Liberator heads - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2012, 08:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to extremlx
Question Liberator heads

Hey guys what is the avarage cash out of pocket for the o ringed heads including core repair?

Last edited by extremlx; 08-31-2012 at 05:17 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2012, 08:44 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
You better have VERY DEEP POCKETS!!! What are your goals for the truck? Are you trying to pull competitively? Drag competitively? If your trying to make 600hp you don't need to fire ring your heads. ARP's with OEM gaskets will work just fine. To have your heads sent out and have them fire rung then your looking at around $2000 a head to have it done the right way. That's just with machining and fire rings thats not including new valve seats valves guides rockers and full valve job port and polish. if you throw that all together with fire rings your looking at about a $6000 head job. And to build the truck to the point where you would actually need fire rings would cost your probably triple that between bigger injectors bigger turbo or custom compound setup plus a fully built trans, torque converter, transfer case, rear end, front end, suspension, etc etc the list goes on. If you need fire rung heads your gonna need to upgrade the rest of the complete drive train for the power modifications your gonna need to justify needing fire rings.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:52 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Yep as mentioned, there is really no need for fire ringed heads on these motors except for in extreme circumstances. From everything I have read about, they dont fair to well in daily driven applications due to the cycling of thermal stresses of components not heating up and cooling down at the same rate.

JMO, take it FWIW.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:55 PM
Banned

There is a local shop to my area that has a new set of fire rings that they just came out with and so far they have pulled 12 times this year and haven't had a problem with them yet. I asked about getting them in my truck and Gailen told me that unless I'm ready to drop around $3000 per head for a full head job and fire rings and ready to triple that on supporting mods not to worry about it.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:44 PM

I was on the phone with strictly diesel and they said for the power I'm looking for that they would recomend oringed heads I want 500/550 and want to drive it fault and tow
Old 08-02-2012, 09:53 PM
The Silent Service

If you are looking for 500-550RWHP, there is zero need for that level of head modification.

There are trucks putting 600HP down with studs, OEM gaskets, and stock heads.

Simple swap of tunes, and you'll be able to tow with full confidence.

Are you getting ready for your stud job, or are they already in? If you haven't pulled the heads yet, I recommend just having them checked at a machine shop and if good, put them back in there. If you need new heads from Ford, get those checked as well.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremlx View Post
I was on the phone with strictly diesel and they said for the power I'm looking for that they would recomend oringed heads I want 500/550 and want to drive it fault and tow
Of course they are going to tell you that!!! Think about it. If you were them and someone brought it up to you and you seen a potential $6000 paycheck coming your way what would you do?? You would "recommend" it.

Your truck doesn't need fire rung heads for 550 hp wildrunner is pushing over 600hp and he has arp studs with OEM gaskets and he puts his truck to the "TEST" everyday he drives it.

Any shop that would "recommend" having that kind of work done for such a small gain over stock power levels is not a good performance shop in my opinion. If I were you I would start talking to other shops that know their stuff. Call any really reputable shops that build competition rigs and ask them what they think about a 500hp rig needing fire rung heads they will most likely laugh and ask you who gave you such bogus information.

Its just my $0.02 take it for what its worth but if your going to fire ring your heads your going to have at least $4000 - $6000 just in head work. If you take that money and put it towards ARP's with OEM gaskets you can easily afford all the other supporting mods you would need to hit 500 rwhp and probably still have money left over if you did the work yourself.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:21 PM

I was on the phone with strictly diesel and they said for the power I'm looking for that they would recommend O ringed heads . I'm replacing a leaking head gasket and while it is down that far I just wanna do it right and not have to do it again . Nate I really want to do your set up just not that much power . I am goin to order a RR kit ,coolant return , and bpd oil cooler . Already have the egr delete and sct from IDP, and full MBRP
Old 08-02-2012, 10:35 PM
Banned

Trust us when we tell you that you do not need fire rung heads (o-rings) for a 500hp build. There are thousands of guys out there right now making 500+ hp on stock OEM gaskets with arp head studs. That is what you need to do the job right. Along with sending the heads out to a machine shop to have them magged pressure tested checked for flatness and decked to make completely flat if necessary. If you do that you can put 600hp down and be good to go.

If your trying to hit higher numbers than that and have huge boost numbers 45+ psi then you need to start thinking about fire ringing the heads as well as getting the stronger h11 elite studs or custom aged studs from arp. (FYI those studs alone are around $1500) Then the fire rung head job $6000 then a big enough turbo for the application $3000+ huge injectors $3500+ modded intake manifold $1000 intercooler $1100+ possibly a bottom end build if your trying to hit big numbers probably looking at $4000+ for that job alone and you still haven't even messed with the drive train yet. For that build you could spend upwards of $10,000 - $15,000 for that to be able to handle the power you want to put to the wheels.

All of this stuff that I added prices for are what you call supporting mods in other words mods that would be needed for an application that required fire ringing the heads. As I said its you money and you can spend it how you want but we are all here to help each other out. That's all I'm trying to do bud. You don't need your heads o-ringed for a 500 hp build.

Last edited by Tuscany; 08-02-2012 at 10:38 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:45 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It looks like your talking yourself into laying down some large $$$$. As already stated you do not need it for your driving. "O" rings do NOT guaranty that you won't blow gaskets again, they're meant more for competition trucks which are torn down often because, like already stated, they do not like being in a daily driver. The tolerances are critical for a good seal and this does not work well on an engine that is going to be driven and shut off winter and summer year after year. I know it sounds cool to say that your engine is "O" ringed but take those THOUSANDS of dollars and buy yourself some useful mods. Also, just in case you end up listening to these posts and look at something else that sounds good, stay away from Hypermax's "O" ring gaskets, they don't stand up.

Last edited by Term3; 08-02-2012 at 10:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.