VXCF4NG vs VXCF9NZ + Powermax experience - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2012, 04:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
VXCF4NG vs VXCF9NZ + Powermax experience

ok I was thinking about it and someone said I should do so I did. I started by making sure my EBP tube and fittings where all cleaned real good when doing the heads and I also put a new sensor on JIC. I sent Eric my Aggressive Street pmax based tune in VXCF9NZ (inferred) to him. He then built me a VXCF4NG (non inferred) Aggressive street pmax tune. What I can say so far is the vxcf9 is better right off idle (less lag) now one the truck gets moving a tad the vxcf4 seems the same to a little better ( more aggressive light switch feeling). from a crusie again the vxcf9 seems to have less lag right off the throttle change and cleans up quicker where as the vxcf4 just rolls the coal and then take off. also 60-65mph boost of the vxcf9 is 3-4 where as the vxcf4 is 5-6 ( this can be taken two ways 1 if the motor is making more power it will in turn have less boost and or 2 just differences in the ecm tuning). Idling the exhaust smell is a little worse on the vxcf4 over the vxcf9. WOT boost is 1 psi lower with the vxcf4 (25-26psi) the vxcf9 is (27-28psi) I'll be doing some data logging with AE and will present that for each strat and even email the caps to those that have AE and what to see the data. I'll be getting some EGT readings also along with MPGs. I can say I favor the vxcf9 with my setup and will be going back to that once I get done. to me for a dd the vxcf9 just seems to do everything better again for my setup. The better right off idle throttle response (almost gasser like) for stop and go traffic is what I really like of the vxcf9 over the vxcf4 which seems to need a little more throttle and there is a very very fine line to just rolling coal which the vxcf9 dones't seem to have. Now I will say the tranny seems to be better right off the bat and doesn't need as much learning so there is a plus for the vxcf4. well I'll check back in once I get more information to add.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2012, 05:22 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
This is MOST interesting. Can the VXCF9xx strategy work on a 2006 ECM?? Perhaps this may be the strategy to base some of the MTW turbo tunes on?? Thanks for the information man.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrunner408 View Post
This is MOST interesting. Can the VXCF9xx strategy work on a 2006 ECM?? Perhaps this may be the strategy to base some of the MTW turbo tunes on?? Thanks for the information man.
I think yes but don't qoute me... the biggest thing I noticed what that first tip in of the throttle seems cleaner snappier on the vxcf9 than the vxcf4. Now right after the tip in the vxcf4 seems to just take off while the vxcf9 is smoother on its power. again both will break the tires free. Another thing I noticed is the powermax is alot louder with the vxcf9. I have a few thoughts already rolling around in my head whats going on. some of what adrian said about EBP and the 10vs 13 blade turbines when it comes to the vxcf4. with the vxcf9 the truck like the banks setup and tubes, I think this is because the truck is use the MAF to sense air flow and map to sense boost it reacts quicker maybe to fueling and timing needs where the vxcf4 setup has to start moving air through the engine before it make an affect which is the tip lag I notice. again a none maf based truck would act different I presume since you lack that sensor to measure air flow.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:56 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
My 2006 F-450 has a VXCF9J4 strategy
Old 08-01-2012, 06:22 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Sweet man. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:37 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
My 05 has the VXCF9xxx strategy
Old 08-02-2012, 05:51 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
This is a very interesting comparison. I actually have done something similar with my truck. I have two versions of Erics XtremeX, one that uses inferred EBP and that uses actual. I have noticed, in my case, that the actual EBP tune spools faster, builds more boost, and pulls harder throughout the powerband. And, in relation to sound, with the actual EBp tune, the powermax is insanely loud but with the inferred it is quieter. My truck is an 03, maybe that has something to do with it.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:54 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Quote:
Vxcf9 family works with the 05-07 trucks
Old 08-02-2012, 06:51 AM

I've had VXCF4, VXCF7, and am running VXCF9. VXCF9 has been the best for me. Better starting, vane sweep, and just plain smoother.

My truck did not come factory with a MAF sensor in the intake. Does yours have that factor MAF in the intake??

Also, do you have an EGR cooler delete??
Old 08-02-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebusa View Post
My truck did not come factory with a MAF sensor in the intake. Does yours have that factor MAF in the intake??

Also, do you have an EGR cooler delete??
Yes my truck is a early 05 so it has the 05 engine but MAF in the intake late, EBP sensor by the thermostat and lacks other changes that you see in the mid year 05 and up trucks.

Yes I have a BPD egr cooler but I use a 04 up pipe (lacks the scoop) but all my tunes have the egr disabled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.