53 or 58volts? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2012, 01:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
53 or 58volts?

My BPD FICM gets here friday what voltage should I set it on? Right now I have the old PHP FICM rollback, but I will be adding an atlas 40 soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2012, 07:15 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
In all honesty, I would just leave it at 48v and see how you like it with the FICM tune. I'm not entirely convinced my 58v upgrade did anything for me. You wont be able to monitor anything more than 50v anyways. JMO take it FWIW.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I really like my 58v BPD FICM. I noticed a market improvement in throttle response and overall driveability. Not like a FICM tune but noticeable. And that was replacing an IDP moderate tuned FICM with just a 58v stock tuned FICM.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks for the input, I may flip a coin between the 53, and 58 volt settings, I know that I can only monitor to 50 volts, but even if the 53 drops to 50 I am still ok, right now my FICM (that I repaired once, and Ford replaced once before that) is dropping to near 40 on cold starts, and running 47-48 when warm. I have the FICM paranoia, so a 6 phase BPD reading a constant 50 volts would be comforting. I have a fresh alternator, new Optima batteries and bumped my idle speed 50 rpm, and checked for any charge system voltage problems, I do not want any issues this coming winter, and I want another 100k miles from my stock injectors. All of these preventive upgrades are still much cheaper than a new truck (or the Honda Pilot my wife suggested that I trade for).
Old 06-29-2012, 05:17 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjeeper View Post
Thanks for the input, I may flip a coin between the 53, and 58 volt settings, I know that I can only monitor to 50 volts, but even if the 53 drops to 50 I am still ok, right now my FICM (that I repaired once, and Ford replaced once before that) is dropping to near 40 on cold starts, and running 47-48 when warm. I have the FICM paranoia, so a 6 phase BPD reading a constant 50 volts would be comforting. I have a fresh alternator, new Optima batteries and bumped my idle speed 50 rpm, and checked for any charge system voltage problems, I do not want any issues this coming winter, and I want another 100k miles from my stock injectors. All of these preventive upgrades are still much cheaper than a new truck (or the Honda Pilot my wife suggested that I trade for).
Congrats on the new purchase! Best of luck in whichever you decide, but it sounds like your FICM worries will be LONG GONE!!!! I've been running the 53v unit and it was a noticeable bump in performance, but I think based on how I use my truck the 48v unit probably would have been just fine. For those looking for a bit more performance, the higher voltage units would be ideal. Add to that, they are 6 stage, so you don't "lose" any reliability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.