finally biting the "bullet" - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2012, 11:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
finally biting the "bullet"

Finally stepping up to a bulletproof diesel oil cooler. I knew it was coming but kept trying to convince myself that i wasnt. I have done 2 oil cooler rebuilds and ford supposedly did another under warranty when the egr cooler crapped out. Every time i did them i followed the flush procedures with restore and restore plus with tons of fresh distilled water. This is all within 3 yrs. The other day while driving to florida, 300 miles each way, i saw deltas of 12-14 on the way there and up to 18 on the way home. Instead of doing a standard rebuild again i opted for the BPD kit, once and done hopefully. Ive heard nothing but great things about them so im excited to see how it works. I didnt get the cold weather kit. Being in south louisiana we stay pretty warm and drop below 40 a few days a year.
Also going in is: stc fitting, ipr screen, stand pipes, dummy plugs, cc vent, metal cac tube and cleaning turbo. Already there is cat elc, coolant filter, egr delete with up pipe, blue spring and rotella t-6. Anything else i should be doing?
Guys who have done this, any tips or advice on the cooler install? Looks straight forward but tips always help.
Will keep thread updated with parts pictures and install.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2012, 11:39 AM

You and I are in the same boat, and I ordered my BPD oil cooler earlier in the week.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:04 PM

Good luck with the install, seemed like the best option out there
Old 08-02-2012, 12:16 PM

You too! And I agree, definitely the best option available. I was getting ready for my third oil cooler and realized I needed to just spend the money and do it right. I'm planning on tackling the install the weekend of 8/18 and posting a detailed write up soon after. Not sure if you'll do yours before or after me, but I'd be happy to swap tips and tricks.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:26 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94slowbra View Post
...i saw deltas of 12-14 on the way there and up to 18 on the way home...
Man this is nothing. I went for a drive with a guy on Sunday that was showing close to 30F for delta (190F coolant temp and over 220F on oil).

I know I would be like hoping I didnt have a problem. He's gonna rebuild the oil cooler and delete the EGR system real soon anyways.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:41 PM

How about this? 65 mph on flat ground, ECT 205 / EOT 244. No, I didn't have a monitoring solution until a couple of months ago.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:46 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Old 08-02-2012, 01:08 PM

Exactly. The pucker factor went up exponentially the first time I went for a drive on the highway with the ScanGuage plugged in. Thank you, Valvoline, for Premium Blue Extreme.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:13 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

It kinda makes you wonder how long you could go before something let loose. I did a coolant pressure check on his truck to make sure his head gaskets were still holding and even in the 97F heat doing some WOT runs up some hills, we never broke 10psi. I think if he gets the EGR delete, oil cooler, and IPR full flow coolant filter done, he should be able to keep from lifting a head until he can get some funds together for some studs.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:18 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94slowbra View Post
Finally stepping up to a bulletproof diesel oil cooler. I knew it was coming but kept trying to convince myself that i wasnt. I have done 2 oil cooler rebuilds and ford supposedly did another under warranty when the egr cooler crapped out. Every time i did them i followed the flush procedures with restore and restore plus with tons of fresh distilled water. This is all within 3 yrs. The other day while driving to florida, 300 miles each way, i saw deltas of 12-14 on the way there and up to 18 on the way home. Instead of doing a standard rebuild again i opted for the BPD kit, once and done hopefully. Ive heard nothing but great things about them so im excited to see how it works. I didnt get the cold weather kit. Being in south louisiana we stay pretty warm and drop below 40 a few days a year.
Also going in is: stc fitting, ipr screen, stand pipes, dummy plugs, cc vent, metal cac tube and cleaning turbo. Already there is cat elc, coolant filter, egr delete with up pipe, blue spring and rotella t-6. Anything else i should be doing?
Guys who have done this, any tips or advice on the cooler install? Looks straight forward but tips always help.
Will keep thread updated with parts pictures and install.
It's a good bullet to bite. I know it's expensive, but I have not regretted installing the BPD components on my truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.