What's MAD up to NOW::::::::: - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2012, 11:57 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What's MAD up to NOW:::::::::

You know I was going to wait and start testing on some new design of vgt turbo I had planned in the future, but a guess MKM beat me to it so off to the design board I go. Their are very few people I trust with so of my MAD ideas and I have many many of them, and windrunner408 is one of the guys. I told him when I first met him about so of my ideas and future, one was ball bearing. Yes, I was going to experiment with ball bearing in a vgt turbo to increase spool time, I wasn't sure how the ball bearing would react with the vgt vanes, and response, but I was going to try it.
Well I read in dieselpower mag. that MKM had a special edition turbo, a ball bearing vgt turbo, so I thought to myself, I'm giving them a call, could this be a type error and it's just a pretty purple paint job? I called them, and questioned the ball bearing they said yes it is. I said here's my credit info, send me one please. When I get it I will put it on my truck and see how it goes, if it works good then uder the MAD knike it goes and 13 blade turbine gets added to see how fast it spools. Now depending on the performance depends if I turn it into a stage 2, and try it out. Than of course stage 3, and than the stage 4 monster, by the way stage 4 is the stage 5, I don't think stage 4 was going to be worth it so now stage 4 is the godzilla 72mm/94mm billet wheel possilbly ball bearing. The 72mm spools faster than the stage 3 and with ball bearing could possibly be the fastest 72mm spooling turbo produced...........ha ha ha ha ..... complete MADDNESS. Stay tuned on yet one more thread, yeh yeh yeh ,I know but blame MKM they pushed me into this faster than I wanted, but I can't just stand by, wouldn't be me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2012, 12:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sounds like it should be ahellofa turbo! Almost makes me wish i saved my money for one of these new crazy hybrids! Keep it up cant wait to see results!
Old 07-10-2012, 01:02 AM

Just like all the other threads. Can't wait to see what happens. Stay tuned........

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 07-10-2012, 01:02 AM
Premium Member

Send a message via ICQ to Duncan's KR Send a message via Yahoo to Duncan's KR
Sounds great Adrian, I was just thinking the other day how great it would be if these turbos were set up with ball bearing and that made me think about the possibilities of what could be accomplished if they were set up with ceramic bearings...... I guess I will have to watch and wait to see the out come.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:39 AM

my only concern is the "wear" on the ball bearing. I think the bronze sleeve type bearing will outlast any ball bearing. think of all the "old machinery" from the 1950's that have used bronze sleeve bearings, as long as they have a sufficient oil film, there will be no wear. the same cant be said about a ball bearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan's KR View Post
Sounds great Adrian, I was just thinking the other day how great it would be if these turbos were set up with ball bearing and that made me think about the possibilities of what could be accomplished if they were set up with ceramic bearings...... I guess I will have to watch and wait to see the out come.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:41 AM

Adrian what about water cooling to keep the temps down on the turbo which will also increase bearing life?
Old 07-10-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubbock guy View Post
my only concern is the "wear" on the ball bearing. I think the bronze sleeve type bearing will outlast any ball bearing. think of all the "old machinery" from the 1950's that have used bronze sleeve bearings, as long as they have a sufficient oil film, there will be no wear. the same cant be said about a ball bearing.
Turbonetics uses ceramic ball bearings. They are extremely robust and are capable of managing massive thrust loads. Safe to say, these turbos, even in non-MAD form are poised to be potent in a 6.0L, especially in the way of spooling more quickly in the lower RPM ranges.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:53 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Tubonetics has a less than stellar reputation for use on diesels, especially the 6.0
Old 07-10-2012, 11:08 AM

My post was more to the legitimacy of ball bearing-based turbos as opposed to the reputation of Turbonetics, which admittedly I am not well-versed with.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:14 AM
The Silent Service

You just can't leave MAD enough alone, eh, Adrian.

And you aren't making my choice any easier for this fall's turbo purchase.
(One of the reasons to wait to see what comes next.)

So you've killed the former Stage 4, I'll update my performance thread accourdingly. With this ball-bearing Stage 2, same wheel diameters, and internals... I'll be in touch when you figure out the priceing for it (should you decide to produce these units of course). Would you bother with water cooling at the Stage 2 level?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.