afe pro dry s? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2012, 09:20 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
afe pro dry s?

I am helping one of my friends put in 155/50's and a pmax. He's wanting a cai to go with it. I leaned him towards afe due to that's what me and my wife have and they work great. He doesn't want an oiled filter(k&n syndrome) so I pointed him towards the pro dry s. Are these good units, haven't seen much on them like the pg7's and 5r's?

He is aware the stocker is best for filtration, but wants one anyway. So we can skip that part. The area is east tn, so no real dusty conditions to worry with.

Thanks in advance for any insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2012, 10:04 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The Pro Dry S will be fine man. I ran one for about 3 years before I switched over to the S&B. I really liked it actually because I could just wash it and then dry it and then stick it back on.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by windrunner408 View Post
The Pro Dry S will be fine man. I ran one for about 3 years before I switched over to the S&B. I really liked it actually because I could just wash it and then dry it and then stick it back on.
Why did you ditch the AFE and go S&B?
Old 07-11-2012, 11:06 AM

Thanks Nate.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:26 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride808 View Post
Why did you ditch the AFE and go S&B?
I had the kit that had the filter and battery tray in one and I didn't like that it sucked in hot air all the time so I got a sealed CAI. I only went with the S&B on the second go around because it was like $100 less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg85 View Post
Thanks Nate.
Yea man no problem.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:44 PM
Emergency Services

I just put my s&b on on saturday...the turbo spools up almost immediately now and sounds killer.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:00 AM

i like my afe filters. i have a dry afe for the stock airbox with @15k on it if interested. just pulled it to go to a cold air kit
mike
Old 07-12-2012, 07:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

I'm throwing a dry AFE kit on my truck as we speak with studs and IPR external oild cooler kit/Updated EGR. Can't wait to get this thing back!
Old 07-12-2012, 10:16 AM

I had the dry filter on my AFE CAI with sealed box, and the previous owner must have put it through the washer or something because it wasn't a normal shape, and must have oiled it or something because it was black, I mean black. That was AFTER I washed it and dried it several times.

I went ahead and bought an oiled, and can definitely notice a difference. Deeper tone, I've improved 1.5mpg towing, and 1mpg no load.

I'd try to steer him to the oiled filter but that's just me. I won't go with a dry filter ever again, even if it was just because of how he cleaned it. They only offer 2 layers of filtration, the other AFE's are 5 and 7 I believe. Much better protection.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcat6183 View Post
I had the dry filter on my AFE CAI with sealed box, and the previous owner must have put it through the washer or something because it wasn't a normal shape, and must have oiled it or something because it was black, I mean black. That was AFTER I washed it and dried it several times.

I went ahead and bought an oiled, and can definitely notice a difference. Deeper tone, I've improved 1.5mpg towing, and 1mpg no load.

I'd try to steer him to the oiled filter but that's just me. I won't go with a dry filter ever again, even if it was just because of how he cleaned it. They only offer 2 layers of filtration, the other AFE's are 5 and 7 I believe. Much better protection.
Beware of dusting with oil filters. The K&N i had on my cummins painted the inside of my turbo black befoer i put a dry amsoil filter on in it's place. Doesn't happen to all but mine filtered as well as a screen door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.