Airdog II 165 problem!!! Again... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2012, 12:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry Airdog II 165 problem!!! Again...

I know theres about 2 million post of this on here but....well, I dont know where to start...This pump my brother (rdunagan) had on his white 06 CCLB dually, and long story short, he went through 2 pumps alone on that truck due to not holding fuel pressure, so they sent him gears,and a motor, at least once. When he sold it he took off the newest one he had on there, so it sat for almost 8 months before we swapped it into my truck, and the thing ran great for almost 4-5 months. I just got off the phone with Airdogs tech and the 1 year warranty ran out about 2 months ago and apparently lost Ross' lifetime warranty card... so my question to the org is that should I buy Airdog's replacement at $219 and risk another pump in a year or so or put my money into another pump? Any imput is appreciated! Looking into Aeromotive, or FASS or anything else for that matter. we have already put tons of money into this pump and dont have the money to put into it every year nor the time to replace them every year or less when they burn out. Okay, off my soap box...I know Airdog is a sponsor on here, so we'll see how this goes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2012, 12:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Have you looked into the Fuel Lab pumps at all? I am going to have my AirdogII feed this baby http://fuelab.com/prodigy-fuel-pumps...cy-efi-in-line
I'll be able to turn my psi down on the AirdogII and hopefully it wont ever fail. This idea was brought to me by PvtGreen. He'll probably chime in if he sees this thread.

Last edited by Tmoney511; 07-25-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

well we would rather not have the airdog on there at all. i do like that pump though. ive got word that they are going to come out with a pump like the airdog and fass but better quality
Old 07-25-2012, 01:21 PM

They are? I mean you could always get the AD150 to feed the stock pump but if Fuel Lab is coming out with something the the ADII than maybe wait? If you draw out everything you need for the Fuel Lab I would go that route. There are some threads on it if you look around. My ADII failed on me after two weeks of owning it. I was rather pissed off...
Old 07-25-2012, 01:36 PM

I just had an AD165 installed now I'm biting my nails.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:46 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by reidunagan04 View Post
... ive got word that they are going to come out with a pump like the airdog and fass but better quality
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmoney511 View Post
They are? I mean you could always get the AD150 to feed the stock pump but if Fuel Lab is coming out with something the the ADII than maybe wait? If you draw out everything you need for the Fuel Lab I would go that route. There are some threads on it if you look around. My ADII failed on me after two weeks of owning it. I was rather pissed off...
Yes Fuelab is coming out with a system that would act very much like the AD2 in that it is a high pressure/lift pumping unit that also removes entrained air like the Airdog/FASS units.

I personally would not drop the $219 for the AD2 but would instead build the system from the ground up if you can aford it, which would include a sump, AD150, and either A1000 or Fuelab 41401 or 41402 all with new lines that tied into a RR kit at the motor and deleted the Fuel bowl.

If you can't, I would recommend setting something up with a Fuelab pump that draws from a sump and goes water separator to pump to 2 micron filter to the motor. It has been proven to work.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrunner408 View Post
Yes Fuelab is coming out with a system that would act very much like the AD2 in that it is a high pressure/lift pumping unit that also removes entrained air like the Airdog/FASS units.

I personally would not drop the $219 for the AD2 but would instead build the system from the ground up if you can aford it, which would include a sump, AD150, and either A1000 or Fuelab 41401 or 41402 all with new lines that tied into a RR kit at the motor and deleted the Fuel bowl.

If you can't, I would recommend setting something up with a Fuelab pump that draws from a sump and goes water separator to pump to 2 micron filter to the motor. It has been proven to work.

Hope this helps.
Everything he said is spot on. That's the route I'd do if I were you.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

okay fuelab only puts out 45psi of fuel pressure, what do you recommend there, seriously thinking about that route! Also I have a TSD fuel sump with 1/2 fuel lines. Id rather not delete the fuel bowl, because Id have no way to mount my RR, and if I ever decide to sell the truck, its not the best looking thing! lol but yall are doing great, keep em coming!
Old 07-25-2012, 03:18 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The Fuelab puts out more than only 45psi. What you are seeing is the flowrate that the pump is rated for at 45psi. Look at the graph they give to see what the flowrate is at 60psi.

You dont need to delete the fuel bowl but you will need to up your fuel line size from the tank to the pump to 5/8in (10AN) to keep up with the increased flow.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Fuel lab is capable of 12- psi. For $219 I'd replace the Airdog and use it as a lift pump to supply a Fuelab 41402. I found that online for $379. Fuelabmakes a 529 series regulator with electrobic control for these pumps which will basically make it an on demand pump and slow it down when the demand isn't there. That is how I will be reworking my system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.