Boost question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2012, 08:12 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Boost question

I have been running Matt's SRL+ for a week or so now and I had a question about boost. The truck absolutely moves like a raped ape and has no shortage in power. I am seeing a maximum of about 23psi on the factory boost gauge. I had found another thread where someone had said they could easily hit 30psi on the same tune. I have also read that Matt's tunes have lower cylinder pressures and the only way I can imagine that is possible is with lower boost. On the stock tune I had no problem hitting the normal 28-30psi so I don't think I have a boost leak. The truck doesn't smoke at all and it's running great.

So I guess my question is do I not worry and just enjoy the crap out of it? I absolutely love how it's running.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2012, 09:45 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Enjoy it, I'm currently running IDP and boost usually will peak at 28 however if I'm going up a steep hill i can get it to 32ish briefly. I must order srl I'm getting tired of the on off power from IDP, if only Matt was easier to get a hold of I wouldn't have been so impatient and got IDP instead

Sent from Autoguide on iPhone
Old 07-11-2012, 10:34 AM

Get a mechical gauge I bet your boost is higher
Old 07-11-2012, 11:40 AM

I have a similar situation: my truck is stock: running stock tune, i will see 25lbs of boost. If i plug in my SCT tuner and set it on the tow tune, the truck accelerates faster, almost zero smoke, gets 1mpg better fuel mileage, but i only see 22lbs of boost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRF985 View Post
I have been running Matt's SRL+ for a week or so now and I had a question about boost. The truck absolutely moves like a raped ape and has no shortage in power. I am seeing a maximum of about 23psi on the factory boost gauge. I had found another thread where someone had said they could easily hit 30psi on the same tune. I have also read that Matt's tunes have lower cylinder pressures and the only way I can imagine that is possible is with lower boost. On the stock tune I had no problem hitting the normal 28-30psi so I don't think I have a boost leak. The truck doesn't smoke at all and it's running great.

So I guess my question is do I not worry and just enjoy the crap out of it? I absolutely love how it's running.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:29 PM

My srl hits 26 psi on mechanical gauge my obd2 gauge would only ever 22psi
Old 07-11-2012, 01:24 PM

I just went thru this issue with my "Perfectly Running Truck" hitting low 20's on Boost.

When replacing the Turbo with Mad's Stage 1 again i could hit 22 - 23 occasionally 25 PSI he was adamant that the turbo should easily hit 30 PSI, something i had never seen before -owned the truck for 5 years.

So i began the search for an air leak per Adrian's direction.

Started at the "Y" Pipes and clamps up and down behind the Turbo, cinched them up tite good news is if there is any leak here the SOOT will show the path.

Next step CAC Boots, took them off, cleaned thoroughly and remounted with hair spray -AquaNet.

Removed Cold CAC Tube and cleaned it really good looking for cracks ended up replacing it for peace of mind, Thanks Tousely

Removed the Tube attached to the Turbo and FICM via (2) 8mm bolts and CCV Tube. Turns out this was the source of my leak for 4+ years. Replaced with Tube from Tousley.
The tube is hard plastic with a beveled inside and beveled flange on the turbo just enough to where the tighter i would turn the hose clamp a little more of the flange would be visible it would never get really tight. You could see just a bt of the turbo flange in the "8-O-Clock" area. No SOOT of course and NO visual of a leak.

I've completed the CCV mod and removed that hose so no more oil in the CAC Tubes and i can hit 30 PSI with literally NO effort.

If you have a tune, 30 PSI should be easy to hit, you have an air leak.

Denny
Old 07-11-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel angus View Post
I just went thru this issue with my "Perfectly Running Truck" hitting low 20's on Boost.

When replacing the Turbo with Mad's Stage 1 again i could hit 22 - 23 occasionally 25 PSI he was adamant that the turbo should easily hit 30 PSI, something i had never seen before -owned the truck for 5 years.

So i began the search for an air leak per Adrian's direction.

Started at the "Y" Pipes and clamps up and down behind the Turbo, cinched them up tite good news is if there is any leak here the SOOT will show the path.

Next step CAC Boots, took them off, cleaned thoroughly and remounted with hair spray -AquaNet.

Removed Cold CAC Tube and cleaned it really good looking for cracks ended up replacing it for peace of mind, Thanks Tousely

Removed the Tube attached to the Turbo and FICM via (2) 8mm bolts and CCV Tube. Turns out this was the source of my leak for 4+ years. Replaced with Tube from Tousley.
The tube is hard plastic with a beveled inside and beveled flange on the turbo just enough to where the tighter i would turn the hose clamp a little more of the flange would be visible it would never get really tight. You could see just a bt of the turbo flange in the "8-O-Clock" area. No SOOT of course and NO visual of a leak.

I've completed the CCV mod and removed that hose so no more oil in the CAC Tubes and i can hit 30 PSI with literally NO effort.

If you have a tune, 30 PSI should be easy to hit, you have an air leak.

Denny
So your saying if I read this correct you had a leak on your intake tube going on the front of the turbo ? Happen to snap a pic . Either way very interesting
Old 07-11-2012, 06:32 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Ok well I guess there was some user error on my part if you could call it that. I managed to get it to hit 28psi on the gauge. I guess I wasn't getting enough load on it before but with it in 6th and the TC locked i was able to easily get the boost up much higher than what I had been seeing before.

paoness, I agree with Matt being hard to get a hold of. I left a message thought and I was called back later in the day.

Thanks everyone for your help!
Old 07-11-2012, 07:22 PM

actually matts tune has a built in boost fooler, i remember seeing the thread you are talking about cause the stock system will start to defuel itself at whatever your peak boost is on say a insight when its actually more than that, i noticed that too when i got mine tuned by him that on my "test" hill it would 30 psi going up stock and then did a few runs on flat ground to see what it would do and couldnt get over 26psi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.