New Air Filter - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2012, 05:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to bwmtnbiker
New Air Filter

Yes I know the stock Air Filter is the best up to 500hp.

My stock filter is about clogged up and I need to do something. I don't want to put a stock filter back in because it seems very restrictive. I have a few questions about what product to get. I know that making the pathway less restrictive and using a higher quality filter will allow the for a much greater air flow. The ability to draw air faster and smoother can never be a bad thing in my opinion.

That being said, what would be the best option. Im currently looking at Airaid kits because they have a $50 mail in rebate right now.

What is the difference between the two filter kits here:
Airaid Intake System 400-131-1
Airaid SynthaMax Dry Filter Intake System 401-131-1

Or would I see the same effects from using just the drop in filter?
Airaid OEM Drop-In Replacement Filter 860-341
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2012, 05:48 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I like them both, where did you get this info on the $50 mail in rebate. Are either of them washable?
Old 07-24-2012, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwatts View Post
I like them both, where did you get this info on the $50 mail in rebate. Are either of them washable?
You like both as in stock and a new kit or kit and drop in filter?

One of the XDP reps posted it yesterday. Here is a direct link
Xtreme Diesel Performance - XDP Diesel Power Performance Parts - Search
Old 07-24-2012, 07:19 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm sorry I like both of the intake kits you posted, I've been told not to go with the drop in filter if your looking for HP
Old 07-24-2012, 09:08 AM

I believe people on here have found that aftermarket intakes add up to 20hp over the stock intake. I believe the guys that tested this on the dyno feel that the stock filter was restrictive after 400hp I believe but what do I know lol. Just because the stock filter "can" support up to 500hp doesn't mean it's the best up to 500hp. I have the airaid and it's fantastic btw.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwatts View Post
I'm sorry I like both of the intake kits you posted, I've been told not to go with the drop in filter if your looking for HP
Im not to terribly concerned about HP numbers. Just looking to get a better flow because it makes things more efficient. I think some of the filters are cleanable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amfw119 View Post
I believe people on here have found that aftermarket intakes add up to 20hp over the stock intake. I believe the guys that tested this on the dyno feel that the stock filter was restrictive after 400hp I believe but what do I know lol. Just because the stock filter "can" support up to 500hp doesn't mean it's the best up to 500hp. I have the airaid and it's fantastic btw.
I mean it makes sense. You increase air flow and what happens? More power or at least a quicker delivery of air. If you look at your turbo wheel, is it gunked up or look like its been sand blasted? Is there any dirt after the filter?
Old 07-24-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amfw119 View Post
well said, depending on what I'm doing with the truck I use a stock setup or a Banks setup ( which I like the fit and finish).
Old 07-24-2012, 10:26 AM
The Silent Service

Its all relative in what you want out of the truck. To me, I'd rather have the filtration and protection of the stock air filter, that is proven to 500RWHP. Multiple trucks have proven that number. Think about that power gain for a moment, its 20HP rather high on the RPM band, beyond what you will most likely see on a daily basis. You will see improvement in throttle response and spooling, but its at a cost.

If I was to select an aftermarket system for my truck, it would be the intake offered by S&B. Great numbers being seen on the dyno and track, and still offering good filtration.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:14 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I too am a fan of S&B. It is cheap, great looking, filters really good, and flows close to 40% more than stock at like 99% the filtering of the stock filter. The only real down side that I can tell is that it only holds about 10% of the dirt that the stock filter can hold so it has to be changed much more frequently (~once per year).
Old 07-24-2012, 11:26 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by windrunner408 View Post
I too am a fan of S&B. It is cheap, great looking, filters really good, and flows close to 40% more than stock at like 99% the filtering of the stock filter. The only real down side that I can tell is that it only holds about 10% of the dirt that the stock filter can hold so it has to be changed much more frequently (~once per year).
I ran both and while the S&B installed quick and was easy to clean, it was a PAIN because I had to pull it out and clean it about once a week during the winter months (dune season). I don't mind doing my maintenance on my truck, but that was quite ridiculous. I went back to the stock setup and now I pull my filter out to knock some dirt out of it at each oil change. I MAY go back to the S&B setup now that I'm running the MTW Stage 1 turbo...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.