Custom Tune Suggestions......... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2012, 12:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Custom Tune Suggestions.........

Ok guys, getting ready to pull the trigger and get a SCT with some custom tunes ordered... Ive slowly got a few things done that needed to be BEFORE tuning...

Bought the truck bone stock a few weeks ago, and so far this is what I've done.

05 6.0 130k mile (Avg 9.8MPG as of now) (Stock TTY headbolts) (Dealer installed brand new FICM before I bought it) Truck is very strong, all injectors working perfectly. Previous owner never had a single issue with heads,EGR cooler failure,turbo etc. or warranty claim since the truck was bought new. Batteries, Alternator, and FICM is all its had replaced.

EGR Delete
4" MBRP Turbo back exhaust (no cat, no muffler)
Updated STC HPOP fitting
New Oil cooler
Blue spring upgrade
Coolant flush
Coolant bypass filter
Edge Insight CTS (All readings DEAD ON from specs i've read on here)
6" Lift on 35's

MY GOAL...........

I Understand I am running a non studded truck...It will stay that way until for some reason the gaskets blow....
I do not want a drag truck. I do punch it from time to time from a stop light. But don't do any drag racing or extended WOT runs. I want reliable power, with fuel mileage gains. The heaviest I will tow is a 4k lbs boat (Rarely)

I mainly want the tuner to tune the tranny shifts. I want to firm them up. But wont mind having a few extra ponies. Im pretty impressed with IDP's reviews, and believe I will be going with them for my tunes. I also plan on getting the FICM tuner also.

Im looking for a tune for everyday driving with decent fuel economy,quick firm shifts, with the ability to occasionally ruin the rice burners day leaving a stop light.

What would you guys suggest? 60hp? 100hp? I am not familiar with the differences in Street, Xtreme street, Aggressive st, etc.

I also hear that " Economy Tunes" are a waste of money, because best fuel mileage comes from the highest HP tunes, but keeping your foot out of it.

Opinions or suggestions on what to do, not to do would be great. Self control is not an issue, I dont plan on blowing the heads off it anytime soon. But I understand things do happen...lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2012, 12:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
nice looking rig. i can vouch for the higher hp tunes getting better mileage. with my srl tune i am getting 17 - 18 mpg mixed driving and have gotten 21 mpg on the interstate running 70 in the winter down in mississippi going back and forth to work before i moved to montana. I was getting around 11- 12 mpg stock tune. all of these numbers are hand calculated and that is with 8in lift and 38.5 tires at 60psi in each tire. have not had my foot out of the pedal long enough to get good numbers with my new mtw turbo but it may be a little better if i can ever stop hauling a**, it is just so much fun to drive and drive fast. while towing 8k from mississippi to montana with my tow tune i averaged 14mpg. just some info for ya to consider.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:55 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You may want to give Chris at Truck Source Diesel a shout. His tunes get great reviews and I have one on order from him now.

My looney tune isnt quite right, the truck has good power but the tranny shifting isnt quite right. Chris is going to make me a tune and is confident I will LOVE the tranny shifting in his tunes. He has non-studded tunes available and seems really knowledgable on the phone, nice guy as well. Vivian was good to work with too, just couldnt get where I wanted to go.

Another Chris is going to do for me is progressive fueling which, from what I gather, make his powerband a bunch smoother. The looney kicks on full blast after about 2K rpm, below that on my truck it doesnt have anything over stock and has a little lag.

Todd
Old 07-25-2012, 01:55 PM

I don't want to steer you away from getting an sct but from my experience with three different 6.0's its not a matter of if your head gaskets blow its a matter of when they blow. Something to think about once the mod bug bites you just from feeling the power of a street tune and wanting more. I didn't want a drag truck either!

You can blow head gaskets on a bone stock truck, driving normally.

