Need new trans - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2012, 07:59 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need new trans

hey guys, so last weekend my stock trans failed on me, not sure exactly whats meesed up but the truck cant even drive and i know i need a new one. i got a price for an overhaul on my current one but for the kind of money he wants i can just buy a new built one...

which built tranny should i choose for best price? Suncoast? BTS? i live in canada so cant just pick it up i would have to have it shipped...

i am also debating weather to do the tranny swap myself or not... how difficult is this? i would need to rent some kind of tranny hoist i know... any other special tools ?

thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2012, 08:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would just go with another stocker preferably year 05 06 or 07. bts is booked through October.

what do you do that would require a $6k dollar built trans? It's a 1/3 of the price of the truck imo. I could go through 3-5 stockers for that price. jmo.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:56 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Bts ftw its an awesome piece with even better customer service
Old 07-11-2012, 09:56 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Since you live in Canada, I would recommend NADP. Hands down they are the best there is and you wont have to deal with any customs issues. JMO.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:26 AM

Good point ^^^
Old 07-11-2012, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by windrunner408 View Post
Since you live in Canada, I would recommend NADP. Hands down they are the best there is and you wont have to deal with any customs issues. JMO.
Beat me to it Nate. I second this all the way.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darsey715 View Post
I would just go with another stocker preferably year 05 06 or 07. bts is booked through October.

what do you do that would require a $6k dollar built trans? It's a 1/3 of the price of the truck imo. I could go through 3-5 stockers for that price. jmo.
Wow where are you finding stock trannys for such a low price? BTW the truck is tuned and has future plans of turbo and injectors. Also tows 7 ton 5er and the odd sled pulls and hard daily driving so i think its worth the extra to get something built...

Quote:
I''ve heard NADPs are great and for the price i would hope so...anyone on here running one? What can i expect from a trans like this other than the fact its bulletproof ? I'm starting to get excited lol.

I will make some calls tomorrow, that sucks if BTS is booked up...

Now about the install, any tips ??
Old 07-11-2012, 02:35 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I did my install my self with my brother.. I have a vehicle lift as well, so that helped a lot... Pretty straight forward if you have some mechanical background.. Also i did a new trans cooler since the old one had all the debris form the shot trans in it... It took me about 7 hrs to do the swap.. Just plan on a full day

Last edited by huhner5; 07-11-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:37 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor-man View Post
Wow where are you finding stock trannys for such a low price? BTW the truck is tuned and has future plans of turbo and injectors. Also tows 7 ton 5er and the odd sled pulls and hard daily driving so i think its worth the extra to get something built...

I''ve heard NADPs are great and for the price i would hope so...anyone on here running one? What can i expect from a trans like this other than the fact its bulletproof ? I'm starting to get excited lol.

Now about the install, any tips ??
Yea based on what you are planning to do with the truck, I would recommend something more than stock for sure. I haven't heard of anyone on here running them. I know of a couple guys on other forums that live there in Canada that run them and they have compound turbo trucks that they do A LOT with like racing, towing, etc. I think true high quality and piece of mind knowing that you have a tranny that you will most likely never have to replace again and will handle anything you throw at it except neglect and stupidity of course.

You could also check out Twisted Diesel trannies as I have heard good about them as well I know for me, I am going to look at Warren transmissions. He is kind of a new comer but I am hearing some good things about his stuff and he has GREAT prices. like an 800hp capable tranny for just over $3k. Might be worth looking into.

I will also be doing the install myself when I get around to doing mine. I dont know much about it either other than it will probably be a real PITA. Sorry I can't be of more help.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhner5 View Post
I did my install my self with my brother.. I have a vehicle lift as well, so that helped a lot... Pretty straight forward if you have some mechanical background.. Also i did a new trans cooler since the old one had all the debris form the shot trans in it... It took me about 7 hrs to do the swap.. Just plan on a full day
Ya i dont have a car lift but truck is 7'' lifted 37s so thers space under there lol. And I would hope mine does not have debris in cooler !?

Quote:
Yea based on what you are planning to do with the truck, I would recommend something more than stock for sure. I haven't heard of anyone on here running them. I know of a couple guys on other forums that live there in Canada that run them and they have compound turbo trucks that they do A LOT with like racing, towing, etc. I think true high quality and piece of mind knowing that you have a tranny that you will most likely never have to replace again and will handle anything you throw at it except neglect and stupidity of course.

You could also check out Twisted Diesel trannies as I have heard good about them as well I know for me, I am going to look at Warren transmissions. He is kind of a new comer but I am hearing some good things about his stuff and he has GREAT prices. like an 800hp capable tranny for just over $3k. Might be worth looking into.

I will also be doing the install myself when I get around to doing mine. I dont know much about it either other than it will probably be a real PITA. Sorry I can't be of more help.
Now i was kinda under the impression that there would be a trans or two BEST fitted for the 6.0l, like the SCT tuner and pretty much everything else the 6.0l is so picky lol. But could it be safe to say that the majority of aftermarket built trans will be good ??

And yeah, i can imagine its gonna be a PITA. But if there are no special tools needed or nothing extra tricky im sure i can do it even if it does take me forever lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.