IPR High Flow Coolant Filter Impressions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2012, 05:26 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
IPR High Flow Coolant Filter Impressions

My buddy was wanting to add a coolant filter to help protect his freshly rebuilt oil cooler and was asking me what coolant filter I thought he should go with. I tried to get him to get the BPD oil cooling kit before he did his new oil cooler so he wouldnt ever need to worry about it plugging up again but he just couldnt swing it. I figured this was the next best thing; so I recommended it to him because while it is a bypass filter, it does have MASSIVE 3/4in hose in comparison to the competitors' tiny 1/4 or 3/8 inch hose, (so it gets a MUCH larger percentage of the coolant flowing through it to be filtered); AND on top of it all, it is built completely out of stainless steel and has a stainless steel self serviceable filter. He just got it installed yesterday and had put a little over 90 miles on it when he brought his truck over to my house (his old ECT/EOT delta was 30+F . Now his current delta is about 6-7 degrees, so hopefully it stays that way). I cracked it open even with everything good and hot and only a little bit of coolant seeps out when the filter housing is unscrewed. As long as one puts like 3 blue shop towels around it when you unscrew it, no coolant escapes or drips anywhere. Well we unscrewed it and sure enough there was a noticeable amount of sand that the filter had captured. We flushed it out with a garden hose and put it back on. I'll have him bring it over when he puts about 500 miles on it and see how it is and depending on the condition, I may have him extend it to 1000 miles. The bottomline though is, IMO, I dont think there is really any other coolant filter kit out there that I would waste my money on. I know I dont really have any small passages to clog that would need a coolant filter but I still almost want to get one because I like it that much. I took some photos so people can see how it hooks up but the one of the bottom side of the degas bottle doesnt really show a whole lot. The supply line T's into the heater hose behind the alternator and the return line Y's into the line that connects to the bottom of the degas bottle. If anyone is looking for a high quality coolant filter kit, I would HIGHLY recommend this one.
Attached Thumbnails
IPR High Flow Coolant Filter Impressions-img_0914.jpg   IPR High Flow Coolant Filter Impressions-img_0915.jpg   IPR High Flow Coolant Filter Impressions-img_0917.jpg   IPR High Flow Coolant Filter Impressions-img_0918.jpg   IPR High Flow Coolant Filter Impressions-img_0921.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2012, 05:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

good info as always
Old 08-04-2012, 05:51 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Yea I am definitely not saying that this IS the cure or anything but rather that I think it is the best attempt one can do to filter their coolant. We'll see how it does and believe me, if it doesn't keep the cooler from plugging, I will definitely post up. I definitely want people to be able to have factual data of what to expect from certain mods.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:44 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Just ordered mine. Hopefully I'll see it next week. It definitely looks better than the standard ones glad my other order was on backorder. I will be calling Monday to cancel my order with XDP. Keep us updated with anything new with the filter.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 08-04-2012, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
There is no question that is going to do a better job than anything else on the market at cleaning up the coolant but remember it is still a bypass and the coolant going through the oil cooler takes a different path. Once it gets things clean it will probably be able to maintain things.

I understand the the remote mount cooler kit puts the filter directly in front of the cooler so ALL the coolant going to the oil cooler gets filtered before going through the oil cooler. This seems the most effect way to run the oem oil cooler with the least amount of trouble. Vince did a nice job with these kits.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:29 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Absolutely Mitch. If there was a way to put a filter before the OEM cooler, I wouldn't even look at any other way to filter the coolant. I just think that this is about the best thing one can do because of the increased flow.

Does anyone know if this kit could be used to filter the coolant completely between the motor and heater core?? Just thinking it might divert even more flow to the filter.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:21 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I LOVE that filter, whenever I get the time to replace my OEM oil cooler with the shell and tube exchanger I have sitting collecting dust in my parts pile I'm going to get that filter to run all it's coolant water through. I was looking on the net for something similar but the closest were outrageously priced marine filters.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app
Old 08-04-2012, 08:26 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by windrunner408 View Post
Does anyone know if this kit could be used to filter the coolant completely between the motor and heater core?? Just thinking it might divert even more flow to the filter.
I asked that question in another write-up on the installation of this filter.
IPR coolant filter is here!!

When I was following the original post that turbo60 started about his new high flow filter I was under the impression that it filtered all the coolant going to the heater core. After seeing the pics in the above linked thread I had some questions about the tees and how the filter was suppose to be plumbed.
You raised the same question about splitting the flow between the filter and the heater core. It also could reduce the output of the heater in cold temps since it will be getting less coolant flowing through the heater core.

The OP in the other install thread said that using the tees was optional.
Vince has not replied to my questions in the other thread... but he may not of read them yet.

I'm planning on ordering one of these filters as soon as Vince answers these questions and posts up some pics of the different ways it can be mounted and also some pics of the new optional plumbing manifold he had said was in the works.

If I'm understanding what you said... the filter base has a shut off built into it so when you remove the filter it doesn't loose coolant?

Last edited by Arctic Fox; 08-04-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:41 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
... I was under the impression that it filtered all the coolant going to the heater core... You raised the same question about splitting the flow between the filter and the heater core. It also could reduce the output of the heater in cold temps since it will be getting less coolant flowing through the heater core.

The OP in the other install thread said that using the tees was optional... If I'm understanding what you said... the filter base has a shut off built into it so when you remove the filter it doesn't loose coolant?
I was under this same impression and I am tempted to see if altering the configuration has any negative impact on the heating capability of the truck. Which way does the coolant flow?? Does it flow from the motor to the heater box in that line on the passenger side or is it the other way around??

No the filter system does not have any shut off valves. All I did was (since the truck was still hot) crack the degas bottle cap and unscrewed the filter housing from the base.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i got to quit reading nates reviews. kinda makes me want to go buy what he reviews. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.