How much does your APR stud stick out? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2012, 07:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
How much does your APR stud stick out?

So long story short truck went to the shop to get head studs and gaskets. The shop that did it was a former Ford dealer but no longer is as of the last year or so, but still have a the ford mechanics. Job gets done, the start it up- #7 injector is misfiring. Skip ahead some more and even though my factory warranty is up, Ford has an extended deal with California for emissions stuff. The injector is covered by ford, but it has to go to a actual Ford dealership, so off it goes. So today the dealer calls me and says my head studs are loose, asks me when I got them done. I say 2 days ago. Call the original shop that did it and the call the dealer. The dealer which as done hundreds of these said that my stud stuck out of the nut further than usual. Apparently about 1/4in is what is normal for him, but mine were close to 1/2 in. They checked them though and they were all at 210ft lbs though. So eventually my original shop and i come to the conclusion that they are fine as long as the are all the same and torqued to spe. I was just curious from those who have done stud job/s or have them what you opinion on this is. Sorry for the long story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2012, 07:33 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to 2003kingranch
Mine stick out about a 1/4". if yours stick out further i don't see that being a huge problem as long as they a torqued. there would just be less threads grabbing the block
Old 08-01-2012, 07:34 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I can assure you that as long as you have at least what the diameter of the stud is threaded into the block AND all of the nuts torqued to 210ft-lbs, you will be just fine. You dont gain any extra holding strength from a fastener once it is threaded in to a depth more than its diameter and it definitely sounds like this is your case. Hope this helps.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:40 PM
Serving Our Country!

Mine stick out about a 1/4" also.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:42 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Ya that's kinda what I thought. they're in the block all the way. He said they actually every used a wrench to snug them up, not just finger tight. I haven't even seen them myself yet, so we'll see...Thanks guys
Old 08-01-2012, 08:15 PM

Just walked outside and looked at mine right around 1/4 inch on mine as well
Old 08-02-2012, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrunner408 View Post
I can assure you that as long as you have at least what the diameter of the stud is threaded into the block AND all of the nuts torqued to 210ft-lbs, you will be just fine. You dont gain any extra holding strength from a fastener once it is threaded in to a depth more than its diameter and it definitely sounds like this is your case. Hope this helps.
Right on!!

Not to many know this answer except for a certain few.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:28 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05harley View Post
Right on!!

Not to many know this answer except for a certain few.
The required depth of the thread is also dependent on the material that the threads are in.
Thread depth in steel is 1 x dia, cast iron 1.5 x dia, aluminum 2 x dia.
These numbers may not be exact but you get the idea.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:04 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
The required depth of the thread is also dependent on the material that the threads are in.
Perhaps that is the case, but from the stand point of the fastener, you wont gain anything extra from the fastener itself if you screw it in deep than the diameter of its shaft.

I understand what your saying about the material being screwed into also being a determining factor but I think in the OP's case he is still good to go. JMO.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:01 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
Quote:
Perhaps that is the case, but from the stand point of the fastener, you wont gain anything extra from the fastener itself if you screw it in deep than the diameter of its shaft.

I understand what your saying about the material being screwed into also being a determining factor but I think in the OP's case he is still good to go. JMO.
Yes I think for the original question the OP had about the ARP studs he will be fine.

The point I was making was that 1 x the diameter if not always the rule... like in the case of the (4) M6 bolts attaching the intake elbow onto the intake manifold where you are screwing into aluminum you would want more than just 1 x the bolt diameter (6mm) of thread engagement. In that case 12mm would be much stronger and less likely to pull or strip the threads in the intake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.