Tranny Upgrade, Help please - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 06-03-2012, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
D_L
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tranny Upgrade, Help please

I did a search, read several posts and its been awhile since someone has brought this up.

BTS you have to buy tranny(expensive), Suncoast sells rebuild kits, etc.

My local 25 yr exp Ford dealer Tranny friend said he would upgrade my tranny while I'm upgrading Head studs/Turbo etc.

I need to figure out what all I need to get for him? Best parts? Where?

Whose torque converter? PI or?

Thanks

07 F-250 6.0L Lariat Outlaw, Weaver Performance, Stage III Mad Turbo Werks (Adrian), (IDP, TSD, Gearhead Tunes), 155/30 cc Warren Injectors, Andy Warren/A1 Performance tranny, PI 1800 rpm Stall Converter, Strictly Diesel Regulated Fuel Return, Absolute Performance Ported intake, Moto Metal MO961 20x9 whe els, 295/60R20 Terra Grapplers, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-03-2012, 11:22 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
stock tranny is pretty good with custom tunes on a sct tuner. lots of options if wanting to beef up yours or go crazy and get a 4r100 and a stand alone controller if going for big power.
whats done to the truck and what do you use it for?
mike

05 ccsb king ranch. 4" turbo back,egr delete, studs, ccv, 58v ficm tuned by eric, little extra fuel pressure, livewire tuned by vivian, mtw stage 1, 175/75s, afe cold air. hid's,led's recon led lights 5% tint80% windshield tint, high idle mod,fog/bright mod, train horns, 4" lift on 20x10s on 35's
amsoil dealer
post #3 of 17 Old 06-03-2012, 11:59 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I would keep the 5r110 and you could just upgrade the tc and that would help out a lot

06 F-250 ccsb King Ranch, 2011 KR interior AC seats, door panels, 3" RC lift, SCT X3, WILDMAN tune, bumpers, Edge CTS, AMSOIL bypass kit, pillar gauges, ARPs, Warren 155s, egr delete, 4" exhaust...the list goes on and on

2004 Toyota 4runner 3" lift Shrockworks bumper and 285's

post #4 of 17 Old 06-03-2012, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
D_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05 smoker View Post
stock tranny is pretty good with custom tunes on a sct tuner. lots of options if wanting to beef up yours or go crazy and get a 4r100 and a stand alone controller if going for big power.
whats done to the truck and what do you use it for?
mike

Already have: SCT tuner/ S&B Cold air

Going under the knife for:
ARP head studs
Durastroke Stage I Turbo
Dozier Diesel Injectors 155/30 or 155/75 injectors
Ford oil Cooler
EGR Delete,
Misc other parts

Daily driving, towing..Stock height

Check this thread..

2007 F-250 Outlaw, Upgrade time, Help please

07 F-250 6.0L Lariat Outlaw, Weaver Performance, Stage III Mad Turbo Werks (Adrian), (IDP, TSD, Gearhead Tunes), 155/30 cc Warren Injectors, Andy Warren/A1 Performance tranny, PI 1800 rpm Stall Converter, Strictly Diesel Regulated Fuel Return, Absolute Performance Ported intake, Moto Metal MO961 20x9 whe els, 295/60R20 Terra Grapplers, etc.

Last edited by D_L; 06-03-2012 at 12:17 PM.
post #5 of 17 Old 06-03-2012, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
D_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by macoyle View Post
I would keep the 5r110 and you could just upgrade the tc and that would help out a lot
Torque convertor Only? no guts? lol

post #6 of 17 Old 06-03-2012, 12:18 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Well with the mods you have I would run the stock trans until you start having issues honestly. Your going to be right around the 500rwhp mark and the stock trans will hold that fine but that's about the max it can handle. I would start saving 6k for a bts and be done with it

06 F-250 ccsb King Ranch, 2011 KR interior AC seats, door panels, 3" RC lift, SCT X3, WILDMAN tune, bumpers, Edge CTS, AMSOIL bypass kit, pillar gauges, ARPs, Warren 155s, egr delete, 4" exhaust...the list goes on and on

2004 Toyota 4runner 3" lift Shrockworks bumper and 285's

post #7 of 17 Old 06-03-2012, 12:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

with what your doing a tc would be plenty. you could do more but its really not worth it

2005 King Ranch, 4" lift, 22x12 American Force nightmares with painted faceplates wrapped in 35" Toyo mt, Rigid Industries dually fog lights with matching 6k HIDs, Harley painted grill,custom Billet Badges King Ranch logo, 4" exhaust, Mag-Hytech rear diff cover, WPE manifold, 205/85 Holder's Diesel injectors, Barder stage 4, ARP studs with OEM gaskets, Warren Diesel built tranny, IPR EGR delete, FDP fuel system with TSD sump. Soon to come AMP steps, and custom headlights

www.flyindiesel.com
post #8 of 17 Old 06-03-2012, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
D_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by macoyle View Post
Well with the mods you have I would run the stock trans until you start having issues honestly. Your going to be right around the 500rwhp mark and the stock trans will hold that fine but that's about the max it can handle. I would start saving 6k for a bts and be done with it
BTS builds some nice trannies, but 6K???

post #9 of 17 Old 06-03-2012, 04:18 PM

I bought a rebuilt trans from SanTan Transmissions in AZ (found them through their eBay store), 30 month/unlimited mile warranty, shift kit, valve body work, (NO 3-5 flare and great shifts), and a torque converter for $1900+ shipping. How good is it? I went 13.96@96.68 Friday night on a 4000ft elevation track and it didn't even hint at having an issue with the power.

Unless you're going with a big a$$ turbo/injectors then the custom tune to power it all, I'd get one of these.

Karl and his 2003 6.0

Barefoot Accelerator Pedal
TRICO Force wiper blades
Yellow Military Aircraft Valve Stem Caps
Offensive "Stick Family" Decal
Big Ol'Honkin 1 1/4" Shank Receiver Hitch

WHAT!?! I was trying to list stuff that everyone else
hasn't already listed for their truck!

post #10 of 17 Old 06-03-2012, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
D_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karls03 View Post
I bought a rebuilt trans from SanTan Transmissions in AZ (found them through their eBay store), 30 month/unlimited mile warranty, shift kit, valve body work, (NO 3-5 flare and great shifts), and a torque converter for $1900+ shipping. How good is it? I went 13.96@96.68 Friday night on a 4000ft elevation track and it didn't even hint at having an issue with the power.

Unless you're going with a big a$$ turbo/injectors then the custom tune to power it all, I'd get one of these.

Sounds good.. Congrats....Anybody else on here buy from them?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode