Injector Size question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 07:52 AM
Motor Head.

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Injector Size question

I am thinking about going to bigger injectors,(because of some problems,either a sticking injector or a leaking one,I have not trouble shooted yet) and wondering how big I can go.I pull a 5th wheel that weighs 14k .Will I automatically loose fuel mileage by going bigger,even if keeping my foot out of it ?

I was thinking of 155's but wondering can I get 175's and keep my egts's in check? Down the road this winter I will be getting a different turbo from Adrian too.

Thanks,Robert

I found the answers through a search thanks.....Help with choosing parts combo for towing

Last edited by robertc68; 07-31-2012 at 08:13 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2012, 08:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I would think you could do 175s if your going to upgrade the turbo.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Old 07-31-2012, 09:06 AM

For me, once the mad turbos have a few months of use with good results, I will be getting one. I was going to jump and get a turbo but I changed my mind and decided to wait for a good track record.

At 14,000lbs, I would stick with stocks. If you want 155 then get some extra goodies, like an FICM tune. Stuff to help the truck run more efficient and cooler.
I would just get a bigger turbo. It is only going to hlep your situation and give you what you want, power and lower egt's.

Last edited by smokersteve; 07-31-2012 at 09:13 AM.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Robt, 155/30's with a Hybrid or a Stage2 might be an option for you. The Stage3 with the right sticks and accessories might also end up being a strong tow rig but it is to early in the testing and the best sticks for that still need to be determined.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:55 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
Robt, 155/30's with a Hybrid or a Stage2 might be an option for you. The Stage3 with the right sticks and accessories might also end up being a strong tow rig but it is to early in the testing and the best sticks for that still need to be determined.
i agree with you pgreensvt.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:38 PM
Premium Member

I always get asked questions about injectors to turbo. I tend to think a different way than an injector guy. Turbo guys(me) can never have enough air, into the combo, injector guys can't have enough fuel.
This all goes back to the basic fact of what a diesel engine wants, air. Diesel love air more than fuel, fuel makes big power in a diesel but also with high EGT's. You can have a truck with 205 stock injectors put down over 500rwhp, with right tune but egt's would be too high for horsepower to be used other than a few seconds on the dyno, or track.
On the other hand pump alot of air in and smallest amount of fuel to hit the right combo and you get big horsepower, just as much as the fuel but now it's usefull power. How much air to fuel easy, that's where the dyno helps, not so much as power output measure but to see horsepower to torque measurement.
For example:: if you are running a big turbo, with alot of flow( I like to start with air first), stock injectors,and put on dyno. Say you get 500rwhp, but torque is at 890lbs, and this is very important egt's are at 1000 degrees. Now you now that there is not enough fuel, due to egt and torque being too low for rwhp, should be just about even. you could try to increase fuel but then you might be max out so now increase the injectors. What to, not 175/75, injector but 155/35 first and then make your way up, from there. 155/35 might have you at 525rwhp and 1025lbs of tq and say egt's at 1250dregrees, that it you hit the limit of horsepower for that combo. Now if egt's where a little higher you could adjust timing a little lower through tune, but of course hoursepower and torque may go down alittle.
Some people have got a hold of me and say I got a deal from the injector guy on some 190/100, so what do I need turbo wise. I tell them flat out you didn't get a great deal, why? easy the turbo for 190/100 would be a stage 3, and with that much air and fuel you would be over 600rwhp easy. What's so bad about that, well now put money aside for tranny, because it will tear up a stock tranny. So 4500-6000 dollars for a transmission ,and the deal on injectors wasn't so good, unless you knew that before hand.
Most of the owners I talk to want a strong, fast, truck that can tow, well that's a 500-540 rwhp truck. So what combo is that 155 injectors with a stage 1,(or powermax), Hybrid, or stage 2. If more power needed than water/meth can be used, now this is if you want a do it all truck. There are other combos that I will be getting together as I get things going better and hopefully other members can put together to get the best towing and all around truck. As I put more turbos with more air flow then injectors size can increase and then step up to another combo, but anything greater than the combo just mention and transmission needs to be considered.
Sorry for going on and on but, I hope this helps everone, and of course this is my opinion, and what I have learned so far with the combos.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:36 PM
Motor Head.

thanks for all the responses,makes perfect sense.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:21 AM
Motor Head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpowerstroke View Post
I always get asked questions about injectors to turbo. I tend to think a different way than an injector guy. Turbo guys(me) can never have enough air, into the combo, injector guys can't have enough fuel.
This all goes back to the basic fact of what a diesel engine wants, air. Diesel love air more than fuel, fuel makes big power in a diesel but also with high EGT's. You can have a truck with 205 stock injectors put down over 500rwhp, with right tune but egt's would be too high for horsepower to be used other than a few seconds on the dyno, or track.
On the other hand pump alot of air in and smallest amount of fuel to hit the right combo and you get big horsepower, just as much as the fuel but now it's usefull power. How much air to fuel easy, that's where the dyno helps, not so much as power output measure but to see horsepower to torque measurement.
For example:: if you are running a big turbo, with alot of flow( I like to start with air first), stock injectors,and put on dyno. Say you get 500rwhp, but torque is at 890lbs, and this is very important egt's are at 1000 degrees. Now you now that there is not enough fuel, due to egt and torque being too low for rwhp, should be just about even. you could try to increase fuel but then you might be max out so now increase the injectors. What to, not 175/75, injector but 155/35 first and then make your way up, from there. 155/35 might have you at 525rwhp and 1025lbs of tq and say egt's at 1250dregrees, that it you hit the limit of horsepower for that combo. Now if egt's where a little higher you could adjust timing a little lower through tune, but of course hoursepower and torque may go down alittle.
Some people have got a hold of me and say I got a deal from the injector guy on some 190/100, so what do I need turbo wise. I tell them flat out you didn't get a great deal, why? easy the turbo for 190/100 would be a stage 3, and with that much air and fuel you would be over 600rwhp easy. What's so bad about that, well now put money aside for tranny, because it will tear up a stock tranny. So 4500-6000 dollars for a transmission ,and the deal on injectors wasn't so good, unless you knew that before hand.
Most of the owners I talk to want a strong, fast, truck that can tow, well that's a 500-540 rwhp truck. So what combo is that 155 injectors with a stage 1,(or powermax), Hybrid, or stage 2. If more power needed than water/meth can be used, now this is if you want a do it all truck. There are other combos that I will be getting together as I get things going better and hopefully other members can put together to get the best towing and all around truck. As I put more turbos with more air flow then injectors size can increase and then step up to another combo, but anything greater than the combo just mention and transmission needs to be considered.
Sorry for going on and on but, I hope this helps everone, and of course this is my opinion, and what I have learned so far with the combos.
So would there be a better reason to go with a stage 2 over a hybrid ?.I am thinking of going with a hybrid
Old 08-20-2012, 09:44 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I honestly dont think (so far anyways) that the Stage 2 will give really any more air than the Hybrid turbo does. For your purposes, I wouldn't go any bigger than 155/30s (maybe 155/50s tops). I think the billet wheel more than makes up for the difference in housing sizes. Again this is my thought so far. Perhaps time and testing will prove otherwise. Hope it helps man.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:26 PM

I guess even the fat bottoms have to have fun every now and then.
I'll agree with these guys, the hybrid or 2 and 155's would be a great all around combo, they work with the pmax pretty good so why not with either of those 2. Nozzle size may be something to dig deeper into, it would suck to get the 30's and find out the 50's would be perfect due to having more pulse width available to play with. Not that you would really notice much difference I wouldn't think.

Way to treat that new motor rob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.