Some EGR related questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 05:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
Some EGR related questions

First off I took my truck to a friend of a friend who works for Navistar. He hooked my truck up and determined I had a faulty EGR valve. I am trying to decide if I need to replace the valve right away before I do a delete or if I can wait a couple of weeks. I saw that EGR valves are around 150 dollars, unless someone knows where to get them for a better price?

What are people paying for delete kits? The guy I had scan my truck has a new one that he got (somehow) and is offering it to me for 50 dollars. He says about 500 to install, so I'm not sure what a good price is. This is what he has http://i.imgur.com/ksCbB.jpg I was thinking about doing the delete that welds the end(s) of the factory cooler though.....I had read that it's a better option to maintain the strength of the up pipe to prevent cracking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2012, 05:59 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
OK how did he say it failed? was it stuck open? if so then clean it the most likely reason it is stuck open is because the egr cooler is starting to go bad. right when they start to go bad they make little carbon balls from the coolant starting to leak into the egr passage and if you break them open they are Grey inside. i would just clean the carbon of the valve then reinstall it. don't get any solvent in the vent hole under the valve or it will ruin it. put your egr delete on and cap the hole for the valve.if you looked at the voltage of the valve it should be around 0,84 to 0.89 volts when they stick open it will read around 0.93 to 1.12 volts

Last edited by JUGERNAUT; 07-31-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:22 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Smokin73Stroker View Post
I was thinking about doing the delete that welds the end(s) of the factory cooler though.....I had read that it's a better option to maintain the strength of the up pipe to prevent cracking?
That's a good deal for a delete kit. As for leaving the cooler in place to strengthen the up-pipe to me it makes more sense to not have it there. My theory is as the cooler expands and contracts it puts more side loading back and forth on the up-pipe which would cause bellows cracking. IDK just tossing an idea out there. LOL you could always cheap out like I did and make your own EGR cooler delete. It's not real big job to do a delete just a PITA ackward and time consuming.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app
Old 07-31-2012, 07:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
He tested it after I had already cleaned the valve the night before just for good measure.

The problem I've noticed is at idle, it will die off to about 500, then try to rev itself back up to about 1k rpm. It has only happened about 3-4 times, but that's 3-4 times in just under two weeks of ownership.

Is 500 dollars to install the delete kit a pretty fair price?
Old 07-31-2012, 07:43 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
He tested it after I had already cleaned the valve the night before just for good measure.

The problem I've noticed is at idle, it will die off to about 500, then try to rev itself back up to about 1k rpm. It has only happened about 3-4 times, but that's 3-4 times in just under two weeks of ownership.

Is 500 dollars to install the delete kit a pretty fair price?
well if its 100 per hour then thats 5 hrs labor thats about right. but you seem capable of doing that job yourself right? you should give it a go!!
Old 08-01-2012, 02:05 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Don't buy a new egr valve if your putting a delete kit on the truck the delete kit has a block off plate that covers the hole on the intake manifold where the egr valve goes. 50 bucks for a NEW egr delete kit is a steal you should jump on it if its a complete kit that includes the block off plates and new up pipe as well. If not rivercitydiesel.com has the whole kit for $199. As for installing it if I were you I would be getting hands on here and pocketing the $500 and putting it towards something useful such as a monitoring system such as Dashboss or an edge insight cs/cts. Just my $0.02.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:56 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany View Post
Don't buy a new egr valve if your putting a delete kit on the truck the delete kit has a block off plate that covers the hole on the intake manifold where the egr valve goes. 50 bucks for a NEW egr delete kit is a steal you should jump on it if its a complete kit that includes the block off plates and new up pipe as well. If not rivercitydiesel.com has the whole kit for $199. As for installing it if I were you I would be getting hands on here and pocketing the $500 and putting it towards something useful such as a monitoring system such as Dashboss or an edge insight cs/cts. Just my $0.02.
DITTO!!! 100% AGREE HANDS ON BABY
Old 08-01-2012, 05:17 AM

Quote:
First off I took my truck to a friend of a friend who works for Navistar. He hooked my truck up and determined I had a faulty EGR valve. I am trying to decide if I need to replace the valve right away before I do a delete or if I can wait a couple of weeks. I saw that EGR valves are around 150 dollars, unless someone knows where to get them for a better price?

What are people paying for delete kits? The guy I had scan my truck has a new one that he got (somehow) and is offering it to me for 50 dollars. He says about 500 to install, so I'm not sure what a good price is. This is what he has http://i.imgur.com/ksCbB.jpg I was thinking about doing the delete that welds the end(s) of the factory cooler though.....I had read that it's a better option to maintain the strength of the up pipe to prevent cracking?
The delete kit that you have pictured has a new up-pipe that doesnt have the flex section, so you will not have to worry about it cracking! I would buy the delete kit and either install it or have him do it! Plus that is a heck of a deal on the delete kit! Better to be proactive before you pop the headgaskets!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.