To tune or not to tune? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2012, 06:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question To tune or not to tune?

Hello everyone, first post here. I have lurked around since I purchased my truck. Its an 06 3/4 ton crew cab 2x4. It has 160,000 miles on it and runs like a top. My question pertains to a max edge tuner. The first week of August I am taking a 2000 mile trip to the San Jaun river in northern New Mexico to do a little trout fishing. On my local craiglist there is a max edge turner for 100 bucks that I'm considering purchasing. My truck gets right around 16-17mpg on the highway. From reading you can gain anywhere from 2 to possibly 6 mpg from the tuner. My truck is completely stock and free of mods. It has been to Ford and has the manifold seals replaced as well as the coupling that comes out of the back of the engine for the high pressure oil. I do not want to add for the power, I just want the mpg. Is it "safe" for a truck with that many miles to add a tuner, because I would essentially pay for the tuner with this one trip. Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advanced
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2012, 08:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Most everyone here will refer you to the sct due to its transmission tuning which I have been told that the edge doesnt do and can cause serious damage. You say you dont want power but that is where better mpg comes from, just have to be gentle with your right foot. only mods to my truck are in my sig and I use it 99% of the time for towing, with a tow tune I get 15mpg average and was happy because I also dont need anymore power. Last weekend I took a roadtrip, changed from tow to performance tune and the truck was unloaded and no trailer, all interstate at 70mph I got an honest 21.8mpg and have plenty of unneeded power. I had read that high hp tunes were good for mileage but now I believe it. Im sure someone with more knowledge than I will chime in here soon and help out. Good luck with the truck and fishing!
Old 07-14-2012, 08:52 AM

Buy an SCT tuner with Custom tunes if you want to tune the truck.

/thread.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:58 AM

In addition, any tuner making claims of fuel economy increases on the order of 6 mpg is pure garbage.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:34 PM

It's not always that simple, The EDGE is nice when it work, but many will fail and for $100 the one you are looking at may already be failing. Tuning also puts alot more pressure in the cylinders causing most trucks to blow the head gaskets. This is all fixable and usually avoidable if you have the head studs and gaskets done with a new tuner. Hind site being 20/20 most 6.0 owners will tell you either don't tune it, or spend the money and do it right from the beginning. There are exceptions to every rule but most tuned 6.0's have studs to handle it.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I debated this for a while. I finally bought the SCT live wire. While i hate the actual Livewire device the Tuning is unbelievable! 2-3MPGs with Vivians looney tune and once you hit the light switch point of the accelerator pedal its as if a demon was woke up from under the hood! You will never drive stock again!
Old 07-14-2012, 05:54 PM

i can tell you that you probably wont get 6mpg youll more than likely get 2-3 i gained bout 3 mpg with custom tunes and a small ficm tune and straight piped exhaust, your better off going with the sct with custom they work a whole lot better than anything out there.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:52 PM

on a 80hp custom street tune on my sct i get 20.3 at 70mph. i am told i will get even better in the 130hp tune but i have not had my tuner long enough to really test other settings.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:23 AM
Premium Member

I just did studs on my truck and tow very heavy, for me and my Excursion...22,000lbs. I also drive empty....so are Vivian's tunes the way to go?? where do i find her?
Old 07-15-2012, 05:04 AM

She is at Quick Tricks Auto. I don't have any of her tunes but I hear she is one of the best at tuning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.