Can't Remove My Cat. Stuck! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2012, 09:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Can't Remove My Cat. Stuck!

Hey guys, newbie here. I'm the guy who's been reading and reading threads for months now, but has only now decided to join the discussion. I've definitely learned a lot from reading on this forum already, but I'm having a hell of a time with one specific thing that I can't find anywhere else.

I have an '07 F350 6.0 PSD. I'm doing a cat delete on the stock pipe. Now I'm really stuck with removing the original cat. All bolts and clamps are disconnected already, but the "slide in" part (the side closest to the muffler) is stuck. Beyond belief. I can't even make it budge. The front of the cat (closest to the downpipe) is fully disconnected and has room to move. But like I said, the other side is impossibly stuck. I have no clue how to get it off.

Please help me here. I want to have this all done in the next 24 hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2012, 09:29 PM

Got any wd 40 or on blaster or any lube spray it take small piece of wood lay against it and beat wood with hammer it will come out just got beat it like it owes u money

Last edited by kingranch250; 07-23-2012 at 09:36 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:34 AM

Sometime I take a grinder and cut little lines in the out pipe should make it let go

Sent from the moon
Old 07-24-2012, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingranch250 View Post
Got any wd 40 or on blaster or any lube spray it take small piece of wood lay against it and beat wood with hammer it will come out just got beat it like it owes u money
Well I covered it in lube and rust spray a few times now. Some last night. And once again this morning before I left for work (where I am now). Which way does this wood get placed? Just lay it flat against the stuck part and hit it perpendicular to the direction I need the cat to slide out? Or do I lay the wood some other way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by risco View Post
Sometime I take a grinder and cut little lines in the out pipe should make it let go
So you cut lines in the outpipe? Which is the pipe that will stay functional in the truck after the delete pipe is installed? Won't the lines in it hurt its functionality once I have the cat delete hooked up to it? I'm new at this, so I really don't know. Just trying to think of all the possible outcomes lol.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

You jus gotta hold the muffler still and put the piece off wood on the back of the cat and pound it out with a hammer

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app
Old 07-24-2012, 07:21 AM

I used a rubber hammer to beat on mine. It was tough to get out.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sxr212 View Post
You jus gotta hold the muffler still and put the piece off wood on the back of the cat and pound it out with a hammer
I'll give it a try when I'm home. I'm still new to working on my own vehicle, so I'll see what happens. I hope I can smash/wrestle the thing out of there tonight. I'll have about 4-5 hours tonight to try to finish the whole job.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM_C View Post
I used a rubber hammer to beat on mine. It was tough to get out.
So you just hit it directly at the connection? Just banged on the side of it until it loosened up?
Old 07-24-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans89 View Post
So you just hit it directly at the connection? Just banged on the side of it until it loosened up?
Tap on it at the connection to break it loose. Beat on the cat itself in the direction opposite the muffler to get it out. It's a glancing blow because the cat is angled on the ends but that's the way it is. I recall mine was a real [female dog].
Old 07-24-2012, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM_C View Post
Tap on it at the connection to break it loose. Beat on the cat itself in the direction opposite the muffler to get it out. It's a glancing blow because the cat is angled on the ends but that's the way it is. I recall mine was a real [female dog].
Ah alright. I'll give that a try tonight. I was worried about denting/damaging the cat if I hammer it too hard, just in case I ever need it again. I'll try hitting it harder. Hope this works! I'll post back when I get some progress lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cat, delete, downpipe, exhaust, muffler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.