Build update thread - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2012, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Build update thread

I thought I'd start a new build update thread so I have a single place to talk about the mods I'm doing to my truck as a result of what happened with my tuning session at PHP and my subsequent total fuel pump failure on my trip to upstate NY the following week. So here it begins.

If you have been following then you know I had to buy a replacement ADII DF-165 fuel pump to get home from NY. Since this makes the 3rd DF-165 in 2 years I have decided to make some changes to my fuel system. So today I ordered a Fuelab Prodigy 41402 HP fuel pump and a 51501 FPR. The Prodigy pumps are speed controllable and I had originally planned on using a 52902 electronic FPR which can send a signal to the Prodigy pumps to control pump speed. Well in talking to Fuelab about this that plan went out the window. The 529 series has a single input and a return port. That won't work for my setup. I need to run the FPR in a pass through configuration with a return so I have switched to the 51501 FPR with 2 -10 input ports and a -6 return. This will go in after the 41402 fuel pump but before the engine and function pretty much the same way the oem FPR did.

I will be considering how to control fuel pump speed in the meantime. The Prodigy pumps have a leg which is monitored for voltage and takes a 0v-5v signal. An open signal and the pump runs at 70%, a 5v signal and the pump runs at 100%. If you send id a PWM signal it will vary the pump speed based on dwell time of the PWM input. I am not looking to spend an add'l $350 for Aeromotive's Billet Digital Controller at this point so I will be looking for another way to control the pump. I have a number of ideas that I'll be looking at over the next few days.

I am talking with Mike at No Limit about getting a 6.0 cold side intake tube with 3 bungs welded in. 2 for water/meth nozzles and the 3rd for boost reference. I want the 2 water/meth nozzles to come in from the side and oppose each other and the boost reference to come in from the side facing the firewall. This is pretty much like the setup strokin6L just got accept his port all come in from the bottom. How's that working out for you by the way?

I have also talked with Matt at Cutting Edge about modifying my up pipes to replace the bellows with stainless flex sections and modifying the manifold connections to v-bands to work with the Steed Speed exhaust manifolds. He has a pair of manifolds enroute so as soon as he figures out the changes to the up pipes I will be ordering the new exhaust stuff from him.

I am also planning to get a stage3 velocity ported intake by Matt (soot powered) through Rykan at Holderdown Performance. I am looking at these last 3 mods to make a big difference in spooling the turbo and making power.

My 175/75 injectors will be coming out and going to be inspected, flowed, and converted to 190/30's or 190/50's. I am uncertain whether I will send them back to Ryan Casserly (they are his injectors) or to Jesse Warren to do the work. I will have to make that decision soon though and get that moving.

And of course the MTW stage3 liquid cooled turbo will be going back on. Then we will see what we can make with this thing on the dyno again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2012, 02:45 PM
Let's Run'em

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TwinTurboStroker
Hell yeah, this is going to be sick.......
Old 07-27-2012, 02:52 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
I thought I'd start a new build update thread so I have a single place to talk about the mods I'm doing to my truck as a result of what happened with my tuning session at PHP and my subsequent total fuel pump failure on my trip to upstate NY the following week. So here it begins.

If you have been following then you know I had to buy a replacement ADII DF-165 fuel pump to get home from NY. Since this makes the 3rd DF-165 in 2 years I have decided to make some changes to my fuel system. So today I ordered a Fuelab Prodigy 41402 HP fuel pump and a 51501 FPR. The Prodigy pumps are speed controllable and I had originally planned on using a 52902 electronic FPR which can send a signal to the Prodigy pumps to control pump speed. Well in talking to Fuelab about this that plan went out the window. The 529 series has a single input and a return port. That won't work for my setup. I need to run the FPR in a pass through configuration with a return so I have switched to the 51501 FPR with 2 -10 input ports and a -6 return. This will go in after the 41402 fuel pump but before the engine and function pretty much the same way the oem FPR did.

I will be considering how to control fuel pump speed in the meantime. The Prodigy pumps have a leg which is monitored for voltage and takes a 0v-5v signal. An open signal and the pump runs at 70%, a 5v signal and the pump runs at 100%. If you send id a PWM signal it will vary the pump speed based on dwell time of the PWM input. I am not looking to spend an add'l $350 for Aeromotive's Billet Digital Controller at this point so I will be looking for another way to control the pump. I have a number of ideas that I'll be looking at over the next few days.

