increased egt with the powermax - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2012, 11:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
increased egt with the powermax

All right people,
I'm looking for some help. Even though i've been a 6.0 owner for 8 years now (Same truck bought new), i am just finally getting to be a member on this forum. The truck has low miles on it and is considered my good vehicle so i have looked after it. It was determined that the oil cooler was plugged last year so the decision was made to get into it. At this point we did ARP's, oil cooler, EGR delete, ITP regulated return kit, coolant filtration, exhaust,Edge Insight CTS and SCT canned tunes. I was quite happy with this setup since the truck had a fair amount of performance and was actually running quite cool on the EGT's and was giving me good fuel economy with a gain of around 100 miles per tank. Crusing down a flat road empty around 70 mph i seemed to run under 600 degrees.
Then i wanted cooler and started reading up on BD's Intercooler which promised 150 degrees less in EGT and i put on in. Well the opposite happened. EGT"S went up a bit. It seamed i had lost about 3 to 4 psi of boost up top. Then i bought a Powermax and put it in and again the EGT's went up and at this point my fuel economy took a drastic turn to the worse. Boost is maximum 26 lbs but i do see an increase in Mass Air Flow which would make one think it should run cooler!? I lost 120 miles per tank maybe even a bit more and my EGT's went up by around 300 degrees which now also brought up engine temps. Oil temp's up from just under 190 to 200+ and the same goes for the coolant temps. Crusing down the same road now the EGT's are in the high 800s. What can i do to regain my fuel millage and get the EGT's under control? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2012, 12:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

before doing much more you should give truck source diesel a call and have chris write you a custom tune, hes pretty much the best when tuning for the powermax turbo, plus a custom tune will be so much better than the canned
Old 07-22-2012, 01:24 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Pmax will run hotter cruising down the highway. Its a larger turbo than stock so it needs higher rpms to see a gain. Up to it runs cooler than the stocker.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:03 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
you need some custom tunes for that powermax to operate how it should
Old 07-22-2012, 04:26 PM

For me when I added the powermax even with PM based tunes it was worse than the stocker, crusing egt's were a little higher, WOT egts where only a little lower, throttle response was worse and it smoked worse. Once I added the Banks Technic cooler setup W/ piping crusing egts are the same to less depending on speed, WOT egts are around 150-200 less throttle response is better than stock, Also no smoke when WOT and only a little when you smash the gogo peddle that clears up real quick... Hand calculated with the stuff in my sig with the aggressive street tune I get 21mpg hwy. Max boost is around 28psi during WOT give or take 1psi depending on gear and speed. In the end for my truck the ticket that made it work was the banks intercooler kit.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:40 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by scparrish View Post
YEP YOUR CORRECT
Old 07-22-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scparrish View Post
yea they help get it in the working range.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:22 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
tunes help a bunch, but that turbo is better suited to 155-175 injectors. I tried the tunes with stock sticks and couldn't tell much difference other than shifting(had gearhead, tsd, and idp) the thing just cruises hotter, won't hurt anything.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg85 View Post
I tried the tunes with stock sticks and couldn't tell much difference other than shifting(had gearhead, tsd, and idp) the thing just cruises hotter, won't hurt anything.
I have to agree with this until I added the Banks intercooler setup. Now I don't know how the banks intercooler setup would have worked with the stock turbo but maybe someday I'll test that and see. I have stock sticks and what I noticed with the stock turbo is it would lay down in the upper rpms. Now with the pmax, banks intercooler and banks CAI it has pretty much the same bottom end but I don't notice the truck laying down in the upper rpms. I have to say even with stock sticks and supporting mods it works good IMO. I do fell like 155s would work better with a pmax than a stocker. this is just my experiance from my truck though.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks to all who replied. I am getting the truck back from my trusty local diesel shop who has done all the work on it so far tomorrow. I'll be getting it back with Inovativ custom tunes and a new 5" Magna Flow exhaust. The MBRP I had on it only had a 3.5" pipe from the turbo to the Muffler Inlet. The Magna Flow comes right of the turbo with a 4" so i hope it'll help the EGT's. I'll let you guys know what i find.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.