Banks ic and piping - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2012, 07:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Banks ic and piping

I had one and it worked good, not worth the money but improved all the affected numbers in a good way.

My buddy who I helped finish a stick and pmax install this afternoon asked about the intercooler. I told him for what you have, it's a waste. An intake manifold would be better money spent, but even that shouldn't really be a need.

Now my question, there was a thread about the boost tubes being too big and causing lag and so on. Are there any opinions at what point the ic and larger tubing would come into play? I don't want a horsepower number, I want a general area of turbo and injector combos that the ic becomes a restriction.

We all know the intake manifold and heads are the buttplugs on the motor already so that base is covered and we can skip that.

I put mine on after my pmax went in, all i noticed was an egt drop at wot and a loss of 2psi of boost. I have no before and after to compare after that so i couldn't give an opinion.

Thanks in advance folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2012, 07:19 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I dont think people really replace the stock intercooler because it is a "restriction" per say but rather that it has small end caps (so most of the air flow is forced through about 50-60% of the cooler) and is not as thick as say a banks or spearco intercooler and is used for additional cooling of the charge air. At least that is why I did my intercooler swap.

Either way, I agree that a ported intake manifold would be a better option first.

I think when guys put larger injectors like 175s + are used and a turbo that is larger than a Pmax is put on, the air flow is going to be higher and therefore the cooling capacity needs to be more so it can help keep IATs down and thus EGTs down as well.

JMO take it FWIW.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:26 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
for me I installed the Pmax first and then the BANKS IC and piping. I have alot better throttle response with the banks kit over the stock stuff and even smoked less. Also egts over all where lower and cleaned up quicker. As for the boost I would be more worried about increased boost over a loss. when you build more power with increased engine efficancy with out increasing programing for more boost or fuel, boost will drop. Also as air density (cold air) increases boost will drop due to the air taking up less space for the same amount of air moved. the only way to show weather the tubes are good or bad would be to test on a dyno back to back. for me it's a double thumbs up for the whole setup.... my 2 cents anyway.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:52 PM

Both points taken, an intercooler is just an air/air radiator. the banks/afe/spearco seem like the aluminum 4 cores and the stockers seem like the 2 core copper rads.

I would venture that a monster setup(some compound configuration) would be the no brainer candidate. Just curious about the grey area before
Old 07-11-2012, 09:29 PM
The Silent Service

I see the intake manifold as the hold up in close-to-stock builds.

So the plan now is to get my manifold ported out, the next time I rebuild the oil cooler (next spring).

This fall will be the addition of a new turbo. So I should be able to give solid numbers back on what I see with the turbo, intake manifold, and then the intercooler.

I think the 6.0L intercooler works when matched with the stock intake manifold, but if you open the air down stream, you should really see gains when the IC goes in.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:01 PM

I had mine about as open as it got. the pmax seemed to run around 650-750 no matter what airflow improvements I made(manifold, headers, ported heads, intercooler.) The compond setup ran about the same area. One scenario that was different was climbing a small hill, giving the engine just enough throttle to maintain speed. The pmax would climb to about 900(stock and 175 injectors) while the compounds would only go to about 800. that told me the s364 was flowing a tad more at the same rpms vs the pmax(1800rpms for example.)

Towing, either outfit was setup to stay below 1100* egt WOT.

3/4-WOT was where the hard parts really shined and let the engine give its all.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:55 PM

just back from a beach trip and my egts on the way back with ambiant temps around 88 where 600-650 doing 70-75.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.