More Airdog ?'s - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2012, 07:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
More Airdog ?'s

I was going to order one today but got confused when every online parts dealer told me something different. The truck has stock injectors for now someday I'd like to upgrade. I was planning on buying an AD 150. I was told I need a 165 by one shop another said 100 is plenty. One of the kits eliminates the stock pump/ regulator? I'm guessing a need a "quick connect" model. I was also told I do not need a sump.

Just wanted to see everyone's opinion on which Airdog to buy. I was going to buy a crossover line (dfuser kit) and get my banjo bolts as well. I wasn't planning on getting a reg return kit. I'm pretty much trying to prep for injectors since my truck is completely torn down right now and I'd like to get the small stuff out of the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2012, 07:34 PM

The AD165 is the one that eliminates your stock fuel pump and has a built in regulator. That's what I got and I haven't had any problems out of it. Although most people recommend a sump and I do plan on getting a sump soon. If you decide 165 over the 150 then you might want to skip the regulated return. I've heard there's no need in having two regulators in one system, but that's all matter of opinion.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I prefer the ADII DF-165 and eliminating the stock fuel system. Either way you go I highly recommend that you feed it from a sump. Your pump will be much happier if it only has to push the fuel to the engine. If you do a 165 block off the fuel return line from the oem filter can and let ADII regulate the system.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:45 AM
I wanna go fast!!!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I recommend you go with the AD2 165 with the built in regulator, when i had mine with out the sump i would loose pressure when i was under 1/4 tank and that isnt good on the pump or the injectors at all. After the sump i havent had the problem once. If you plan on going with larger injectors down the road I also think you should get a regulated return, the crossover line wont help much. As long as the pressure on the AD2 is set higher than the pressure of the RR you will not have any issues. That is how i have mine setup with 190/100s and it works great, i also did a fuel bowl delete while i was doing my build. Have you looked into an Aeromotive (A1000) instead of an AD2? I plan on getting rid of mine and switching over to that.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:52 PM

Ordered the AD2 165 with a sump. Opted out on the fuel lines/crossover. Thanks for the info guys!
Old 06-05-2012, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwsland View Post
Ordered the AD2 165 with a sump. Opted out on the fuel lines/crossover. Thanks for the info guys!
Good move. No need for the crossover and the ADII is already a regulated return. Just block off the oem fuel return line when you install and you'll be good to go.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
Good move. No need for the crossover and the ADII is already a regulated return. Just block off the oem fuel return line when you install and you'll be good to go.
Where do I need to block off the return line? Is that from the fuel bowl on the motor or under the truck where that "y-shaped" pipe is that comes with the AD2 to go in place of the HFCM? Sorry if this is a dumb question
Old 06-05-2012, 07:38 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty_Stroke View Post
Where do I need to block off the return line? Is that from the fuel bowl on the motor or under the truck where that "y-shaped" pipe is that comes with the AD2 to go in place of the HFCM? Sorry if this is a dumb question
The OEM regulator return line, in this pic you will see the line disconnected. Cut out a round disk from a soda can so it fits inside the nut.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks Lilpooh, I was just about to post that.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:18 AM

Thanks guys. I'll get that blocked off ASAP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.