Coolant swap- chemical flush if OCT/EOT delta is minimal? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2012, 10:37 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant swap- chemical flush if OCT/EOT delta is minimal?

Okay-

my oil and coolant temps never stray more than 5* as things are right now with the factory coolant in there.... SO, moving forward-

Why not drain the system, and flush a couple times w/water, then go back with ELC and a coolant filter? It would seem that chemical flushes seem to always end up dislodging tons of crap and clogging coolers. Is this necessary? Tell me what I'm missing.

Greg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2012, 04:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Exactly what I did to mine. If anything, the eot/ect delta dropped by a degree or two. No signs of any issues, very happy with the way it all ended up. Many others have had success with this method, and I have never heard of any problem developing as a result. Can't say the same for the aggressive chemical flush approach. A couple threads:

Coolant flush question

Really Confused on Engine Flushing
Old 07-25-2012, 06:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I done the aggresive chemical approach! I flushed and flushed and flushed before new oil cooler and swap tp ELC! I have to backflush about once a week to keep deltas in check! I have a filter on and it is catching tons of stuff! So i just reverse flush once a week and change the filter after 500 miles!

I would just flush it with tap water till it came clear then flush it with distilled about 4 times, then fill back with ELC!
Old 07-25-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy650 View Post

I would just flush it with tap water till it came clear then flush it with distilled about 4 times, then fill back with ELC!
THIS!

Just be sure to flush via the lower rad hose and if you can drain the block plugs at a minimum the drivers side.

D
Old 07-25-2012, 07:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Fumoto valves in the block drains makes this all much easier. F-108N, and about 2' of 3/8" diameter hose. Not really necessary on the driver's side, but pulling the starter once is plenty for me.

I removed the thermostat and ran 20+ gal. of distilled through it, running the engine for 5-10 minutes to circulate, then drain and repeat. Would have used the hose first but didn't have enough buckets. It was surprising, at every drain, how much darker the first part out of the block drains was compared to the later part. There really appears to be very little flow and mixing in the bottom part of the cylinder jackets. In my opinion getting the block rinsed out well, along with everything else, is much more important than worrying about chemical flushing agents. These have a place and a purpose, but (again IMO) are best reserved for extreme cases where they are really needed - and are NOT necessary for a straightforward G-05 to EC-1 switch.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:09 AM

I am in the same boat.
My truck has had a coolant filter on for two years, my deltas are less than 5-7*.
So I think I will just water flush it this fall and add EC-1.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:51 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The reason for the chemical flush is to prepare the engine for the ELC which has a chemical make up that is different from the G-05. These coolants coat the internal parts with a boundry layer to protect internal parts from cavitation damage. The ELC needs to build its own boundry layer. The chemical flush removes the G-05 layer and prepares the internal surfaces for the new ELC layer. Just doing a water flush does nothing about the boundry layer so the ELC must eat away at the G-05 layer before it can build up its own layer. That G-05 contaminates the ELC compromising its useful life span so be prepared to flush the ELC again in a couple of years and add fresh coolant. Also if flushing with tap water it takes 24 gals of distilled water to bring the tap water concentration down below 1.5%.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:47 AM

Ah. I get the ELC gratis so changing it out after a year or so isn't so bad for me. Apparently the dreaded silicate deposits are what the flush chemicals purge out of the system, and by doing so what happens over a period of time to the oil cooler...happens real fast. The IPR remote oil cooler keeps looking better and better...

Something in the tap water the coolant additive package can't inhibit? Concerns about minerals, scale, that sort of thing?
Old 07-26-2012, 04:48 AM

Some cat literature..

http://www.finning.ca/Products/Parts...torCoolant.pdf

Parts - Focus On Fluids: Coolant - CatŪ Electric Power Advisor
Old 07-26-2012, 06:59 AM
Premium Member

I'm new here to the 6.0 I see hundreds of 3 letter acronyms and get lost fast in these threads. My new truck has had the "bullet proof" kit installed at Diesel Tech. They still use the Ford Gold coolant. What's the stuff I should be using? I am considering a flush and coolant change. Not sure about the chemical flush... Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.