I am talking with Mike at No Limit about getting a 6.0 cold side intake tube with 3 bungs welded in. 2 for water/meth nozzles and the 3rd for boost reference. I want the 2 water/meth nozzles to come in from the side and oppose each other and the boost reference to come in from the side facing the firewall. This is pretty much like the setup strokin6L just got accept his port all come in from the bottom. How's that working out for you by the way?

I have also talked with Matt at Cutting Edge about modifying my up pipes to replace the bellows with stainless flex sections and modifying the manifold connections to v-bands to work with the Steed Speed exhaust manifolds. He has a pair of manifolds enroute so as soon as he figures out the changes to the up pipes I will be ordering the new exhaust stuff from him.

I am also planning to get a stage3 velocity ported intake by Matt (soot powered) through Rykan at Holderdown Performance. I am looking at these last 3 mods to make a big difference in spooling the turbo and making power.

My 175/75 injectors will be coming out and going to be inspected, flowed, and converted to 190/30's or 190/50's. I am uncertain whether I will send them back to Ryan Casserly (they are his injectors) or to Jesse Warren to do the work. I will have to make that decision soon though and get that moving.

And of course the MTW stage3 liquid cooled turbo will be going back on. Then we will see what we can make with this thing on the dyno again.
Is that because of the vegi-stroke setup or the design of the 6.0L fuel system?
Old 07-27-2012, 02:56 PM
The Silent Service

Well, nothing like a little trial pains to get the mind flowing.

Sounds like an impressive undertaking. I'm interested in seeing how your manifold and exhaust changes aid in that turbo. I'm starting to consider a similar setup for my own build.

Good luck with the fuel system as well, haven't read of anyone trying something like this yet.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:37 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I like the idea of this thread. I think I will do the same for my truck as I have done a real transformation over the last year with a lot of different mods that I can update.

I'm also very excited for you Mitch. It really sounds like your gonna have a screamin truck when your done. I'll follow along for sure. Best of luck man.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:08 PM
Premium Member

I've subbed to this one. Thank you for the info.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks guys, I think it'll be pretty cool when I get done with it. I'm looking forward to getting the new goodies on board. I'll be ripping into the truck tomorrow. Cliff (Wldhrse) is coming down in the morning and we are going to put his Sinister EGR Delete and my Powermax on his truck so he can send his turbo to Adrian for a Stage 1 conversion. While pulling my turbo I will go ahead and pull the intake manifold as well. Then I'll be ready to send off the intake to Matt for porting and my Y pipe to the other Matt for the mods for the Steed Speed manifolds. If I have time I'll get the injectors yanked out too and send them off too.

Coastie, I replied to your PM. For everyone elses benefit, to answer his question the reason I switched from the 529 series regulator to the 515 is because my Vegistroke feeds in through the rear head ports so I can't use them for the return. That dictates I have to do a pre-engine RR setup like Ford chose to do. The trickle down from that decision is that I have to use the FPR in a flow through configuration and that isn't possible with the 529 series. It only has 1 input and 1 return so no flow through. That dictated the change to the 51501 with 2 inputs and 1 return so I can use the 2 inputs as a flow through, in one out the other with the HP line to the engine. And Ben, I haven't heard about anyone with a fuel setup like this either. Sometimes you just have to be different.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by techtulsa View Post
I've subbed to this one. Thank you for the info.
Really sorry to hear about your son. I'm sure I would be devastated if that happened to one of my daughters. My sympathy goes out to you man.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

so what is the purpose of opposing the water/meth ports instead of in a line like almost everyone runs? I have a bit of a large project brewing but not for a long time but have been looking into manifolds as well
Old 07-28-2012, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokedoutlaw View Post
so what is the purpose of opposing the water/meth ports instead of in a line like almost everyone runs? I have a bit of a large project brewing but not for a long time but have been looking into manifolds as well
My setup is not a 2 stage but a boost referenced progressive setup. I will be running fairly small nozzles for better atomization and that's the way I want to do it. They will be slightly offset fore and aft for a more complete coverage of the intake tract. Will it matter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.