05-07 poll: what strat do you run with your Pmax and your experience - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: what Strategy do you use with your Powermax turbo
VXCF4 7 70.00%
VXCF5 0 0%
VXCF7 0 0%
VXCF9 4 40.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2012, 05:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lightbulb 05-07 poll: what strat do you run with your Pmax and your experience

OK what I'm looking for is what strategy you are using and what type of experience you have had with your Powermax. example: did it run great/bad, lots of lag, no lag, lots of smoke or no smoke. also did you have pmax tunes, did you tow any, how did it run under the stock tune, (was that the same strat)

I personally use a VXCF9NZ (powermax based tunes) on my 05 and I don't see anymore lag than when I was running a stock turbo with stock turbo tunes. I will say that I did have some lag and smoke issues till I added the Banks intercooler and piping. With out changing anything else I have also tried the same tune in a vxcf4ng and had alot of lag and smoke. I towed with my setup using the factory stock vxcf9 tune working emissions towing 5k on a 20ft steel flatbed trailer up a 9% grade IIRC 60-70mph EGT's 1190*F over about 3miles maybe a little more or less with no issues.

what I'm trying to find with this poll is a pattern of Pmax issues or if they run great depending on what strategy they run on. Also if a inferred strategy work better with a Pmax than a non inferred.

MTW note: try to keep information about MTW turbo in MTW turbo threads. This thread is about the Garrett PowerMax

Last edited by U235a4; 08-11-2012 at 05:18 AM. Reason: adding info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2012, 05:43 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I voted VXCF4, but I took it off before the dealer swapped my strat to VXCF9. I now have a modded Mad pmax that I will hope to get on this weekend and run with my Tony Wildman tune off a VXCF9 strat.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Hunt View Post
I voted VXCF4, but I took it off before the dealer swapped my strat to VXCF9. I now have a modded Mad pmax that I will hope to get on this weekend and run with my Tony Wildman tune off a VXCF9 strat.
Can you tell us more about your Pmax on the vxcf4, did it run great/bad, lots of lag, no lag, lots of smoke or no smoke. also did you have pmax tunes, did you tow any, how did it run under the stock tune, (was that the same strat)
Old 08-12-2012, 10:56 AM

Wow, I thought we had more Pmax users out there with all the comments floating around. For those that polled but didn't comment what is your impression of the pmax on your strat.

what I'm trying to do is find out if the EBP based strategy has more lag on the Pmax than a inferred strategy.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:37 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I have the VXCF9 and have not tried any others.
I really haven't noticed any more lag than with the stock turbo and also haven't had any higher exhaust temps, if anything they are lower.
But to clarify... my comparison wasn't just with switching from the stock turbo to the powermax, I also installed the GoGo intake at the same time as the powermax so it's possible that the intake helped to reduce the lag and lower the exhaust temps.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
I have the VXCF9 and have not tried any others.
I really haven't noticed any more lag than with the stock turbo and also haven't had any higher exhaust temps, if anything they are lower.
But to clarify... my comparison wasn't just with switching from the stock turbo to the powermax, I also installed the GoGo intake at the same time as the powermax so it's possible that the intake helped to reduce the lag and lower the exhaust temps.
Thanks, for the reply and note of mods when installing. BTW who does your tunes? What tune do you run.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:54 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I have only ever run tunes from Innovative (Eric) that I got before installing the powermax, and mostly just running the 50hp towbrake tune because I hardly ever drive the truck empty. I'm going to email Eric and ask him if he does any mods for the powermax?

I just received some new tunes last week from both Gearhead and Quicktricks but haven't had a chance to do any testing yet.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
I have only ever run tunes from Innovative (Eric) that I got before installing the powermax, and mostly just running the 50hp towbrake tune because I hardly ever drive the truck empty. I'm going to email Eric and ask him if he does any mods for the powermax?

I just received some new tunes last week from both Gearhead and Quicktricks but haven't had a chance to do any testing yet.
Yes Eric has the stock turbo tune and powermax tunes.... same tunes just tweeked to work better with the powermax. all my tunes are stock turbo and then in powermax tweeked
Old 08-12-2012, 04:30 PM
Premium Member

I was running the gearhead tune for the p-max with my p-max and the vx9 strat, it was descent. Then I tried tsd's SPD p-max tune with the vx4 strat and it runs stronger with less lag, mileage is not as good, and it seems to run a little hotter under WOT, but under high boost in OD it runs cooler... My truck has a MAF. IMO the TSD tune with the powermax works best with the pmax, I think it uses the turbo more to its potential, the reason I say this is the lower egt's under high boost condition in OD. I can hold 1250 egt under a heavy foot untill over 100mph when the egts start too creep over 1300. I never tried matts tunes with the vx4 strat I just used the strat that the tuners recommended and in this case matt suggested vx9 and chris suggested vx4. Depends what you after i guess matts tune ran cooler in the first four gears and def got better mileage, but for power and response spd is my choice. Also I've towed about 7000lbs with TSD's MPD and it worked well mostly because of the lower egt's in OD, not saying that other people should tow with this tune. also I am studded... I also tried the pmax with regular tunes and it was laggy, if you have a p-max IMO you need p-max tunes, especially on the newer trucks. Made a big diff on my 06, the ficm tune helped too.

Last edited by borsky4; 08-13-2012 at 05:49 AM.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:31 PM

I forgot to ask this so to those that replied and said they use or have used the vxcf9. Can you edit your comments and state whether or not you have a MAF. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.