Need ideas on where to tap into for EOT and ECT - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2012, 10:47 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need ideas on where to tap into for EOT and ECT

Got some digital Autometers today and need to hook them up. I need to know where to put my Oil temp sending unit ( tap the oil pan?) and I need to know where the best place to put the coolant temp sending unit ( drivers side drain plug?) Thanx in advance guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2012, 11:50 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
For your oil temp get a billet oil filter cover and it will have the 1/8th npt tap in the top for the oil temp sending unit. As for the coolant temp I think it gets spliced into one of the return lines going to the degass bottle. I don't have the coolant temp gauge on mine so I'm not exactly sure on that. But the oil temp goes onto the oil filter cap or there is a test port on the oil cooler housing that can be drilled and tapped for the temp sending unit but it's not easy to get to and should be done while replacing the oil cooler though.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:13 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany View Post
For your oil temp get a billet oil filter cover and it will have the 1/8th npt tap in the top for the oil temp sending unit. As for the coolant temp I think it gets spliced into one of the return lines going to the degass bottle. I don't have the coolant temp gauge on mine so I'm not exactly sure on that. But the oil temp goes onto the oil filter cap or there is a test port on the oil cooler housing that can be drilled and tapped for the temp sending unit but it's not easy to get to and should be done while replacing the oil cooler though.
Thanks for the reply man. I always thought that port on the billet caps was only used for oil pressure. Also, I was wondering if anyone knew what the coolant oil temp delta safe zone was? 10 degrees within eachother?
Old 07-20-2012, 12:23 AM
Banned

No higher than 10 - 15* when going 65 mph on flat ground with the truck at normal operating temp. Should be lower than that but if it's in the higher realms of 10-15* get ready to replace the oil cooler cause it's clogged.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:35 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
15* is the allowed delta. Block drain is an excellent choice for location of thee coolant temp sensor. For the oil temp sensor get a T and run it under the Pressure switch.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Can the ect sensor be t'd into a radiator or heater hose and be accurate?
Old 07-20-2012, 03:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
FWIW: My oil temp sensor is in the top of my billet oil cap; My ECT sensor is in the block drain on the drivers side. Works well.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:26 PM
Premium Member

I think i'll be using the block drain for my coolant sensor, as for the oil sensor not sure. Does the billet cap give accurate readings?
Old 07-20-2012, 01:29 PM
Banned

The difference is on the billet cap is your oil temp is being read post oil cooler where as at the oil pressure switch it will be pre oil cooler so you will have different oil temp readings.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:26 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany View Post
The difference is on the billet cap is your oil temp is being read post oil cooler where as at the oil pressure switch it will be pre oil cooler so you will have different oil temp readings.
The billet oil cap is read post oil cooler, just like the OEM EOT, and EOP.

Oil gets pumped up from the oil pump to the oil cooler, then goes thru the filter, and then gets divided to go to the reservoir/crankcase/turbo feed/EOT sensor/EOP switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.