edge for monitoring - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2012, 03:35 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
edge for monitoring

just purchased an 07 and it came with this edge

i know this is not good on the trans, but if i understand correctly i can run it in stock mode, and still use it to moniter the vitals. am i understanding this correctly? eventually i am going to upgrade to custom tunes, and probably cts, but until that time comes i was wondering if i could use this for anything since it was already in the truck, thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2012, 06:13 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Yes, that would be absolutely fine. Unfortunately, I don't believe that particular unit monitors oil temp, so you are on the right track to upgrade to the CTS. Congrats on the truck!
Old 06-04-2012, 06:40 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Yes you can set it to level 0 and use it as a monitor
Old 06-05-2012, 07:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

That unit looks like an evolution, not the juice attitude. What does it say on the screen at start up? If its an evolution, it has tranny tuning, and you'd be fine to run it. You can also have PHP convert it to a Ficm programmer, and or they can load custom tunes into it.

Evolutions are typically black(dark grey) around the screen. The "Attitude" controller that comes with the juice is light grey, but only slightly darker than the surounding case. Otherwise they look identical.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:28 PM
The Silent Service

You can run it there as a monitor, however, realize the old monchrome units are more limited in functionality, and are no longer being updated by Edge. Key things it cannot monitor are FICM Voltage, which is a cause of premature injector failure, and the expandable probes, like Fuel Pressure.

However, the Edge transmission tuning, is not tuning in the strictest sense. It will adjust fluid pressures, but it doesn't turn the TCM. This is not the type of tuning I would suggest running on the 5R110, as it still relies more on the adaptability of the transmission to the changing powerbands - particularly with drivers that like to change frequently.

In the long run, an Insight CS/CTS with an SCT programmer is a much better and dependable option.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Right, except...if that is an evolution...it does have full tranny tuning...the juice/attitude did not. Bill @ php can update that unit (if you change it to a ficm programmer or get custom tunes), and it will display ficm voltage and anything the CS/CTS does(less fuel pressure).

If it is a juice/attitude, then upgrade to something else.

hope this helps
Old 06-06-2012, 02:11 AM
The Silent Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyB View Post
Right, except...if that is an evolution...it does have full tranny tuning...the juice/attitude did not. Bill @ php can update that unit (if you change it to a ficm programmer or get custom tunes), and it will display ficm voltage and anything the CS/CTS does(less fuel pressure).

If it is a juice/attitude, then upgrade to something else.

hope this helps
The Edge Evolution does not have full transmission tuning from Edge, the only things that get adjusted are Shift Points and line pressure. They do nothing in regards to TC lockup. Any programming that isn't Edge's, cannot be attributed to the unit. So if Bill uses this as an FICM tuner, I'm unfamiliar with that.

As for the monochrome unit covering every PID that the CS/CTS can, again you are mistaken. When Edge updated the CS/CTS to cover FICM voltage and other updates lately, they stated the monochrome units would not be updatable. Nor can the monochrome units be configured for any of the expandable probes on the market or that are to be released in the future.

I have appended the two units from the Edge website. You can see for yourself what PIDs can and the limits of what Edge tunes on the transmission.

Monochrome Edge Evolution:
Edge Products| Product

CTS: (CS and CTS have similar functionality, the only thing the CTS can do that the CS cannot is the back up camera):
Edge Products| Product
Old 06-06-2012, 09:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

It is the evolution, only thing I don't like about it is its not monitoring egt,I don't know if probe is not hooked up or what,I haven't checked it out yet
Old 06-06-2012, 10:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by colo_dually View Post
The Edge Evolution does not have full transmission tuning from Edge, the only things that get adjusted are Shift Points and line pressure. They do nothing in regards to TC lockup. Any programming that isn't Edge's, cannot be attributed to the unit. So if Bill uses this as an FICM tuner, I'm unfamiliar with that.

As for the monochrome unit covering every PID that the CS/CTS can, again you are mistaken. When Edge updated the CS/CTS to cover FICM voltage and other updates lately, they stated the monochrome units would not be updatable. Nor can the monochrome units be configured for any of the expandable probes on the market or that are to be released in the future.

I have appended the two units from the Edge website. You can see for yourself what PIDs can and the limits of what Edge tunes on the transmission.

Monochrome Edge Evolution:
Edge Products| Product

CTS: (CS and CTS have similar functionality, the only thing the CTS can do that the CS cannot is the back up camera):
Edge Products| Product
I follow what your saying, but for a unit that "doesnt tune the TCM" It sure has an odd display that states during programming, erasing TCM, programming TCM. That usually comes up after it does the same for the ECM.

You are correct, there is no option for TC lockup in the display for the end user to change. But....But...When there are custom tunes loaded it, it can lock them up just like the SCT. The only option it does not have in custom tuning is the engine "jake" brake.

Once again, its capable of displaying the PIDs you want...minus the expandable probe ones(like fuel pressure). Look at the "ficm programmer" threads they'll tell you it has FICM voltage, ICP etc etc. But it only has those options if its has custom tunes from PHP or its a PHP ficm programmer.

So lets agree out of the box as an evolution it is limited, but its is capable of much much more than you're giving it credit for. That's all I'm saying.

Last edited by JeremyB; 06-06-2012 at 10:36 AM.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftItUp View Post
It is the evolution, only thing I don't like about it is its not monitoring egt,I don't know if probe is not hooked up or what,I haven't checked it out yet
The probe for that unit plugs into the side of the OBD2 connector, if it has a probe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.