Looking for advice on coming build for my 6.0 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2012, 05:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to lademocowboy
Looking for advice on coming build for my 6.0

Now that I have saved up for just over a year I am finally ready to start my build on my truck. It is a 2007 F350 SRW 4X4 with approx. 90,000 miles. This is going to be a lenghty post, but I will give my appreciation for all adivce and information ahead of time.

FLUIDS and Filters

I plan to continue running the full line of Mobile 1 products in my truck except for the transmission where I continue to run Mercon SP. Products are as follows:

Mobil 1 5W40 Turbo Diesel Truck or Rotella T6 5W40 for motor oil, I normally buy which ever one of these I can find at the time. I just ran Hot Shots Secret with my last oil change, and I am thinking of moving over to Rev-X for every oil change here after. Is 5W40 a good weight for Southern California?

Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF in the transfer case.

Mobil 1 Synthetic 75W90 in the front end with the Mag Hytec diff cover

Mobil 1 Synthetic 75W140 in the rear end with the Mag Hytec diff cover

Zerex ELC after a flush with Restore and Restore Plus. Are coolant circulation lines really needed on this engine?

Motorcraft SP in the transmission with the Mag Hytec deep pan, Is there any Synthetic replacement out there at this time?

I always use Motorcraft oil, fuel, and transmission filters.

Parts

Garrett Powermax GT3788VA Turbo
BulletProof upgraded EGR cooler and new OEM oil cooler
ARP Headstuds and new OEM headgaskets
Fuel Pressure Regulator kit with upgraded blue spring
Elite Diesel Stage 1 or Stock Replacement Hi Efficiency fuel injectors?

Elite Diesel Engineering Stage 1+ regulated fuel return system and/or AirDog II, I am really lost on decided how to upgrade my fuel system. It is my understanding that both of these aren't needed. If I go with the AirDog II are the restrictive lines still an issue. What is the best way to go about this?

Flowmaster Turbo back 4 inch exhaust system, reusing the old cat to stay in compliance in CA. Is there a known aftermarket 4 inch CAT out there? I also thought about going with a BD exhaust brake, but I just recently heard about custom tunes from IDP that can create an exhaust brake like situation that works quite well. What about the banks brakes on these trucks?

Edge Insight CTS with EGT probe, and turbo timer addons. Would anyone recommend adding any other monitoring devices such as an Edge presssure sensor or temp sensor for something?

IDP Programmed SCT programmer. Any recommendations on tunes for the above build?

Banks Power Techni-cooler system

Banks Power Ram-air intake system

Banks Power Billet torque converter

That is all I can remember for the time being? Am I looking over anything important. Any and all adivce is gladly accepted.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2012, 05:51 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Well since you are not running Motorcraft oil, I would highly recommend Amsoil products. I have been running it in my truck since the very first oil change and have nothing but good things to say about it. I would run their 5w40 with some Archoil AR9100 (this is JUST as good as rev-x and HALF the price). Amsoil also makes tranny fluid that I hear is really good so if you are going to do a tranny flush and switch away from Mecron SP, then this is what I would run. Otherwise just stick with your Mobil 1 plan (it's also good oil), instead use AR9100, and run Mecron SP tranny fluid (it is as good as the Amsoil).

For a turbo, I would recommend a MTW Hybrid.

For a fuel system, I would not recommend an AD2. STAY AWAY. I would recommend an AD100 in your case and the blue spring upgrade and 6.4 banjo bolts. Then monitor fuel pressure to see if you need a RR kit. I doubt you will. The Airdog is worth it IMO. I REALLY like how it removes the air from the fuel and it quieted my engine down at idle.

Your Exhaust sounds like a good one. XDP sells 4in and 5in diameter inlet and outlet catalytic converters. That is what I would do.

Edge CTS is GREAT. Pyro and Pressure probe for fuel pressure is what I would do.

In your case, I would not waste my money on any of the banks stuff other than the intercooler but I still dont think you need even that yet.

