Goal: 500RWHP TowBoss F-350 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2012, 07:19 PM
The Silent Service

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Goal: 500RWHP TowBoss F-350

Purpose: Putting this section of my goals and build over in the 6.0L Performance Sub-Section for visibility. I am looking for any feedback, comments, and information that can be provided to prove or disprove this plan. This also allows me to keep all the towing related mods out of this thread (the two threads will be updated in parallel).

I will of course keep this thread up to date as my build progresses, and results are recorded.

NOTE: This 500HP file and goal is only used as a performance tune, not a file that will allow for heavy towing. (I am getting a lot of this question, and I wanted to make this clear.) For towing, the airflow improvements matched with stock programming, and towing SCT files, will provide plenty of enjoyment towing. The truck already tows like a dream with its lower gears.

Starting Point: 2007 F350 CCLB DRW TowBoss with the 6.0L PSD, 5R110, 4x4 and 4.30 gears. (Current Weight: 8280# full tank, with driver)

ARP Head Studs
OEM Gaskets
OEM Oil Cooler
OEM EGR Cooler
Edge Insight
Autometer Gauges: EGT, Trans Temp, Fuel Press, Oil Press, and Voltmeter
Coolant Filter
3.5" DP to Stock CAT to 5" MBRP Exhaust system
SCT X3 Tuner, with files from IDP.

Goal: 500RWHP out of this truck with stock injectors, Donaldson air filter, and maintaining all emissions hardware on board. A stretch of the potential of these trucks, but something I think is worth pursuing.

Mind you guys that stock injectors are being kept to prevent any heavy towing concerns at elevation. The stock air filter is being kept for its ability to filter better than aftermarket in dusty environments.

The 500RWHP goal is purely under a performance program, one I will not tow on. I will be having two towing files written for this new setup, on without any additional fueling for towing near my max weight, and the other for lighter loads that will be more aggressive (say 325 - 350 RWHP range.) I don't intend to tow with the performance files, due to the cylinder pressures related to those tunes. This is a high-altitude, and heavy load build first and foremost, but with what can be gained by the loading of a tune, I figure I'll chase that 500HP benchmark while I'm at it.

Mods most also be compatible with stock programming, again a personal requirement for when this truck tows heavy in the high country. And not compromise my GCWR or 26,000#.

How I intend to make this come together:

Mad Turbo Werks Turbocharger: Either a Stage 2 with Billet Wheel (64.7x88mm 0.72A/R 13 Blade), or the Hybrid (64.7x88mm 0.58A/R 13 Blade). Taking under advisement at this time a metal cold-side IC pipe, and addition of an independent boost gauge.
On Edit: I will most likely have to install a new Boost Gauge while I'm in there to get the numbers sorted out.
I am also looking for the best effective way to test the new turbocharger when I get it installed. Looking for suggestions of PIDs/Parameters you guys think will be beneficial.

FICM Tuning: IDP's Mild (+25HP) or Moderate (+40HP) FICM file to aid in spooling the turbo on the low to mid range, and throttle response.

New SCT files: To incorporate and dial in the new turbo and FICM tuning. I have a couple of tuners I'm interested in working with at this point, but open to suggestions.

With next Oil Cooler (Job is coming due): Continue to run the OEM Oil Cooler at this time, but the EGR cooler will be upgraded to the BPD unit and I'll be switching from Ford Gold to EC-1 rated ELC. (Not related, but may answer some folks' questions.)

Ported Intake Manifold: Critical point here in getting more air to the motor, this is the complete U-shaped manifold, not the intake elbow often marketed as such.
-The other option for me is to take this job on myself, I'm collecting information to make this work best.

Inter-cooler: Not sure if this will be necessary to reach this point or not. Leading option is the unit from Banks Power (only piece of their gear I'll install). Due to the conflict of information on their IC pipes reducing performance, I will be testing this unit with the stock 3" piping (with adapters), and the Banks 3.5" piping.

Transmission: Nothing planned to get 500RWHP to the ground, these 5R110 units are plenty strong at this power level.

Fuel System: I won't tear into the fuel system unless the need arises. I have good fuel pressure now, running my X-Race file. After everything gets re-written I plan to re-evaluate the fuel system if pressure can't be maintained.

Tools for the Track/Dyno if I'm close but not there: The following will be on hand if I dyno or run the track and am close to the 500HP mark, but am being held back.

-Aftermarket Air Filter that runs with stock filter's box.
-CAT Delete Pipe
-EGR Valve Plug

For the ORG: Looking for your feedback and recommendations.

Last edited by colo_dually; 08-17-2012 at 12:34 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2012, 07:29 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Well you know my recommendations Ben. Nevertheless, I think this will be a solid runner for sure. It all sounds reasonable and even if you dont hit exactly at 500hp, the truck will still be plenty of fun to drive around. Best of luck man.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:21 PM
Premium Member

Pm sent.

Sent from my DROID Pro using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 08-09-2012, 10:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Well you know that I'm subscribed along for the ride on this one.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:36 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Subscribed. I have similar goals.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 08-10-2012, 04:52 AM
The Silent Service

Thanks guys, glad to see there is some interest in this one.

Timeline for this build, as a couple have asked, is to try and reach that number by the 2013 Truck Fest, at Bandimere Speedway in Colorado.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:04 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to bwmtnbiker
Im definitely curious to see this build go on. I am more curious to see how the stock injectors and everything hold up with 500hp because that's a goal I would like to reach sooner than later.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:27 AM
The Silent Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwmtnbiker View Post
Im definitely curious to see this build go on. I am more curious to see how the stock injectors and everything hold up with 500hp because that's a goal I would like to reach sooner than later.
The stock injectors haven't hit that 500HP mark yet, but I think its close to becoming a reality. The stock intake is proven to support it (though its been with aftermarket injectors), as is the transmission. Big hurdles are going to be the emissions gear, getting the tuning right, and ensuring the fueling is there for the job.

By the way, I am looking for the best effective way to test the new turbocharger when I get it installed. Looking for suggestions of PIDs/Parameters you guys think will be beneficial.

Last edited by colo_dually; 08-10-2012 at 05:31 AM.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:31 AM
Motor Head.

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
definetly interested as well.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:50 AM

The 500rwhp is achievable with what you mentioned. The main ingredient for our trucks making big power is our programmer. Would you be towing with a race tune then?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.