IDP FICM tuner and my story associated with it - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2012, 09:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
IDP FICM tuner and my story associated with it

So I ordered IDP's FICM tuner before the 4th of July so it would show up while I had some time off of work to mess with it. I bought the whole tuner to keep. It showed up and I tuned my FICM. There was definitely a noticeable difference in power running it with the SRL. It had more low end throttle response and more smooth, linear power throughout the whole RPM range. I was impressed greatly.

Well, the truck had been very smokey lately and knowing how the SRL is, it was way to much smoke. So I investigated on my time off. The drivers side up pipe flex joint was leaking. I proceeded to tear it all apart and cut out the bellow and welded in a piece of flex pipe I got at the auto parts store. Couldn't get it to line back up for the life of me and it was Sunday and I had to be back on the pipeline Monday morning.

Parked the truck, drove the TDI around the right-of-way for a week. Ordered a y-pipe from Tousely Ford and put it on the next Saturday evening after getting back home from work. Truck is now amazing. Boosts very quickly like it should, pulls harder throughout the whole rpm range, smoother, better throttle response and better mileage.

I also now knew I had some stiction going on. The FICM tune uncovered it. Thank you Ford for masking problems with tuning until they are so bad you can't affordably fix it. I went out and got some T6 and changed the oil (always ran plain 15w 40). Still had slight stiction. Ordered some Archoil9100, added it, and no more stiction. T6 is definitely worth it too. So much smoother and quieter idle, and easier starting.

I drive about 1000 miles a week following the pipelines around north central PA and have got 21.2 mpg two separate times on the same trip into work and back to where I stay during the week. 17 mpg the one time and 15 mpg another time after letting the truck idle a lot to run the AC while I sat in it most of the day.

Anyways, I am definitely impressed with IDP's FICM tune. I bought it because it was cheaper and I really didn't foresee myself changing FICM tunes all the time like I could have done with PHP's. I figured I would just stick with one all the time making the rest I paid the extra for useless. It's worth it for those looking at IDP vs PHP.

So, to sum it up, T6, FICM tune, non leaking up pipe, all combined equals more power, better mileage, and a 6.0 that is even more fun to drive. IDP tune did what they said it would.

Oh, and I'm getting that good of mileage rolling around leveled on 305/70s. I drive slow, no faster than 65 highway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2012, 07:18 PM
The Silent Service

Which IDP file is on your tuner?

Glad its proven successful for you.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:09 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Hey sorry for the hijack but I got an SA 200 and mt 210 long barrel for sale in Carrollton Ohio about 45-50 mins west of Pittsburgh if you know anyone looking for a back up machine or a new torch.

Back to your normal programming.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany View Post
Hey sorry for the hijack but I got an SA 200 and mt 210 long barrel for sale in Carrollton Ohio about 45-50 mins west of Pittsburgh if you know anyone looking for a back up machine or a new torch.

Back to your normal programming.
Why in the h e double hockey stick would you just pick a thread at random and post that in here?! You realize forum has a for sale area don't you? Can't stand hijackers!

OP......I went with swamps 58v FICM with 40hp tune and have been very satisfied so far. Great to hear the kind of mileage your getting. I have gotten a best of 19 on the highway, 70mph, with SRL.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by badyota82 View Post
Why in the h e double hockey stick would you just pick a thread at random and post that in here?! You realize forum has a for sale area don't you? Can't stand hijackers!

OP......I went with swamps 58v FICM with 40hp tune and have been very satisfied so far. Great to hear the kind of mileage your getting. I have gotten a best of 19 on the highway, 70mph, with SRL.
Well if you had any clue as to what a long barrel or an SA 200 is then you would know but since you don't I'll clue you in. An SA 200 is a pipeline welding machine for pipeline rigs like the OP runs. And a mt 210 long barrel is a machine torch used in a pipe beveling machine for pipeline welders to prepare the pipe to be welded. He is a pipeliner that's why I said what I did. Don't get your panties in a bunch.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:45 PM

Well sorry for jumping in, I am a welder myself, am familiar with the equipment, however I didn't know you knew the OP personally, and I don't, so I didn't know the situation, and honestly, i missed the part about the pipeline in his post. I don't like high jackers, see it way to often on here, but in this case, I now understand.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:53 PM
Banned

I don't know him personally. And I understand your frustration. And I apologize for any inconvenience in the thread it's just I just got out of pipelining and I know most guys keep a back up machine incase theirs goes down on the job. So I was just throwing it out there for him and if he wanted to get back to me then he could do so how he sees fit. That's all again sorry for the hijack I just thought I might be able to help out a fellow forum member that's all.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:06 AM

Thanks for asking but no. I'm actually an inspector out there.

I'm running IDPs "moderate" tune for the FICM.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany View Post
I don't know him personally. And I understand your frustration. And I apologize for any inconvenience in the thread it's just I just got out of pipelining and I know most guys keep a back up machine incase theirs goes down on the job. So I was just throwing it out there for him and if he wanted to get back to me then he could do so how he sees fit. That's all again sorry for the hijack I just thought I might be able to help out a fellow forum member that's all.
It would have been better to PM him rather than taking this thread off of it's topic for something like that.

Just say'in
Old 07-23-2012, 10:08 AM
The Silent Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars5147 View Post
Thanks for asking but no. I'm actually an inspector out there.

I'm running IDPs "moderate" tune for the FICM.
The moderate file is a +40HP tune, if I'm not mistaken.

I noticed you have this matched with SRL, what are you seeing for Fuel Pressure and EGT's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.