Changing custom tunes - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2012, 01:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Changing custom tunes

So I have SRL, 8k tow and I haven't used the tow tune yet. I am going to pull my boat this weekend only about 30 miles. I have heard that when changing tunes there is a slight relearn curve, and also that you shouldn't tow with SRL. I wanted to check to see if this was true and what is the proper way to change to the tow tune and pull my boat and then switch back. Basically, I want to DD the SRL and occasionally pull my boat. What are you guys thoughts on this? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2012, 03:44 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Load your tow tune, drive unloaded for ~30 miles to allow it to learn to shift again then you should be good to tow.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:41 PM
Chapter Director

How heavy is your boat? I have srl tune and I tow my boat (2400lbs w/trailer) and dont have any problems. Just should take it kinda easy and if possible watch your temps.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:20 PM

I tow my small 18ft center consle on the IDP X Street tune and it seems ok. But I only go about 5 miles and never over 60mph and I stay light on acceleration
Old 07-18-2012, 05:46 PM

My small boat is a 16ft cc and its aluminum so very lightweight so it would probably be alright if I babied it, but I just dont want it to cause any problems later down the road. Guess I could try it once and watch temps to look for how much difference.

psd_va, what kind of mileage are you seeing with SRL? Also, I see your outta newport news. I'm from yorktown but live in southern maryland now and come back to va most weekends. Maybe we can meet up sometime.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:05 PM

I just towed 10K with the SRL and stock head bolts. Just take it easy and watch the temps.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:42 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeshu1000 View Post
I just towed 10K with the SRL and stock head bolts. Just take it easy and watch the temps.
You'll pay for that mistake. The reason they say not to tow with race tunes is because of the extreme cylinder pressures that they create. A tow tune changes the torque curve to lower rpms to and don't advance the fueling and timing to keep the cylinder pressures to a minimum while maximizing torque. Mark my words if you keep towing 10,000 with a race tune you will stretch your stock head bolts.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany View Post
You'll pay for that mistake. The reason they say not to tow with race tunes is because of the extreme cylinder pressures that they create. A tow tune changes the torque curve to lower rpms to and don't advance the fueling and timing to keep the cylinder pressures to a minimum while maximizing torque. Mark my words if you keep towing 10,000 with a race tune you will stretch your stock head bolts.
my boat is probably around 2000 lbs or less....would you switch tunes? Currently on idp extreme street. If I tow anything heavy I would def switch over, but the boat last minute sometimes and I could be at ramp before the tune is swapped
Old 07-18-2012, 07:09 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I don't think that little bit of weight would hurt it if you aren't driving it like you stole it. No quick accels and what not. The other guy says he tows 10,000 with a race tune and if he keeps it up he could very possibly be buying a new engine and not just blow the head gaskets.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:48 AM

10-4 on that. Yes, def not going over half throttle when towing the boat, especially knowing what yoy mentioned above on how the race tune is set up...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.