Experienced Modders - What's Next? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2012, 02:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Experienced Modders - What's Next?

I have an '07 6.0 crew cab lariat. Mods done already are:
-Egr delete
-Cat delete
-New oem oil cooler
-Coolant filter
-Studs
-Head, intake, exhaust gaskets
-Ficm checked and repaired/updated
-Sct tuner w/custom tunes

On the to-do list:
-Edge insight w/ pyro & fuel pressure
-4" exhaust

My question is...what's next? Upgraded turbo? New injectors? New fuel system? What else? And in what order do you recommend??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2012, 02:46 PM
The Silent Service

What is your power level goal?

Write Up: Power Potential of the 6.0L PSD

Start with the monitoring plans and exhaust first.

Depending on how much power you want to make, will determine where I recommend you going next.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:54 PM

I'm not sure, really. Maybe 500hp, 1000tq. I want lots of it available at the low end, doing city driving. And I want good, refined highway driving.

This is more of just an information gathering thing for me. I like organization and lists lol.

My next upgrades, theoretically, would be something like:
1. Cold air
2. Stage 2 turbo
3. 175 or 190 injectors.
But maybe I'm way off. And maybe all that stuff wouldn't work well with the parts I'm leaving stock?
Old 08-08-2012, 03:02 PM
The Silent Service

Not too far off.

--For CAI, I recommend the S&B with those injectors and turbo. I like the stock unit, but feel you'd be really holding that build back.

To break the 500RWHP, all you would need for injectors is 155s with either a Hybrid, or a Stage 2 turbo. This would also have a decent streetable level of power, without the need to work on the transmission other than tuning.

With the larger injectors, you'll be anywhere from 550-650+ RWHP depending on turbo and supporting modifications.
--Either set of injectors is going to require an aftermarket fuel system. I'd recommend a RR, and aftermarket pump at least, a sump may help as well depending on pump.
--With the 175's the Stage 2 should match well (actually Adrian will be testing his 175/75s with the Hybrid, Stage 2, and Stage 3 shortly at TSD and work out tuning.)
--With the 190's the Stage 3 or 4 would be a better match than the Stage 2 (Nate will be testing his 190/100s with the Stage 2, and Stage 3 shortly at TSD and work out tuning.)
*It may be best to await those results for this build*

Each build ends up with a different attitude. Hope this helps.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:02 PM

once you get an exhaust thats a very nice 500+ list. very driveable and pretty quick
Old 08-08-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colo_dually View Post
Not too far off.

--For CAI, I recommend the S&B with those injectors and turbo. I like the stock unit, but feel you'd be really holding that build back.

To break the 500RWHP, all you would need for injectors is 155s with either a Hybrid, or a Stage 2 turbo. This would also have a decent streetable level of power, without the need to work on the transmission other than tuning.

With the larger injectors, you'll be anywhere from 550-650+ RWHP depending on turbo and supporting modifications.
--Either set of injectors is going to require an aftermarket fuel system. I'd recommend a RR, and aftermarket pump at least, a sump may help as well depending on pump.
--With the 175's the Stage 2 should match well (actually Adrian will be testing his 175/75s with the Hybrid, Stage 2, and Stage 3 shortly at TSD and work out tuning.)
--With the 190's the Stage 3 or 4 would be a better match than the Stage 2 (Nate will be testing his 190/100s with the Stage 2, and Stage 3 shortly at TSD and work out tuning.)
*It may be best to await those results for this build*

Each build ends up with a different attitude. Hope this helps.
Wow that's exactly the response and info I was looking for. And you made the correct assumption, I DO NOT want to have to deal with getting an upgraded transmission right now lol.

So after my exhaust and gauges...if I do a cai, stage 2 turbo, 175 injectors, and a fuel system...I should be pretty much done without requiring tranny work?

Should I do a blue spring mod as preventative maintenance? Or is that a "if it ain't broke" thing?
Old 08-08-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the chad View Post
once you get an exhaust thats a very nice 500+ list. very driveable and pretty quick
Thanks. Hopefully that's what I get in the end. And to think this truck was bone stock only 4 weeks ago lol.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:17 PM
The Silent Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans89 View Post
Wow that's exactly the response and info I was looking for. And you made the correct assumption, I DO NOT want to have to deal with getting an upgraded transmission right now lol.

So after my exhaust and gauges...if I do a cai, stage 2 turbo, 175 injectors, and a fuel system...I should be pretty much done without requiring tranny work?

Should I do a blue spring mod as preventative maintenance? Or is that a "if it ain't broke" thing?
There are a lot of guys that don't want to touch the transmission, so around 550RWHP - properly tuned - is the understood limit, some are pushing around 600HP though.

I would say that your list, is a great starting point for your build.

As for the fuel spring, its not a bad idea for the cost. I haven't done so yet, but I don't have any issue with my fuel pressure. Its your call, but I would monitor fuel pressure via the Insight very close, if you have low pressure knock it out. This choice also plays a factor into how you go about installing an aftermarket fuel system, as some remove the stock regulator completely.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colo_dually View Post
There are a lot of guys that don't want to touch the transmission, so around 550RWHP - properly tuned - is the understood limit, some are pushing around 600HP though.

I would say that your list, is a great starting point for your build.

As for the fuel spring, its not a bad idea for the cost. I haven't done so yet, but I don't have any issue with my fuel pressure. Its your call, but I would monitor fuel pressure via the Insight very close, if you have low pressure knock it out. This choice also plays a factor into how you go about installing an aftermarket fuel system, as some remove the stock regulator completely.
Definitely didn't know that. I thought the blue spring mod it would be completely independent of an aftermarket fuel system.

Sounds great to me. Thanks for all the info!
Old 08-08-2012, 04:30 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
For your build, you are definitely on the right track. So far, theoretically anyways and provided the tuning can be dialed in, I would recommend the MTW Stage 2 with 175/75s. This should put you in the 550 range and with sensible driving, your tranny should hold up pretty well as well but like Ben said, wait for the tuning for right now. JMO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.