tow tune skips gears? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2012, 04:45 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
tow tune skips gears?

i put my sct on the tow tune my local shop sold me. it shifts for 1st to 2nd really well but holds 2nd till 2700 rpms ( normal driving not trailer) then goes straight to 5th. looks at my gauges with it shifts it shows 3rd for a split second and then 5th. it only flashes 3rd it shifts into 5th so quick. anyone ever had this happen? that is running without the tow haul. also, should i use tow haul with a tow tune?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2012, 07:52 AM
The Silent Service

Sounds like a major issue with the tune itself.

First step, return the truck to stock and see what the transmission does, report back when you can?

What indications do you have with your gauges/monitor?

You shouldn't have to have the truck in tow/haul to get it to shift properly. I use the function anytime I'm on the grades, and keep it on whenever I'm pulling more than 4K.

I think its a tuning issue, which is best solved by getting a custom towing file.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:58 AM

The shop I got t from said it was a custom tune. I am going to return it to stock and will let you know ASAP what it does
Old 07-30-2012, 08:15 AM
Premium Member

Tell them to fix it and ask them if there is anything special for the Tow/Haul mode. For example the tow tune that I have if I hit the Tow/Haul button the turbo acts as a jake brake.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:12 AM

i called the shop and they said there tune does not skip 3rd that i must have a tranny issue. i really dont think that is the problem. i returned my truck to stock and it shifts out like a top. i could not ask it to shift any better. i am running Dashboss moniter, on tow tune it held 2nd till 2700rpms and then shifted hard twice back to back. when i say back to back i mean bambam 5th gear. 3rd blinked so fast on my moniter you almost cant see it. now that i am stock it shifts 1,2,3,5,6, just like it should. after work i am going to put it back on tow and see what it does.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:27 AM
The Silent Service

I advise against running that tune again. You've already isolated it to the tuning, its not worth wrecking the transmission to try it again.

If the shop refuses to re-write the file, its time to look at another tuner to handle your files.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:33 AM

Colo. I would like to start by saying thanks for all the info you give on powerstroke.org. You have a point, I am going to call them back and let them know that stock, street, and max performance it shifts fine that it is only tow tune that it does it. When you say rewrite the the file do you mean rewrite it to my tuner or redo there tune altogether?
Old 07-30-2012, 09:42 AM
The Silent Service

They should re-write the file and resend it to you. You can upload it from there to your SCT.

If you get push back, there are plenty of great tuners for the 6.0L and have good towing files. It may cost a few bucks to get one written from them, but that pales in comparison to the tune you have now tearing something up.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:49 PM

update!!!! after talking to the tune writer he said he would look at my tunes to make sure everthing was wrote right and then email my tunes. i down loaded live load and reinstalled my tunes. my truck shifts much better now. i am puzzled about something, before when tuning my truck it would load the tune and that was it, now when i download a tune to the truck it gives me the option to change parameters. why would it now and not before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.