Need advice on exhaust system.... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2012, 04:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Need advice on exhaust system....

My truck is basically stock, less an SCT tuner and 4" catback MBRP exhaust. In an effort to squeeze out a little more MPG and power (and lower EGTs), I'm considering a new, TURBO BACK exhaust. I've been looking primarily at Diamond Eye because of their price point. I know I want to delete the cat, but I"m a little torn on whether or not I need/want a muffler.

The thing is, the truck is technically my wife's daily driver. I don't want to make it overly obnoxious in the cab for her.

The next question is overall diameter. Is there a huge benefit to 5" over 4" exhaust? Aren't most of the 5" kits still using a 4" downpipe from the turbo? Before I got into diesels, my brother in law had an 07 F350 with (what he told me) was a 5" exhaust and the downpipe was 5" as well - I remember hearing what he described as the downpipe rubbing the firewall. Is this normal?

Any advice would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2012, 05:30 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I am happy with my diamond eye. If its for your wife I would go with a muffler. The straight pipes can get a little noisy in the cab. I love it but im sure some people would hate it

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 07-17-2012, 05:59 AM

Diamond eye exhaust is a good exhaust system I know lots of people that got them and haven't had an problems with them. Some people do have problems with the 5" exhaust rubbing the firewall. If your wife is going to be driving it I would have to get one with a muffler on the exhaust. The straight pipe sounds good but it can get noisey at times.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:13 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Keep the muffler...IMO sounds much better and doesn't change performance.

We carry all the exhaust brands...
Old 07-17-2012, 09:38 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The biggest dp available is 4 inch. 5 inch will not fit. I hav ea 5" flo~pro and I am very happy with it. The install was easy and I like the exit better than diamond eye. The best thing about it is that it comes with stainless band clamps not the u-bolst style so it is easy to disassemble and reassemble if you have to work on stuff.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:10 AM

Just from a performance stand point, the 6.0 cannot push enough volume to effect a 4” pipe. Considering trucks with 12 liter engines use 4” pipes your safe with any 4” brand. The 5” IMO resonates too much and collects water because the exhaust velocity so low. If you just want a huge, heavy 5” system, get one. If your goal is some sound and beneficial turbo response, the 4” is more than enough.
As for a muffler, just my .02, the constant drone of an open pipe gets old real fast, especially if your towing something.

W
Old 07-17-2012, 07:59 PM

So - I'll go 4" turbo back w/ muffler. Is any particular brand better than any other? How about the clamps? I never thought about them until I saw the above posts, but which styles come from which manufacturer? I definitely like the idea of removing it easily if need be.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I've got mbrp and I love it I picked them because of price as well where r u from cause I've got a brand new muffler still in the bubble wrap in my garage I'd be happy to give it to u for like 15 bucks I have no use for it and don't really feel like putting it on the Internet to sell it I'm in the Dallas to area so if ur close to there just let me know it's gonna be a good balance between the stock muffler and straight pipe sound I think it will give u that growl ur lookin for
Old 07-18-2012, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brogers7870 View Post
I've got mbrp and I love it I picked them because of price as well where r u from cause I've got a brand new muffler still in the bubble wrap in my garage I'd be happy to give it to u for like 15 bucks I have no use for it and don't really feel like putting it on the Internet to sell it I'm in the Dallas to area so if ur close to there just let me know it's gonna be a good balance between the stock muffler and straight pipe sound I think it will give u that growl ur lookin for
I'm over in Tennessee.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ah gotcha a bit too far for a muffler the haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.