Gauges - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2012, 09:43 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gauges

I am looking to buy gauges. A egt a coolant temp and oil temp to start. What temp range should I get for each one? I will be adding more down the line but this is a good start correct. Thanks josh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2012, 09:57 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Everyone's opinions will be different for the egt but I went with glowshift gauges and got the 2400* pyro and 0-300* oil temp (don't have the coolant temp but would get the same range for it as well) or you could simply buy the edge insight cs or cts to monitor everything for 400 new and just get the EAS egt add on.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:08 AM

Edge insight cts easiest and most cost effective get the starter kit with egt probe .

BOOM
Old 07-20-2012, 10:23 AM

I like the gauge look so I'm looking for temp ranges to get right ones
Old 07-20-2012, 10:50 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I truly understand liking the look of gauges but in all honesty (after having owned both) the only way that I would install a stand alone gauge that couldn't be switched to monitor anything else, is for monitoring VERY important parameters that will tell you either you have something wrong (a failure of something occured and the truck needs to be shut off immediately to prevent further damage) when the parameter changes by a reasonable amount or a parameter that fluctuates over a wide range that may lead to a failure if not kept within check (i.e. EGTs). I find that installing temperature guages (other than EGTs) is a complete waste of a gauge pod and unless you can stick them in the same spot as the OEM sensor then your readings arent worth sh!t because if they differ (and they probably will) you wont know which gauge is off.

IMO, I would only install the following as gauges and then monitor the rest of my stuff with a monitoring device: EGTs, Fuel Pressure, Actual Oil Pressure (the OEM guage is a dummy switch that reads "normal" at anything greater than like 7psi of oil pressure), Boost Pressure, and then if you really wanted to you could add in HPO Pressure, transmission line pressure, coolant system pressure. If you get a decent change (>10-15psi once at normal operating temperature) in any of these pressure parameters then you most definitely have a problem. JMO on gauges and hope it helps.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:34 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
If you have a iTouch/iPhone/iPad, you can monitor everything with DashBoss. This includes external readings like EGT and Fuel Psi. Total cost of DashBoss including EGT and Fuel psi is $300.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:41 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Is the dash boss as accurate and able to pull all the same parameters such as ficm voltage and what not?
Old 07-20-2012, 03:42 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Hey I got a question. Does anyone make a dash mount for an iPad?? If they did, this might be a reason for me to buy one. It would be sweet to have an iPad for gauges as the screen is huge compared to something like the CTS.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:44 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrunner408 View Post
Hey I got a question. Does anyone make a dash mount for an iPad?? If they did, this might be a reason for me to buy one. It would be sweet to have an iPad for gauges as the screen is huge compared to something like the CTS.
I like that idea!!! Holy moly if someone couldnt see the screen on the iPad they shouldnt be driving.

IMO the CTS os the way to go for data monitoring on the 6.0L. There are just so many different things you can watch with the CTS. Best yet you can add on to it as the budget allows.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:49 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany View Post
Is the dash boss as accurate and able to pull all the same parameters such as ficm voltage and what not?
I don't know, I never saw anybody compare the Edge to analog gauges or another OBDII scanner like Autoenginuity. Some have reported different readings with CS/CTS when compared to analog gauges like boost, ICP.

I do know when I was testing out the DashBoss, I was checking the readings with my 7 analog gauges and Autoenginuity. The DashBoss was "dead nut" with Autoenginuity, my analog gauge sensors are not in OEM locations.

The creators of DashBoss were affiliated with the Dashhawk, back in the day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.