices. )

-Ellery
Welcome to the world of diesel trucks lol. Stay away from exhuast brakes!
Old 08-12-2012, 03:35 AM
Premium Member

yeah i figured enough. if its not my car, its something else, lol Atleast i have no money for Crack now that i have 2 expensive hobbies.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:03 AM

Quote:
yeah i figured enough. if its not my car, its something else, lol Atleast i have no money for Crack now that i have 2 expensive hobbies.
Ya I got a boosted lq9 in my f-body $$$$
A 6.0 $$$$
Guns $$$$

Now I'm gunna try and build a prerunner... $$$$

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.