I also would not do anything with the torque converter unless you really need to. I would just save the money on all of the banks stuff you want to get and put it towards a built transmission (can talk more about that later if interested).

These are just my opinions. I hope it helps.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

unless youre dead set on elites injectors and rr, they dont have the best track record on getting parts to people and being quality, rather look into warren diesel injectors jesse and ryan casserly at full force diesel are two of the best, theres others but most people use these two, the regulated return the dozer diesel rr's great pieces.

the air dog 150s are a low pressure pump as apposed to the ad2 which if that fails youre stranded on the road, the ad150 the stock pump can still keep you going.

I wouldnt worry about an intercooler just yet, the powermax or mtw1 puts out a little over stock psi but if you were using a larger turbo that goes to 40psi or better Id say you need a new one,

the stock trans is good up to 550 to 600hp sparingly though, save money were you can, do a bunch of research and ask around some things you have listed you can save money on
Old 08-01-2012, 07:10 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Yes I forgot to add. I also would not go with Elite's injectors. Not because they are bad per say but their customer service straight up sucks and their injectors are gonna cost you.

By sending your injectors to either Warren or Sheldon you will definitely save some money, have good injectors that will last and be stood behind my their makers, and if you scratch the banks stuff, you will most definitely have enough money for a built tranny. I would look into a Warren transmission for a VERY cost effective solution. JMO.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:46 PM

the banks stuff imo isnt worth it, bout only thing worth it is the intercooler but thats it, you can get a better unit with a spearco that keeps stock tubes and get a no limit cold side. I think about anything from warren diesel is a good bet to last considering hes pulling in the 2.6 class with a 6.0, hows that for product testing
Old 08-01-2012, 08:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

After chatting with Warren Diesel, I believe I am sold on their product as far as injectors go. The only reason I posted the Banks products is because I was given them for a huge discount after my father dropped his 6.0 for the 6.7. I am going to sell the torque converter, but I am wanted to use the intercooler since I have it. Why is it important to keep the stock tubes as with the spearco? What is meant by a no limit cold side?
Old 08-01-2012, 08:40 PM

the 3.5inch tubes you loose the air velocity with the stock 3inch tubes, madpowerstroke put the kit on and lost spool up and lost a pound or two of psi, didnt know you got the banks pieces for a deal. the cold side pipe is from no limit fab, they make a two piece kit that you can put bungs for boost and water/meth, heres a link to the powerstroke army that has it New No Limit 6.0 Intake Kit - PowerStrokeArmy
Old 08-01-2012, 11:25 PM
Premium Member

I think every build should start with, what you want out of your truck, rather than puting parts together. There are alot of great parts that support each other if put together the right way. You need to decide how much horsepower you want, and how you want to use your truck. DD, tow, race or a little of both, there are limits on certain uses per horsepower.
So, what do you want your truck to do?
Old 08-02-2012, 05:24 AM
The Silent Service

I'm gonna agree with Adrian here, he actually beat me to the question I wanted to ask in the first place.

What level of power do you want out of the truck?

What is the truck going to be used for DD / Tow / Hotrod / Off Road?

How deep into the build are you wanting to go?

Get back to me on those answers, either here or via PM, and I'll give ya my opinion of which route to take. So far a lot of good insight in this thread to get you started.

I would avoid the exhaust brake (these turbos/motors will have issues with it), and the Banks Intake and Torque Converter. I won't make recommendations on either until we hear your plans.

The threads in my sig, may offer a lot more for you as well.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I am looking to build a darn near bulletproof 6.0 that I can use for weekend drives with and without my fifth wheel. I don't do much daily driving with it since I live in LA, but I do drive it on my days off around town. The truck is completely stock other than the upgraded fuel regulator kit with the blue spring. The one question I had about this kit was that I had some left over pieces, most notably the black plastic circle piece. Is pipe tape needed on the fuel fittings? I have also switched over to ELC after a restore and restore plus flush. I am probably going to do this once more because I still had minor coloring and a few suds in the water after ten hrs of flushing with the thermostat removed. Is that a good idea?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.