The truck I'm driving now did not have a single warranty claim on it since the day it was built. 100k miles of problem free driving, the previous trucks had 60k miles free of warranty claims for the exception of egr valve and power steering pump. Small stuff. So that doesn't mean anything to me. Once I got ahold of them and started modding these trucks, exhaust and sct they all were plagued with problems. I've always bought the best performance parts and used the top name tune writers. I've spent more in repairs on the truck I'm driving now than what I paid for it, and I hardly get to drive it because it always in the shop. Reliable power is going to take a lot of time and money in my opinion. I love my 6.0's (not sure why!) that's why I keep buying them.

Don't want to start a war here but consider your $400 for an sct with custom tunes your initiation fee to the club! Your coolant flush, filter and egr delete are a great start. I wouldn't bother with economy tunes. I think your best mileage will be gotten with a high hp tune and a light foot.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:26 PM
The Silent Service

With your power goals, and the fact you are still under stock TTY bolts, here's what I recommend:

FICM tuning, stay with PHP's economy, or IDP's mild tune, both in the neighborhood of +25hp over stock. No need to push power with the FICM tunes, and the lower power files will match up better with the SCT files.

SCT tuning via say X3, run IDPs files - these siliar to what I run.
-X-race (normally a 425rwhp file for studs) written down a bit for stock bolts, this is the firmest shifting file I've run and I really like it.
-Street file (around 380RWHP) as a safer DD type of tune if you are not wanting to push the bolts at all. You can also tow light with this file.
-Tow (around 310RWHP) allowing you to tow heavy (used any time the load is over 8k).

You must understand, with any file there is risk. I see the best mileage with X-Race (14% over stock on the interstate)

An alternative, should you want to chance it, would be to do a 1 for 1 stud swap. Cuts down the cost of HGs, but doesn't afford you the chance to check the heads. Some have issues, and some folks it works out ok.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:55 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys....

I am thinking very hard about which way to go. At first I was convinced I was just going to do the mild FICM tune, to gain the power and fuel mileage back the early 6.0s had, and run the SCT X3 just for trans tuning only. But if I spend that kind of money on a tuner I want to atleast get better MPG and a little more pep out of it. Decisions decisions.....lol

Running the heavy wheels and 35's, I can tell a MAJOR difference in engine strain and acceleration, like im pulling a trailer full time. Is it smart just to get a mild tow tune and run it for my DD tune? Or is that unnecessary? I know on my old 7.3 running 40's I had to do that to keep a tranny in it, but then again these 6.0 trannies are AMAZING compared to the ones in the 7.3's.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:10 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Eric has GREAT tunes.

I would get PHP's FICM tuner that has 4 FICM tunes on it and doubles as a monitor so you can use the other tunes later down the road.

For the ECU tunes, I REALLY like Eric's Xtreme X and Xtreme Street tunes as daily drivers. I can tell that the Xtreme X has slightly more power but the Xtreme Street is still a GREAT tune.

Hope this helps. Take care.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:35 PM

I am currently running Erics Extreme Street. It is a 160 hp gain. I love it. I took 5% off his firm shift options, only in the 1-2 and 2-3 shift cause I wanted it alittle softer, not that it was a neck breaker, just have my own likes and dislikes, as do we all. Other than that, its perfect!! Great throttle response and Very little smoke. Truck is not studded, but I plan on doing that around tax time next year!! Ill check my coolant pressure with the hero gauge, if no leak I will do a 1 for 1 swap with and EGR delete, coolant flush, oil cooler, coolant filter and some others that I have been told about. Ill get it all done at once!! BTW nice ride!!
Old 07-25-2012, 05:18 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i am in the same boat, mine is an 04 with 65000, i have purchased a scangauge and all seems spot on. i want to tune it for the mileage, but i know my last go with my dodge......

what does everyone think of the 1 for 1 stud swap before tuning.... only thing left for me to do is coolant flush and add a fliter.

all input is greatly welcomed.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:32 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

You dont have to do the 1 for 1 swap before tuning but it isnt a bad idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.