Fixed truck, Beach trip, MPGs and something interesting - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2012, 06:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fixed truck, Beach trip, MPGs and something interesting

ok well I had about 160miles on the truck when we decided to take it. No problem just built a JIC of parts and tools and loaded that with eveything else. Well the truck ran better than it ever has before no complaints. well with all the mods I've done over the last year I managed 19.8 MPG down at night temps in the mid 80's but humid (sheetz ultra low diesel)(256.7 miles and used 12.96gals). Once we got there I filled up, then we tooled around *****oteague,va 25-30mph with AC on 50% of the time managed 12.34mpg (Royal Farms Low diesel)(168.8 miles used 13.67gals). We filled up again today on the way back at Royal Farms again and manage 21mpg (Royal Farms low diesel)(256.7 miles 12.22 Gals used). the interesting thing to me over the trip is how good the truck seemed to like the Royal Farms low diesel (min 40cetane) I have no idea what Sheetz is or if that is the differance in ultra low vs low. Also I was using ID's Aggressive street tune and IDs FICM tune. Now I just have to get a little exhaust leak fixed either the manifold to uppipe or the egt sensor. Not back but bugs me.... Also it's so nice not to have the thing venting off anymore.... no mess to clean up and the coolant smell is gone.

edit: just wanted to add this is hand calculated mileage and the drip down(19.8) was on crusie control most of the way and the way back(21) was right footed all the way.

Last edited by U235a4; 07-12-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2012, 07:10 PM

Glad to here she is doing well! I actually ran mine empty on the interstate on a road trip last weekend, running a canned SCT performance tune: got 21.8 on the interstate and 17.9 on open country roads, I was very surprised and pleased at the same time, was really surprised at how fast the Lie-o-meter dropped when I got into stopngo traffic and multiple red lights, it really brought it down.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Goose View Post
Glad to here she is doing well! I actually ran mine empty on the interstate on a road trip last weekend, running a canned SCT performance tune: got 21.8 on the interstate and 17.9 on open country roads, I was very surprised and pleased at the same time, was really surprised at how fast the Lie-o-meter dropped when I got into stopngo traffic and multiple red lights, it really brought it down.
that sucks that you ran empty, I don't have a lie-0-meter so I just hand cal
Old 07-12-2012, 08:21 PM

I'd kill to get 19+ mpg! I got 15.5 today. I can't break 16 on a regular basis... Y'all don't know how lucky y'all are!!
Old 07-12-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Mav View Post
I'd kill to get 19+ mpg! I got 15.5 today. I can't break 16 on a regular basis... Y'all don't know how lucky y'all are!!
Same here!

What gears are you other guys running? My truck has 4.10's.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:28 AM

I think mine has 3.73, but the fuel mileage makes me wonder if I don't have 4.10s too..
Old 07-13-2012, 07:41 AM

mines a CCLB 4x4 with 3.73's stock tires
Old 07-14-2012, 05:49 AM

Sorry, I meant that the truck was unloaded, empty, I have a trailer and or load behind it 99% of the time, didnt run out of fuel. I have read that most lie-ometers are off, but I have hand calculated mine many times and the results are within a tenth of a mile + or -, so I trust mine right now. I dont know what strategy I have, no tunes except for the sct, basic stock truck with the mods in my sig. Now I did not use cruise just my right foot and tried to hold 70mph but went over downhill and dropped under uphill but held 70 in the flats. According to my sticker I have 3:73 gears, 34" tires @ 65psi. I was suspicious of claims of 20+mpg on some threads that I have read but honestly still cant believe that MY truck did that well (its always the other guys truck gets better mileage, his boat is faster and bigger, and has more hp, you know the drill). Im considering driving it to Florida at the end of this month and see what a longer drive reveals. After talking to some friends in the GPDA I think I may just be lucky that the canned tune and my truck just work together extremely well, and Im very happy to finally be lucky!!!!
Old 07-14-2012, 05:56 AM

Countrymav and 06DZL, have you tried the canned performance tune on your sct? Looks like your both running looney, try it if you havent, worst result would be less mpg but it might go up, IDK. I do not even have any custom tunes but would try them if mpg would increase, I have all the power that I need, actually more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.